We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Shaving cream has been the most popular alternative when it comes to removing unwanted hair for decades. Nowadays, almost everybody uses it. It is a lot quicker than wax hair removal, a lot less painful, and let’s not talk about the price difference between shaving cream, wax, and laser hair removal. It’s incomparable! The effects are the same, but the downside to shaving cream is that the hair grows back a lot quicker. You might even need to shave daily in order to maintain smooth skin on whatever part of your body you desire, because shaving cream works everywhere.
Now, we should also talk about the problem that appears after shaving: ingrown hairs. People who have curly or/and thick hair are struggling with this issue more often than others. What actually is an ingrown hair? Well, it’s hair that grows back into your skin causing small red pimples that look very unappealing, especially when you’re looking for the perfect, smooth skin to show during summertime. It’s understandable why curly hair grows back into the skin, causing inflammation. And while this issue is not usually very big of a deal, things can get pretty ugly. Ingrown hairs can cause infections or even permanent scars. So, in order to avoid having to deal with this problem again and again, there are a few solutions. One of them is the specially-created shaving cream formulas that are created to keep ingrown hairs at bay. This will be the subject of our article today. The best shaving cream for ingrown hairs for this year, along with its uses, types, and what it actually does. Enjoy!
The Top 10 Shaving Creams for Ingrown Hairs
In the chart below, you will find my top 10 rated shaving creams for ingrown hairs options. For a more in-depth review of each type, please click on the Read Review link.
Best Types of Shaving Cream for Ingrown Hairs
While shaving soaps have been used by men for centuries, shaving cream has become increasingly popular after World War II. Slowly, women also began using it, and it transformed into one of the most popular cosmetic products ever. But over the years, the industry transformed, and people wanted to shave easier and quicker. This is how shaving gels and foams came to be. Nowadays, these are the most popular among both men and women, but not because they are better than shaving creams, but because they are easier to use and more accessible. This is why we have created a list of all the types of shaving cream for ingrown hairs which you can easily use to get rid of the unwanted hair. Here we go!
Type 1: Traditional Shaving Cream
This is the first type of shaving cream that became popular during World War II. It looks like a cream, it usually has a pleasant smell, and comes in either a jar or a tub. You can apply it with either your fingers or a brush, the latter being the most recommended way of applying it. A brush also acts as a gentle exfoliator, lifting the hair off your skin and allowing for the razor to cut it better. This is why the best shaving creams for ingrown hairs also come in this form. Most people consider this traditional type of shaving cream the best alternative. It works best when you want a wet shave, and it leaves the skin moisturized and very smooth.
- plus It’s extremely easy to apply
- plus Lifts your hair, making it easier to shave
- plus Provides moisture to the skin
- close It’s the most expensive alternative
- close It’s more difficult to find
- close It takes more time to shave, which some people might not have
Type 2: Shaving Foams
According to experts, shaving foams should be one of your last alternatives unless you don’t have anything else to shave with. The problem with shaving foams is that they often contain alcohol and synthetic perfumes, the number one cause for skin irritation. Then there are the artificial colors and preservatives which leaves the skin very vulnerable to razor burns while also making the process of shaving a bit uncomfortable. Moreover, that foam is actually nothing else but unhealthy gases like propane and isobutane, which trigger that foam in the first place. Because shaving foams usually come in cans, the toxic propellants in there cause the foam to be cold. This closes the pores of the skin and makes the hair stiffer.
- plus A cheaper alternative
- plus Easy and quick to use
- plus Leaves the skin smooth too
- close It can cause irritations
- close The cold foam makes it difficult to shave
- close It contains alcohol and other unhealthy ingredients
Type 3: Shaving Gels
Then there are shaving gels which fall almost into the same category as shaving foams. They too contain alcohol and artificial dyes, which can cause skin irritation. Apart from this, shaving gels can sometimes contain numbing agents that make your skin more vulnerable to cuts and irritations. The same goes for the propellants which can be found in shaving gels too, making the substance cold and the shaving process a lot more difficult. As you can probably imagine, they don’t do much for ingrown hairs too. So, it would be better to simply go with the traditional shaving cream for ingrown hairs if you want excellent results and a skin that’s free of any irritations and problems.
- plus Very affordable and easy to find
- plus Extremely easy and quick to use
- plus Ultimately does its job, but not in the long run
- close Contains unhealthy numbing agents
- close Contains toxic propellants which make the gel cold
- close Can make it harder to shave, not easier
Common Features of Shaving Cream for Ingrown Hairs
Shaving cream has become one of the most popular methods to which people are getting rid of the hair that they don’t want on their bodies. However, before you decide to switch up your shaving routine and maybe introduce shaving cream into it, you should be aware of some of this product’s common features. This is exactly why we have decided to help you, and we have made a list of some of its most important features that you should know everything about.
