Makeup remover is one of those products that must be used every single day and which, despite its name, must be applied regardless if you’re wearing makeup or not. However, we all know that at the end of a very long and hard day, all you want to do is throw yourself on the bed and sleep. Removing your makeup should come first, even if sometimes, it can really be a struggle. It doesn’t even matter that scrolling through your social media feeds is everything that you are busy with that evening. It just seems like too much work to remove your makeup. However, you should, by all means, resist the temptation to go to sleep with makeup on. It’s one of the biggest mistakes that you can make!
One of the reasons why doing this is so harmful is because at night, your skin repairs itself a lot quicker than during the day. The idea here is to allow it to breathe and regenerate instead of keeping it covered with layers of makeup. According to experts, not removing your makeup at night will only cause all these products to enter your skin and clog your pores. In turn, this leads to an entire series of problems, from acne to large pores and irritations. Makeup removers also help wash away the free radicals on your skin, which stimulate the aging process. Nobody wants that, for sure! This is why it’s very important to know everything about makeup remover before making your choice. In this article, we will be discussing the different types of makeup remover, how they work, and the answers to any questions that you may have regarding this incredible product. Here we go!
Top 10 Makeup Remover Options
In the chart below, you will find my top 10 rated Makeup Remover options. For a more in-depth review of each type, please click on the Read Review link.
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Best Types of Makeup Remover
Nowadays’ waterproof and extra-resistant makeup makes it an almost impossible mission to remove it easily in the evening. And we are back to square one, forcing ourselves to do it because we know it’s beneficial. However, choosing a suitable makeup remover for your skin can be a very difficult task. Everyone is different, and everyone has their own preferences. Also, what works for your friend might not work for you. This is why it’s so crucial to gather as much information as possible about this essential product before deciding to buy a certain type or brand.
Even if there are makeup remover options that are specially designed for eyes, lips, or face, the best solution would be to choose one that does it all. The last thing you want to do when you are extra tired is to make sure that you are using a specific kind of makeup remover. There are a lot of options out there, from a lot of brands. And seeing how our understanding of how makeup works has increased over the past few years, most of these products do their job very well. Still, it’s up to you to choose accordingly to your needs and preferences. Here are the best types of makeup remover that you can buy and try out.
Type 1: Gel, Cream, Oil, and Foam Makeup Remover
We have placed all of these types of makeup removers in one category because they are very similar in nature. The only thing that is different, in most cases, is the texture, which is everyone’s personal preference. You can try every one of them and see how your skin reacts. A foam texture is very lightweight, while a gel is heavier, and a cream the heaviest. Makeup removers based on oil are the best solution when it comes to removing waterproof makeup. Apart from these minor differences, these makeup removers are all designed for one purpose: to help you clean your skin and allow it to breathe. Choose wisely and think about what you like.
- plus There’s a wide range of prices and products to choose from
- plus Most of them do their job very well
- plus They are very easy to use and efficient
- close Oils don’t suit every skin type
- close Takes multiple applications to remove makeup
- close Won’t remove makeup completely
Type 2: Micellar Water
This is the liquid type of makeup remover that everyone keeps talking about. While some people might think of it as a “scam” because you can put water on your face in your bathroom without having to pay for it, experts are certain that this is definitely not a “scam.” Micellar water actually contains small balls of mild surfactant called micelles. Once they are released onto a cotton pad, they rearrange themselves and cleanse your face thoroughly. It’s also the only such product that doesn’t require rinsing, which is again, excellent for when you’re very tired. It is probably the most effective makeup remover out there, but it’s certainly not for everyone.
- plus Doesn’t require rinsing
- plus Does an excellent job
- plus It’s gentle and amazing for fixing your makeup too
- close Used only with cotton pads
- close Only for water-proof makeup
- close It can be rather expensive for something called “water”
Type 3: Makeup Wipes
Makeup wipes, towelettes, or cloths are specially designed for removing your makeup without using water. They are the quickest alternative and are perfect for using on the road when you’re traveling. These kinds of makeup removers are excellent for removing only certain parts of your makeup and then re-applying it. They are also the cheapest alternative when it comes to choosing between various types of makeup removers. Usually, they suit all skin types, but are not very effective at removing waterproof makeup.
- plus Cheapest alternatives
- plus Very easy to use, don’t require water
- plus Perfect for traveling
- close Not as efficient as other types
- close Doesn’t always remove waterproof makeup
- close Packages don’t last long
Common Features of Makeup Remover
Everyone who is a fan of makeup knows how difficult it can be to thoroughly remove a full face of makeup, especially after a special event. All that color, glitter, foundation, and lipstick need to be taken off before going to bed. This is where makeup remover comes into play. And while there are certain types that cleanse your face better than others (oil-based formulas are recommended for such strong makeup), makeup remover still has a lot of common features that you need to know about. Especially if you are only now trying to decide on a specific type and you’re not sure what to choose. Enjoy!
