Open any beauty blog, glossy magazine, or the medicine cabinet of a skin care obsessed person, and you will most certainly find at least a serum in there. They will be most likely placed right between the cleanser and the moisturizer, two other holy grails of facial skin care. But where did this serum craze start? How did it come to be and most importantly, why are so many people obsessed with this product? Also, should you start doing the same? To answer these questions, in this article, we are going to talk about the best night serums for 2018, their benefits, the differences between various types and most importantly, what are the best products that you can try.
According to experts, modern people have become a lot more interested in their skincare routines and put a lot of effort into finding the best products for their skin. They have also become more aware of what layering can do for the skin’s health. This is where a good serum comes in, helping you add more intensity to the skin care regimen. By using any kind of serum, you take the more profound approach when it comes to things like hydration or anti-aging. Serums are so strong because they have a more concentrated formula, as opposed to gels or cremes. This is why you will only need two or three drops of product to take care of your entire face. Because it has a light texture, people with oily skin can use it by itself, while people with drier skin can mix it with a moisturizer, for a maximum effect. In this article, we will also provide you with the answers to some of the most important and common questions that you might have about serum in general, and night serums in particular. Here we go!
Top 10 Night Serum Options
In the chart below, you will find my top 10 rated Night Serum options. For a more in-depth review of each type, please click on the Read Review link.
Read My Review
Best Types of Night Serum
As is the case with any other product out there, the one size fits all theory doesn’t always work, especially when it comes to skin care. Every person out there is unique in their own way, and their skin needs special and targeted care. Before talking about the different types of night serums, we should be aware of the fact that people’s skin reacts differently to various products. Also, what works for you might not work for your friend, so it’s best to not recommend products that might wreak havoc on other people’s skin. This is the reason why there are so many different beauty products, each with its own benefits and disadvantages. Night serums are no exception!
And while this large number of products needs to be appreciated, it makes it almost impossible to choose the best product for you. This is why we have decided to detail the various types of night serums out so that you can educate yourself to know what to be on the lookout for and what might work best for your skin. And seeing how the facial serum business is still transforming, you might get it wrong the first time. But don’t worry! In time, you will learn to recognize the needs of your skin and what products can deliver. Here are the best types of night serum out there that you can choose from and try as soon as possible. Enjoy!
Type 1: Anti-Aging Night Serum
When they initially appeared on the market, anti-aging night serums were the most popular among skincare lovers. In theory, they can fight and reverse the most common signs of aging while also keeping this process from evolving so rapidly. Their targets are the fine lines on the face, wrinkles, and the signs of sagging. Apart from this, anti-aging night serums are plumping and firming the skin to prevent any more signs from appearing. Moreover, in theory, they help with cell renewal and cell repair, helping to fight the process of aging from the inside. This type of night serum contains large amounts of retinol which is a derivative of VitaminA, famous for its anti-aging properties. It increases the collagen production, making the skin more elastic and therefore, more youthful looking. Most anti-aging serums are for nighttime use because it has been suggested that the sun’s UV rays negatively affect the retinol and could cause serious side effects. By using it at night, your skin’s repairing process gets a boost, and the effects will be maximum. An anti-aging night serum can also contain Vitamin C, fruit stem cells, primrose and grape seed extract, and peptides.
- plus Prevents the aging process
- plus Softens the clear signs of aging
- plus Very easy to use
- close Can be expensive
- close Only for nighttime use
- close Can cause side effects if used during daytime
Type 2: Hydrating Night Serum
A hydrating night serum is for when your skin is so dehydrated and dry that moisturizers and lotions just won’t work anymore. However, this product is not meant as a replacement for your daily moisturizer! The idea is to make them work together in order to maximize the hydrating effect and therefore make your skin look and feel a lot better. This is why you should keep using your moisturizer and lotion during the day, while also applying a hydrating serum at night. Your skin repairs a lot faster when you are sleeping, and the serum will boost that effect. These types of serums are able to penetrate deep into your skin’s pores and deliver an extra layer of hydration. There are also daytime hydrating serums that you can use. It’s important to remember to use your serum before applying your moisturizer! It will help lock in all of these benefits. Hydrating night serums can contain glycerin, Argan oil, aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, rosewater, jojoba, and Vitamin E.