- check-circle-o It’s a quick solution– Shaving cream, foam, or gel is the quickest solution when it comes to the problem of removing the hair on your body. You simply need to apply the product on your skin and then shave it off with a razor. This quick and easy process will leave your skin smooth and hydrated in no time, and you will be able to enjoy your day without having to worry about anything. It may not be the method that provides the longest-lasting effect, because you constantly need to shave your hair, as opposed to waxing or laser hair removal, but many people prefer it because it’s so easy to do at home.
- check-circle-o It’s the cheapest alternative– Talking about laser hair removal or waxing, we need to mention the fact that a shaving cream, gel, or foam is the most inexpensive hair removal alternative that one can possibly get access to. This product is also incredibly easy to find. Its affordability made it so popular over the years, and this is probably the factor that will continue to put it at the top of everyone’s list when it comes to hair removal.
- check-circle-o It does the job it was designed for– Probably the most important common trait that all shaving creams have is their effectiveness when it comes to hair removal. Shaving creams, gel, or foams get the job done easy and quick. They leave your skin very smooth, hydrated, and formulas for ingrown hairs also prevent those little enemies from appearing on your skin, or under it we should say. It’s very important to choose the product that best suits your needs and if you notice anything strange like irritations or other skin issues, it’s important that you stop using that product immediately! Not all formulas are good for you, and it’s crucial to learn how to recognize the signals while it’s not too late.
Things to Consider Before Buying Shaving Cream for Ingrown Hairs
Now that we know about the different types of shaving creams, it’s also important to be aware of your specific needs, because everyone has their own. So, before deciding on a certain product to remove unwanted hair with, you should stop and think about certain things that you should consider before buying shaving cream, gel, or foam, especially if it’s especially-made for ingrown hairs. It’s crucial to acknowledge the fact that no matter what you do, not every formula out there will suit you. If something unusual happens after you start using your shaving cream, stop using it right away and go search for another option. Sometimes, it’s simply your skin that doesn’t react well to certain products, and not the products themselves. So, it’s key to know precisely what you want from a shaving cream for ingrown hairs, apart from the obvious. And because this article has been written to help you, we offer you a list of important things that you should take into consideration before buying shaving cream, gel, or foam.
Is Your Skin Sensitive?
Having sensitive skin can be a huge pain in the neck, and when it comes to shaving, things can get even uglier. It’s not that you cannot shave with cream, it’s what happens afterward that might displease you. Usually, people who have sensitive skin get irritations and ingrown hairs after shaving. And if ingrown hairs exfoliation and specially-made creams can help when it comes to irritations, you should know precisely what calms your skin. A few effective after-shave treatments for treating irritations are baby oil, aloe vera-based products, honey, or even cold compresses.
Do You Have Time To Shave Almost Daily
Before deciding to buy shaving cream, you should establish from the get go whether or not you will have the time that’s necessary for you to shave almost daily. If you are a busy person, this method might not be the most perfect for you. You might want to invest in a laser hair removal treatment to get rid of unwanted hair for good, or go to a salon for waxing, about once a month. It all depends on you and how much time you are willing to invest in this. It’s not a secret that while being the cheapest alternative, shaving at home using creams, gels, or foams can take some time, especially if your hair grows fast and you need to go through this on a daily basis. So, think carefully.
Do You Have Curly or Thick Hair? Prepare for Ingrown Hairs!
The last thing that you may want to take into account before deciding on a shaving cream is whether or not you have curly or thick hair. In this case, prepare for ingrown hairs after shaving. A hair becomes ingrown when it curls back inwards after growing out of the follicle. This usually creates what looks like a red pimple that everyone hates. And while the subject of this article is shaving cream for ingrown hairs, which you can go and buy, you can also try exfoliating your skin. This gets rid of the dead cells and might also help you with this problem. Ingrown hairs usually appear in areas that do not breathe too much and are restricted by tight clothing, like the armpits or pubic area.
Questions To Ask Yourself Before Buying Shaving Cream for Ingrown Hairs
It’s clear that you now know a lot more about shaving creams, gels, and foams than you did before reaching this article. This is excellent. However, this is not the end. You might still have some unanswered questions regarding this shaving method and it’s important for you to get the right answers before deciding to go down this route. With this being said, here is yet another list of important questions that you need to ask yourself before buying shaving cream for ingrown hairs. Here we go!
Q: Do I really need to shave on a daily basis?
A: The answer to this question lies in your head. But in theory, you don’t need to shave with cream on a daily basis. In reality, you might need to do it. It all depends on how fast your hair is growing and how smooth you prefer your skin to look. You can do it daily, or you can do it weekly. It’s all up to you and your body! You might already know the rate at which your hair usually grows back, so you might already have the answer to this question in your mind.