- check-circle-o It removes makeup after a long day– There is nothing more satisfying than going home, applying a good makeup remover and watching all those products being wiped away from your face. You are left with a clean canvas that you can then hydrate and allow to breathe and rest, as it prepares for the following day. This is essentially the most obvious common feature of all types of makeup remover. They may not all be as efficient, and they may not all suit your needs and skin type, but the main idea is still there. It’s your choice whether to choose a cream, foam, gel, or liquid formula, or if you prefer the quick alternative of makeup wipes. But we have already touched on these different types of makeup remover.
- check-circle-o It is very easy to use– There is no such thing as a makeup remover type that is difficult to apply. Almost all of these formulas do not require anything other than your hands and your gentle care. Micellar water doesn’t even need to be rinsed off, while makeup wipes don’t require even one drop of water. They will all remove your makeup in certain proportions, depending on various factors. Brands are well aware of the struggle that comes with removing your makeup while you are incredibly tired after a long day. This is exactly why they have tried, and succeeded, to come up with certain products that make this job easier. This is a task that should never be ignored, no matter how tired you are. Your skin will thank you later.
- check-circle-o It is a fairly cheap product-The last common feature that we will talk about involves the price of makeup remover. It is indeed a fairly cheap product if we are to compare it with other skin care products, like creams, moisturizers, serums, or masks. Makeup wipes are usually the cheapest alternative, while micellar water can be more expensive. Even cream or gel formulas can enter this category sometimes. However, considering what an important role makeup remover fulfills, the price should be the last thing on your mind. And in this case, it really is something that you shouldn’t bother with at all. No matter which type of makeup remover you choose, the price will still be lower than that of many other skin care products out there.
Things To Consider Before Buying Makeup Remover
We have now talked about the different types of makeup remover out there that one can choose from. However, this article wouldn’t be complete without a list of very important things that you should take into account before deciding on a specific type or brand of makeup remover. Before moving forward, everyone should be aware of the fact that not every product on the market is right for them. Sometimes, it’s your skin that doesn’t accommodate well with the ingredients in the makeup remover. In that case, you should simply move forward and try to find a better-suited product for you. So, keeping this in mind, here are some of the most important things that you should consider before buying makeup remover. Enjoy!
What Kind of Makeup Do You Usually Apply?
This question is extremely important because its answer will help you determine what specific type of makeup remover might be good for you. For example, if you are someone who likes cream-based foundation formulas, you should stick to a two-step routine made of makeup cleanser and micellar water. When it comes to the layers of black mascara and eyeliner, the best alternative would be a biphasic makeup remover. The oil in it will cut through the strong pigment while the water will soothe your skin. Again, an oil-based formula is the perfect solution for glittery makeup, because water won’t do the trick. Finally, for long-lasting lipsticks, you might need a product that’s specially designed for removing lipstick. Also, you can apply a thick layer of a cream or oil-based makeup remover, leave it on for a few minutes, and then remove it with a makeup wipe.
Do You Have Sensitive Skin?
In case you are someone who has sensitive skin, removing your makeup can get a little tricky. According to experts, the best makeup remover for you is the one that does not contain any traces of alcohol and has a low acid concentration. These are usually found in most makeup remover products, hence the need to be extra careful when choosing a product. Alcohol and acids will only cause irritations on your sensitive skin, and nobody wants that. Alpha hydroxy acids are your main enemies and any product containing them should not be applied anywhere near the eye area.
How Much Time Do You Have In The Evening?
This is an extremely important question because its answer will provide you with the best options when it comes to makeup remover. Depending on how late you arrive back home and how busy and tired you are in the evening, you can choose the best makeup remover for you. For example, for extra-busy and tired people, micellar water is the best alternative because you don’t need to rinse it off. Also, makeup wipes, because they don’t require water and you can simply wipe your face while in bed. However, if you have a bit of time in the evening and want to have a complete makeup removal routine, start with a different formula of makeup remover, then follow up with a swipe of micellar water and finally, wash and hydrate your face before going to bed.
Questions To Ask Before Buying Makeup Remover
We are now getting close to the end of our article on the best makeup remover options for this year. However, there are still a lot of questions that people might have regarding this topic. In this part of the article we will talk about the most important questions that you need to ask before buying makeup remover and the answers to them. This is very important mainly because these answers will provide you with a better understanding of this product and what might be the best option for you and your skin type. Here we go!
Q: Why can’t I simply use tap water to remove my makeup?
A: Because tap water and micellar water are not the same thing. Even if you are thinking of using bottled water, it’s still a big mistake. We have already talked about the composition of micellar water and how the micelles are the most important because they are breaking apart the layers of makeup that you have one, dissolving them. Simply because it contains the word “water” doesn’t mean that it is actually only water. It’s a cosmetic liquid designed for skin care and makeup removal. So, you should never try to use only tap or bottled water to remove your makeup because it won’t work. Also, tap water has a lot of chemicals on it that shouldn’t really be rubbed on your face, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Q: Can I use baby wipes to remove my makeup?
A: Baby wipes and makeup wipes are not the same thing, even if many people think so. The sole purpose of baby wipes is to clean what a baby does in their diaper. Even if they might be gentle enough for a baby’s bottom, this doesn’t mean that you can put them on your face. Human waste needs strong chemicals to be cleansed. Now, imagine putting all these chemicals on your face and rubbing your skin with a baby wipe. And while there are organic and vegan baby wipes out there, they cost a lot more and are still not the best idea to put on your face.