- plus Offers an extra layer of hydration
- plus Very easy to use
- plus Affordable and easy to find
- close A long routine
- close Not suited for very oily skin
- close Won’t deliver effects unless used regularly and for a longer time
Type 3: Renewing Night Serums
Apart from working their magic when it comes to anti-aging, night serums also work for renewing and repairing the skin. The idea of a night serum is to turn back the hands of time and restore that youthful appearance of your skin. This is exactly what a renewing night serum does! You might not need this product if you’re in your 20s, but after that, things start to change. It’s like battle scars that your skin acquires after numerous wars throughout the years. Seasons and years leave your skin with acne scars, sun damage, dryness, discoloration, wrinkles, and fine lines. This is exactly what a renewing night serum repairs. The trick with renewing and reparative night serums is that they are able to stimulate the skin’s natural repair processes. So basically, your skin will still heal itself, but it will benefit from a boost to make it more quickly. This serum promoted the growth of certain skin cells like elastin and collagen. Moreover, these serums also work to protect your skin from free radicals which daily aggressors cause. They can also contain seaweed, green tea, retinol, Omega 3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and essential oils.
- plus Repair and regenerate your skin
- plus Help with wrinkles, sun damage, and acne
- plus Easy to apply and find
- close Might be a bit expensive
- close Might not offer results for everyone
- close More suited for people over 30
Common Features of Night Serum
When it comes to a good skin care regimen, most people think they already know it all. A good cleanser, a nice moisturizer, a lotion, sunscreen, and you’re good to go. However, not everyone pays enough attention to serums, even if recently, this product is becoming increasingly popular. This is a thin gel that you need to rub on your face and neck and your life will be forever changed! No, it’s not a joke! A serum is a much-concentrated formula that is a lot more efficient and strong than your usual moisturizers or lotions. This is why you should know everything about this miraculous product so that you can integrate it into your skincare routine. Trust us, you will not regret it! Here are some common features of night serums that you should know about before deciding to choose one for yourself. Here we go!
- check-circle-o Fights back aging– Facial serums are mostly known for their impressive anti-aging properties. They are very rich in certain nutrients that help fight back the signs of aging or prevent this process from unraveling too quickly. It’s interesting that serums usually contain water-based nutrients, which means that the skin easily absorbs them, unlike heavier ingredients like mineral oil and petrolatum, which other cremes usually contain. Dermatologists called serums the “workhorses” of skin care routines in the sense that they work the hardest and deliver the best results. Anti-aging serums are gentle and also very suited for people with sensitive skin.
- check-circle-o Works well in combination with other products– It’s important to know that facial serums also work very well when combined with other skin care products like cremes or lotions. However, it’s crucial to be aware of the fact that serums do not replace these other products but help them deliver the best results. So, don’t eliminate your moisturizer or sunscreen out of your skin care routine just because you have now discovered a good serum. It’s also worth noting that serum is not designed to provide the same level of hydration as a moisturizer, which is why you should use them both. You first need to apply the serum, let the skin absorb it, and then move on to moisturizer. Your skin will thank you!
- check-circle-o It is very easy to use and find– Seeing how facial serums have become more and more popular among skincare enthusiasts it won’t be a challenge to find the right type for you in stores. Apart from this, both daytime and nighttime facial serums are extremely easy to apply, as they absorb very well into the skin. You only need to use a very small quantity, two to three drops which will cover your entire face. So, even if a face serum might be a bit more expensive than a normal face cream, it will last a lot longer and provide more advanced results, especially if used in combination with other similar products. If you want to apply a serum in the morning, you should do so after the cleanser but before the moisturizer and/or sunscreen. If you want to apply it in the evening, do it after cleansing your face but before applying your night cream. By putting the serum on your face first, after cleansing your face, the skin will absorb it and enjoy all of the nutrients that it contains.