Q: Can I use something else on my skin after shaving?
A: As long as these specific products do not irritate or harm your skin in any way, you can use anything you want. However, it’s the safest bet to use something that calms your skin after shaving it, like aloe vera gels or baby oil, and leave your skin alone. The same goes for all the other areas that you shaved, like the armpits or the pubic area. Keep in mind that your pores are open after shaving and certain products that did not affect you before might do it now because your skin is simply too sensitive. So, it would be much better to wait a few hours before applying any other product on your skin.
Why is Shaving Cream for Ingrown Hairs Awesome?
Well, there is a very large number of reasons why shaving cream for ingrown hairs is awesome. The first would be that it helps you with this pressing issue, the ingrown hairs. Also, this product doesn’t really have any negative side effects as long as you know how to use it, when and where. Still, here is our list of important reasons why shaving cream for ingrown hairs is awesome and valuable. Enjoy!
It Is Very Easy To Use
This reason is rather self-explanatory, as we’ve previously covered this topic. Shaving unwanted hair off your body using shaving creams, gels, or foams is the easiest hair removal method out there. Yes, it may not last that long as other methods, but it saves you a lot of money, effort, and pain. It’s the perfect method for when you’re in a hurry at home, and you really want to wear that sexy dress that you recently bought. Simply apply the product on your skin, get your razor, preferably a qualitative one, shave the hair, and then rinse with water. Apply a calming product on your skin afterward and voila! You’re good to go!
Everyone Can Use It
We should remember that shaving cream was initially a product specially-designed for men to shave their beards. In time, women also adopted this method because they found it easy and inexpensive. So yes, everybody can use shaving cream, gel, or foam because everybody most certainly has hair that they don’t want on their body. This product is also suited for every part of your body, so you shouldn’t worry about buying specifically-designed shaving cream for your legs and another product for your armpits or pubic area.
It Is A Cheap Method
Yes, shaving cream is a rather cheap product which has enormous benefits. This is probably the reason why it has become so popular. And apart from it being so inexpensive and easy to find, you also have a lot of alternatives to choose from. You might not like shaving cremes. No problem! You can always buy a shaving foam or a shaving gel for your specific needs! Sometimes, those are even cheaper than the traditional shaving cream.
Recommended Best Sellers
- Contains Aloe and is formulated to be Non irritating on sensitive skin
- Moisturizers and lubricants provide excellent razor glide
- Cooling conditioners leave your face feeling refreshed
- 2 in 1
- Gel plus skin care
- Soothe while boosting skins moisture level.
- With shea butter, natural aloe & oats.
- Antioxidants vitamins E + C help skin look radiantly healthy.
Now that we are almost at the end of our article on the best shaving cream for ingrown hairs, there must still be some questions that you might want answered. And seeing how people usually have rather similar curiosities, we have prepared one last list of the most common questions that you might have regarding this topic, along with the answers to them. Here we go!
- chevron-circle-right Q: When should I shave? In the morning or evening?
- chevron-circle-rightA: It’s the best to shave in the evening, towards the end of your shower. That is because your pores open due to the hot water, a fact that will make the shaving process a lot easier. It’s not preferable to shave in the morning because that’s when our bodies are usually a bit swollen from overnight. This makes the skin hide parts of their hair, which will make the result of the shaving uneven or the process difficult.
- chevron-circle-right Q: How often should I change my razor?
- chevron-circle-rightA: The basic rule says that you should replace your razor every three shaves. However, there are certain razors that can be used for longer. However, be careful to not exaggerate and use the same razor for a month, for example! Also, it’s important to change your razor once it begins to feel dull and inefficient. Apart from this, a dull razor can cut you, pull hair, skip them, or make for a very unpleasant shaving experience altogether.
So, this was our article on the best shaving cream for ingrown hairs for 2018 that you can choose from. As we’ve previously said, shaving cream has become more and more popular because it’s both easy to use, efficient, and most importantly, cheap. Apart from this, there are a lot of options to choose from and types, like the shaving gel or shaving foam. All of them are efficient but not in the long run. So, it’s important to know that if you want long-term results, you should opt for a different hair removal method, like waxing or laser.
Of course, there are some drawbacks to certain types of shaving creams, but this happens with any other cosmetic product. The shaving cream for ingrown hairs is one of the best options out there, especially if you struggle with this issue. The key is to choose the best option for your specific needs and find a way for it to work. So, what did you think about this article? Did it help you in any way? Did it provide you with any new information? Will you change your shaving routine from now on? If you want a cheap and effective shaving technique, you definitely should!
External References and Citations
- chevron-circle-right Best Shaving Gels for Women
- chevron-circle-right How to Get Rid of Ingrown Hairs
- chevron-circle-right Best Shaving Cream for Men
Last update on 2018-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API