We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The process of exfoliation is one of the most talked-about subjects when it comes to skincare, and especially facial skin care. No matter what experts are saying, everyone’s exfoliation routine is different, even if it essentially contains the same procedure. Exfoliation depends on a lot of things, from the type of skin that you have to how sensitive it is, or if you suffer from certain skin issues. How often you should exfoliate is again a subjective matter, because of these exact same reasons. There are no rules when it comes to facial exfoliation, but there are still a few things that you should definitely know.
But let’s start at the beginning. What does facial exfoliation actually mean? It’s a facial cleaning process that offers incredible benefits if done correctly. It gets rid of buildup on your skin; it thoroughly cleans it by removing dead skin cells and prevents even the earliest signs of aging. If someone thinks that they have a complete skin care routine, but they don’t exfoliate, they are wrong! It’s important to know that by removing all that buildup on the skin allows any products that you apply afterward to penetrate your skin better and manifest their effects much better. They nourish your skin, make your skin tone more evenly, and offers that natural and beautiful glow that everyone is looking for. However, choosing the best face exfoliator for you can be a struggle, which is why, in this article, we will be talking about the top ten face exfoliator options for this year, complete with their different types, how to use them, their benefits, downsides, and the answers to any other questions that you may have. Here we go!
Top 10 Face Exfoliator Options for 2018
In the chart below, you will find my top 10 rated face exfoliator options. For a more in-depth review of each type, please click on the Read Review link.
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Read My Review
Best Types of Face Exfoliators
Some people are saying that exfoliating your face is sometimes like cleaning your closet. It can get quite messy, a bit emotional, and sometimes, slightly irritating. Also, both of these mandatory activities need to happen regularly for them to offer their full benefits. However, not many people may know how to actually do this activity properly. And choosing what type of face exfoliator best suits your skin and your needs can get quite difficult. There are a lot of products out there, from a lot of brands that promise to deliver. Do they all do it? Of course not, but it’s your duty, as skin care lover, to try and see for yourself.
Technically, both major types of face exfoliators, physical and chemical, do the same thing. However, they do it in two very different ways. It’s important to inform yourself and find out what kind best suits you. Don’t forget that proper exfoliation allows moisturizers, serums, and everything you may want to apply on your skin to fully work their magic. You don’t skip exfoliation, and this is a rule!
Type 1: Physical exfoliators
This is the type of face exfoliator that everyone probably knows about. It usually contains those grainy particles that help you get rid of the dead skin on your face. Still, there are a lot of different such exfoliators on the market right now, and you need to read their ingredients and labels carefully. Experts are saying that scrubs work very well if used gently. You should also avoid very large exfoliation particles like nut shells or fruit pits because they can cause micro-tears in the skin. Sugar or coffee granules are the best when it comes to this kind of exfoliator.
- plus Accessible and affordable
- plus Remove dead skin and cleanse
- plus Easy to use
- close Can be less effective
- close Contains big granules
- close Needs to be used more
Type 2: Chemical exfoliators
As the name suggests, chemical face exfoliators remove the dead skin cells using various chemicals and not those grainy particles. For example, peels are the most common chemical exfoliators out there. They cleanse, smooth, and brighten your skin. The chemicals that you should be looking for when buying such a product are first and foremost alpha hydroxy acids. They are good because they come from natural ingredients and are excellent for exfoliating dry skin. But they’re soluble, so they cannot go too deep into the pores. However, beta hydroxy acids are molecules that are oil-soluble. Apart from being able to penetrate deep into the pores, they have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties too. This is the best kind of exfoliator for people with oily, acne-prone skin and blackheads.
- plus Provide deeper skin exfoliation
- plus Less harsh than physical exfoliation
- plus Excellent for people with skin issues too
- close Contain enzymes that can damage healthy skin
- close More expensive
- close Uses chemicals
Common Features of Face Exfoliators
Face exfoliators have been around for many years, and people who are passionate about skin care have most certainly heard about them for a long time. The formulas have changed, and many types have appeared, but the essential ingredients have stayed there. For beginners, it’s extremely important to choose a face exfoliator that will help and not damage your skin. Many people often neglect exfoliation in favor of moisturizing or the cleansing-toner duo. It’s important to use it regularly, about two times a week, because it will help your skin feel and look much better. Start with damp skin and massage the product using circular motions for about one minute. Be gentle and don’t press hard on the skin! Rinse with lukewarm water and then apply your toner, serum, and finally, moisturizer. In this part of the article, we will talk about the most common features of face exfoliator and what you should know about each of them.