Things To Consider Before Buying Night Serum
We have now discussed the different types of night serum out there, and you should know a lot more about this incredible product than you did before. However, it is now time to talk about some of the most important things that you should take into consideration before deciding to buy and use a night serum, especially if you’ve never used it before. For instance, it can get quite confusing when you realize that a facial serum offers hydration, but you still need to use a moisturizer. Also, when you find out that it’s oily, but not necessarily a face oil. Yeah, that sort of thing. But this is why we are here for, so here are some of the most important things that you need to take into account before buying night serum (or any kind of serum, for that matter). Enjoy!
How Often Should You Apply Serum
This is a matter that will be revealed to you only after you’ve read the label of the product, mainly because each type of serum is different. However, generally speaking, a facial serum, no matter if for daytime or for nighttime, should be applied once a day. Because it has such a concentrated formula, it will surely be enough. If it’s a daytime one, apply it in the morning, if it’s a night serum, apply it in the evening, before going to bed. It’s quite simple, but it would be the best to study the label before putting it on your face, and this should be the case for any kind of product!
Why You Should Buy Something More Expensive Than a Moisturizer
Yes, facial serums can be on the more expensive side of the skincare market, hence the need to know everything about this product before deciding to buy it. However, there is a serious reason for this. It’s because as opposed to normal moisturizers, serums have a more concentrated formula, full of beneficial nutrients, vitamins, and oils that will offer your skin a boost. Apart from this, serums do not contain any fillers, as moisturizers do, so they will do a more thorough job. However, you still need to use them both if you want the maximum effect for your skin, as we’ve previously discussed. So, you’d better make some economies to buy a serum that is good for you and use it the right way. It will also last you a long time, because you only need a very small amount.
If You Have Sensitive Or Acne-Prone Skin
Don’t worry! There are specially made facial serums that will take care of your skin without hurting it in any way. They do not contain any harsh chemicals or alcohol, and in the case of acne prone skin, you’d better choose a serum that contains Vitamin C, salicylic acid, and retinol. Those ingredients will help reduce inflammation, unclog pores, and also act as an antioxidant. Green tea extract is also good for sensitive skin, as it’s gentle and a very good cleanser. There are also serums that contain alpha hydroxy acids which some have said can irritate sensitive skin. But that won’t be the case if the concentration of acids is small. So, again, be careful when reading the label of the product!
Questions To Ask Before Buying Night Serum
We are now getting near the end of our article on the best night serum on the market for this year. However, there are some important facts that we still need to discuss, like what questions you should ask before deciding to buy this product. This is very important because the answers to these questions will provide you with an even better understanding of what a facial serum can actually do. Taking those things into account will help you make the right choice for your skin and its problems, as well as understanding the beneficial effects that a night serum might have on your skin. Here we go!
Q: Is night serum right for any skin type?
A: Yes, this product can be used by anyone, no matter their skin type. In fact, there are facial serums that are specially designed for various skin types, from oily to dry, acne prone, or wrinkly skin. We have already said that you should look for Vitamin C and salicylic acid if you have acne prone skin. Also, choose a product that has Vitamin E if you have dry skin, and one that has antioxidants like green tea, if you feel like your skin is dull. As for wrinkly and older-looking skin, choose a serum that has retinol and hyaluronic acid in it.
Q: Is essence the same thing as serum?
A: Well, taking into account where they should come into your skin care routine and the function they serve, yes, essence can be considered similar to serum. However, the only difference between them is their texture. While serums are more concentrated and gooier, essences are more lightweight and watered-down, more fluid if you’d like. Still, this is mostly a difference that marketing is making, because these products are, in fact, very similar in nature.
Q: How soon will I start seeing results?
