We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Dry hair sitting on an itchy and dry scalp can be highly irritating. In such situations, no amount of store-bought products can be helpful. However, natural products including natural scalp serum can do wonders for a dry and flaky scalp.
What causes dry and flaky scalp in the first place?
It is quite normal to have some Malassezia on the skin. But having too much of it is linked to dandruff. Another common reason which makes scalp dry and itchy is seborrhea or seborrheic dermatitis. This is a very common skin condition which causes redness, itching, and flaking. While dandruff mostly is the result of overproduction of dead skin, numerous other factors are also responsible for causing dandruff. Other factors which can cause dandruff include a vitamin deficient diet, harsh chemical ingredients found in shampoos and winter air which is also known for producing dry skin.
Natural Remedies for Getting Rid of Dandruff
Quite often, lack of sufficient quantity of water in the body causes dry skin. One more reason to drink more water! Consuming plenty of water also helps overall health, apart from removing dryness of skin and scalp. Fortunately, where most shampoos and conditioners fail to get rid of dandruff, there are quite a few natural ways to do the same. I have tried to enumerate some of these below.
- Use Coconut Oil – Coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids including capric acid and lauric acid. Coconut oil has strong antifungal, antimicrobial and antiviral properties. In several instances, just a week’s application of coconut oil has helped in destroying bacteria, virus or fungus causing dandruff.
- Other Essential Oils – There are quite a few essential oils as well which can make a huge difference. Most of these contain antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Like coconut oil, these also reduce inflammation and treat infections. However, choose 100% pure oils like tea tree, oregano, cypress, evergreen, lemongrass, thyme, wintergreen, or lavender. Make it a point to blend a few drops of them with coconut before application on scalp. Some pure oils are highly concentrated and therefore are required to be blended with carrier oils prior to application.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil is very useful because it can temporarily remove dandruff flakes. Just apply unrefined olive oil to scaly patches on the scalp. Allow it to sit for an hour before combing. In case you have applied too much, it would be best to shampoo later.
- Aloe Vera Gel – Benefits of aloe Vera for skin and scalp are well known. Aloe Vera can soothe and help in healing irritated skin. Aloe also eases itching and scaly skin in people with seborrheic dermatitis. This is a more severe skin condition which creates dandruff.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) – This is an excellent remedy for destroying fungus which is causing dandruff. Apple cider vinegar provides relief from itchiness.
- Probiotics – It is sometimes possible that your diet is part of the problem. A benefit-loaded probiotic can often be a good idea. Probiotics provide beneficial bacteria for the gut. Alongside helping boost overall health, it will also reduce dandruff.
- Omega 3s – It would be wiser to add omega-3 foods to your diet. Foods rich in omega-3 include fresh chia seeds or wild-caught salmon. These help in providing the required hydration to skin and scalp from within. Omega-3 can also fulfill additional deficiencies in vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
Ristrah’s Natural Scalp Serum
Formulated with the finest natural ingredients, Ristrah’s Natural Scalp Serum is ideal for relieving dry, itchy, flaky and irritated scalp. It strengthens hair and helps in maintaining a healthy scalp as well. Lupine extract which is a part of the formulation effectively stimulates microcirculation in the scalp for healthy hair. Clover extracts help in Hair strengthening follicles, while hibiscus and aloe moisturize and soothe scalp at the same time. Vitamin B5 which is another important component of Ristrah’s Natural Scalp Serum is helpful in retaining moisture alongside preventing flakiness and improving hair strength.