- check-circle-o They thoroughly cleanse your skin– Face exfoliators are the best when it comes to the deep cleansing of the skin. These products, no matter their type, remove dead skin cells and make your skin clean, bright and smooth. Used regularly and correctly, face exfoliators can do wonders for your skin, and you might even notice some changes in the way your makeup looks afterward. The base, foundation, and powder will look professional and very good if used after exfoliating. Everything will sit nicely on a very clean skin, which brings us to the next common feature of face exfoliators.
- check-circle-o They allow products to penetrate the skin better– After using a good face exfoliator, your skin will not only look good, but it will also feel extra smooth. Thanks to this, everything else that you apply afterward will sink a lot better into the skin and provide a maximum of efficiency. So, using your regular toner, serum, and moisturizer after exfoliating your face will make your skin feel incredible. It will almost be a professional finish, both in terms of looks and skin care. This is why it’s recommended to exfoliate at least twice a week, to allow your skin to extract all the benefits from these products.
- check-circle-o They are very easy to use– A face exfoliator is also extremely easy to use. This process doesn’t take a lot of time or effort either. You should begin by making your clean skin damp and then applying your exfoliator in circular motions all over your face. Gently rub it in for about a minute to 90 seconds. Rinse the product off with warm water and then go on and do your normal skincare routine. It’s important to stop immediately if you feel like your skin burns or hurts. You might be using a product that’s too harsh for your skin type and you should change that immediately.
Things To Consider Before Buying a Face Exfoliator
We have previously discussed the different types of face exfoliators out there. Now, it’s time to focus on other things. Like some of the things that you should take into consideration before deciding to buy and use a face exfoliator. It’s very important to be informed about this product and what its benefits and downsides are. This is why, in order to help you make the best choice, we have decided to list some of the most important things that you should consider before buying this incredible skin care product. Here we go!
Do you have acne-prone skin?
If you are one of the people who has acne-prone skin, you shouldn’t worry. But there are some things that you should take into account when choosing a face exfoliator for you. Firstly, you should by all means stay away from physical exfoliators as they are way too harsh for your fragile skin. They can even trigger more breakouts, and you don’t want that. Choose a chemical face exfoliator with glycolic or salicylic acids. It will remove dirt and penetrate the oil on your skin to remove the dead skin cells that are clogging your pores.
Do you have the time to exfoliate regularly?
This is also important because you need to regularly use a face exfoliator, at least twice every week. Before deciding to use such a product you should take your time and think whether or not you feel ready to invest a few more minutes into your skincare routine. Considering how beneficial an exfoliator is for your skin, this decision shouldn’t be a difficult one at all. A bit of effort is worth it when it comes to having beautiful, clean, smooth, and dewy skin.
What type of skin do you have?
We have already covered the acne-prone skin subject, but what if you have other types of skin? Well, worry not because there’s an exfoliator for each type of skin. For oily skin, experts recommend a chemical exfoliator, while for normal skin, you can use any type. However, be careful not to rub particles that are too big on your skin. So, choose something delicate, like a baking-soda based product, for example. Dry skin gets along with physical exfoliators, and sensitive skin prefers chemical ones because they are less harsh.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying a Skin Exfoliator
In this article, we have already talked about some of the most important subjects related to the types, use, benefits, and downsides of face exfoliators. Now, it’s time to touch on another very important topic. It’s important for people to ask questions before deciding on a product, and it’s even more important to ask some questions to themselves and try to come up with the right answers. Nobody knows your skin, needs, and preferences better than yourself. So, here are some important questions that everybody should ask themselves before buying a face exfoliator.
Q: Will I have any bad reactions from a face exfoliator?
A: People who use a face exfoliator for the first time might experience a slight reaction of their skin to the product. It will either be because of the rubbing or because of the chemicals in the exfoliator. No matter the cause, if you notice any slight inflammation, you should immediately apply a 1% hydrocortisone cream on the problem area. This will help reduce the issues and allow you to keep using your exfoliator. It’s also important to use a gentle product until your skin calms down. If the reactions keep appearing, try a different product altogether. That one might not be good for your skin.