A: Using a facial serum and expecting to see results after one week is madness. This product works in time, after frequently using it and its actually more of a long-run solution, especially the anti-aging ones. The idea here is to prevent aging from occurring so quickly, not making you look 20 in three days. A serum is not a magic potion, no product is, and if you expect that you will feel very disappointed in the end.
Why Is Night Serum Awesome?
There are many reasons why night serum if such an awesome and valuable product. We have already touched upon some of them, but there are more to come. So, here are some of the reasons why this product is so amazing, popular, and why it has triggered such a craze among skin care enthusiasts. Enjoy!
It Provides a Profound Skin Care
Because it’s such a concentrated and rich formula, a facial serum provides your skin with a more profound care. By applying it to your face immediately after cleanser, your skin benefits from all the healthy nutrients in it while absorbing the product. It’s unlike any other cream, gel, or lotion because it’s something more than that.
You Have Many Types To Choose From
There are also a lot of types and alternatives to choose from when it comes to facial serums. There are daytime and nighttime ones, as well as serums for dry, wrinkly, acne-prone, or sensitive skin. No matter in what category you fall into, there will be a product suited for you. You just have to educate yourself and find it.
Recommended Best Seller
- Best for Dry, Combo, Normal Skin
- Good for Dullness/Uneven Texture
- Good for Anti-AgingGood for: Anti-Aging
- [ PEPTIDE COMPLEX ] Help reduced the look of fine lines and wrinkles while...
- [ OVERNIGHT MOISTURIZER ] Helps soften, hydrate and retain skin's moisture with...
- [ GENTLE ON SKIN ] Fragrance free, non-comedogenic, and non-irritating formula
- Visibly reduce wrinkles, even deep ones: Revitalift Night Serum with 0.3 percent...
- Pure Retinol – Purity is important for retinol efficacy in skin, as pure...
- Effective and stable: Though Most Effective, Pure Retinol is unstable and can be...
Before ending this article on the best night serums out there, we must first answer some of the most common questions that people have regarding this amazing product. And seeing how people’s curiosities are usually similar, you might also find the answer you’ve been looking for right here.
- chevron-circle-right Q: Won’t my face become greasy after applying a serum?
- chevron-circle-rightA: No, your face will not become a greasy mess after you’ve applied a face serum. This won’t happen even if you have oily skin because it will be absorbed immediately, thanks to its light and concentrated formula. Having a greasy face is the last thing that you need to worry about when using a facial serum.
- chevron-circle-right Q: Can everyone use a facial serum?
- chevron-circle-rightA: Yes, everyone can use it, apart from children. Such cosmetic and skin care products are not meant for such young skin, so it’s better to avoid them. But when it comes to adults, both men and women can benefit from these serums’ incredible effects. While our skin might be different, in essence, it needs the same nutrients to be healthy and maintain its youthful appearance. There are even specially-made serums for men, which will help their skin glow and have a beautiful and healthy appearance.
So, what did you think about our article on the best night serum on the market in 2018? Do you now feel like you know more about this popular and incredible skin care product? It’s worth noting that both daytime and nighttime facial serums have amazing benefits for the skin and should be used regularly and for a long time. Expecting to see clear results after a week is madness and completely wrong! Any skincare product needs time to work, and the skin needs time to adjust to it. This won’t happen in just a few days.
Apart from this, it’s important to keep in mind that there are facial serums specially-designed for every skin type and problem out there. From the popular anti-aging ones to the products that deal with dry, acne-prone, and wrinkly skin. There is a product for everyone, but you’ll just need to inform yourself and look for the one that will best suit your needs. We hope that you enjoyed our article and learned valuable information from it. Are you now going to try this product? Tell us your opinions down below!
External References and Citations
- chevron-circle-right Best face serum for any problem
- chevron-circle-right Best face serums on a budget
- chevron-circle-right The truth about face serums
Last update on 2023-04-18 at 02:11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API