Q: Will the cheapest makeup remover alternative still do its job?
A: This depends on your skin, makeup type, quality and quantity, and how much you care about your face. There is a golden rule that applies when buying any kind of cosmetic product: never buy the cheapest one! Even if you may not afford a more expensive product, avoid the cheapest one on the shelf! These usually contain weird ingredients, are not approved, or are simply useless. If a very cheap makeup remover does its job on you, you’re lucky! Keep using that! However, these occasions are rare, and it’s a lot safer to choose a medium-priced product, especially when it’s something that you need to rub your face with.
Why Is Makeup Remover Awesome?
We should begin this final part of our article on makeup remover by saying that the list of reasons why this product is so awesome and valuable is almost endless. It’s one of the most important products if you want to wear makeup daily and also have beautiful skin. We have already touched on some of these reasons, but there are still a few of them left for us to discuss. Makeup remover is one of those products that cannot damage your skin in any way, is very beneficial, and helps you maintain clean and healthy skin. So, here are a few reasons why makeup remover is such an awesome and valuable product.
It’s For Any Skin Type
You don’t have to worry about makeup remover not suiting your skin type. There are a lot of options to choose from, and you will surely find something for your needs. Actually, skin type doesn’t matter so much when it comes to this product. One of the few exceptions would be when you have oily skin. If that’s the case, you’d better avoid oil-based makeup removers because it will not be for you. If you need to take waterproof makeup off, you can gently use the oil-based remover only on the eye or lip area, without putting it all over your face.
There Are A Lot Of Types To Choose From
We have previously talked about the many types of makeup removers out there that you can choose from. There are cheap alternatives, like the makeup wipes, as well as medium-priced or more expensive alternatives, like micellar water or gel, cream and foam products. It’s up to you to test some of them and find out what best suits your specific needs and your wishes.
It Cleans Your Skin
Probably the most obvious reason why makeup remover is so awesome and valuable. And it’s the most important reason too because this is its sole purpose, to clean your skin and remove any harmful makeup residue that might be left on your face. Their types, brands, and prices do not matter when it comes to this reason, because essentially, this is the reason why we buy and use makeup removers.
- Neutrogena bottle of dual-phase 100% oil-free liquid eye makeup remover and...
- Oil-free and non-greasy eye makeup remover formula helps remove all eye makeup,...
- For best use, shake liquid makeup remover well to activate and effectively...
- Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water: Use as a facial cleanser in the AM and as a...
- Micellar Water s effective yet gentle; It's simple, micellar cleansing water...
- Our Best Micellar Water For You: You've seen Garnier micellar waters on the Best...
- Garnier Waterproof Micellar Cleansing Water is a facial cleanser that soothes...
- This Garnier micellar cleansing water removes dirt, excess oil and impurities...
- Micellar water for waterproof makeup is suitable for all skin types, and it's a...
Before reaching the end of our article on the best makeup remover options for this year, we still have a few questions left to answer. People’s curiosities are usually similar, and this is why we have decided to shed some light on certain mysteries surrounding this product. Here we go!
- chevron-circle-right Q: Is it really necessary to use makeup remover even if I didn’t apply makeup?
- chevron-circle-rightA: Yes, you need to use makeup remover or some kind of cleanser every night before going to bed, even if you didn’t apply makeup throughout the day. It needs to become a habit for everyone to cleanse their skin before going to sleep. Makeup is not the only thing that can affect our skin and clog our pores. There’s dust, free radicals, and bacteria that can harm our skin and trigger irritations, and other problems. Also, it’s recommended to apply makeup remover even before putting on makeup because you don’t want to apply all those layers over a layer of dirt.
- chevron-circle-right Q: Do I need to use a different makeup remover for waterproof and non-waterproof makeup?
- chevron-circle-rightA: Yes, this is absolutely necessary because otherwise, waterproof makeup either won’t budge or you will have to aggressively rub your face and eyes to take it off. This is by no means recommended because it can seriously damage your skin and eyes and can cause infections and irritations. So yes, the best method would be to keep two type of makeup removers nearby, just in case.
So, this was our article on the best makeup remover options for 2018 that you can choose from and buy. This product is essential for maintaining the health and good looks of your skin, especially if you are wearing makeup daily. It’s crucial to remove it every evening and never sleep with makeup on! There are also a lot of types of makeup remover that you can choose from in accordance with your needs, wishes, and what type of makeup you like to wear.
Apart from this, we hope that we have provided enough useful information about this very important product that everyone who loves makeup adds this to their daily beauty routine. So, what did you think about our informative article on the best makeup remover options for this year? Do you now know more about this product? Tell us what you think in the comments section down below!
External References and Citations
- chevron-circle-right Natural Makeup Remover Recipes
- chevron-circle-right Makeup Removers by Skin Type
- chevron-circle-right Makeup Removers for Sensitive Skin
Last update on 2021-10-20 at 17:53 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API