Q: Why can’t I just use my regular body scrub?
A: This is a question that a lot of people wonder about. Why not use the body scrub on my face too? It’s still my skin and I don’t want to invest in another similar product. Well, using your body scrub on your face might be the biggest mistake that you can ever make regarding skin care. Body scrubs are made of different ingredients and usually, they have bigger granules that are strong enough to remove the dead skin cells on your whole body. We have thicker skin below the neck area, so it’s normal for these products to be different. So no, never use you normal body scrub as a face exfoliator!
Q: I have sensitive skin, so I can’t rub anything on my face. Right?
A: No, that is not right at all. While you should by all means avoid physical face exfoliators because they are too harsh, you can always use a gentle chemical exfoliator if you have sensitive skin. You can also try a cleaner or a toner with plant or fruit enzymes that can deep cleanse your skin, twice a week. Once a week, you can try another treatment to remove the dead skin cells. Take a damp and cool washcloth and gently rub it on your face in circular motions. This will get you rid of the dead skin on your face and act like a very gentle exfoliator.
Why Are Face Exfoliators Awesome?
There are a lot of reasons why a face exfoliator is so awesome and valuable among skin care products. Most of these reasons have to do with this product’s incredible benefits for the skin if used correctly and regularly. A face exfoliator is one of those products that should be mandatory in every person’s skincare routine. Unfortunately, there are still people out there who have not even heard of it. To further convince them to do it, we will talk about some reasons why a face exfoliator is such a valuable and awesome product. Enjoy!
They are easy to find and affordable
Face exfoliators are everywhere nowadays, and it’s easy for people who really want to start using this product to find one that suits their needs. Apart from being very easy to find, a good face exfoliator is also accessible, not being part of the luxury products trend that has engulfed some beauty gurus recently. There are brands that have higher prices, but usually, these prices go hand in hand with the quality of the product. So, it would be better to invest in a high-quality exfoliator that suits your needs than use a cheap one that doesn’t do too much. You may get a wrong opinion about face exfoliators, and it’s a shame to not test the market and find the best product possible.
Everyone can use them
As we have previously mentioned, there is a face exfoliator for everyone out there. No matter what type of skin they have, or if they have certain skin issues, there is always a product for their specific needs and preferences. There are physical and chemical face exfoliators which can be used by every person out there in accordance with their skin type: dry, oily, or normal. There are products for people with sensitive skin and acne-prone skin too. You simply need to inform yourself and make the best decision for you.
They prevent the signs of aging
Last but not least, a good face exfoliator, if used correctly, can prevent even the smallest signs of aging. By removing the dead skin cells, it allows the fresh and clean skin to breathe and become hydrated. This stops certain signs of skin aging, like wrinkles and saggy skin, from evolving and over the years, people who regularly exfoliate will see a notable difference in comparison with other people who did not. So, all in all, a face exfoliator has a lot of benefits for the skin in all of the areas that should concern a person who takes care of their skin.
Recommended Best Sellers
- 【Great for Skin Care】Washing face with your hands isn’t very effective and...
- 【Exfoliating and Massaging】This 2-in-1 silicone face cleansing brush...
- 【Safe & Soft Silicone】The silicone exfoliator is made of food grade silicone...
- FACE CLEANSING DEVICE: This dermatologist-designed exfoliating facial brush...
- MAXIMIZE YOUR MOISTURIZER: Prime skin to maximize the hydrating effect of your...
- 2 SPEEDS FOR 2 CLEANS: Choose between a daily deep clean or gentle exfoliation
- The Best Facial Scrub For Dull, Dry, Sensitive Skin. Get Beautiful, more...
- Don't Damage Your Skin With Harsh Scrubs. Most exfoliators tear and damage your...
- Say Goodbye To Dull, Dry Skin. Our premium face and body scrub removes daily...
Before reaching the end of our article on the top ten face exfoliator options for this year, there are still some common questions that need answers. People usually have similar curiosities, which is the reason why we have decided to end this article with some of the most valuable answers regarding this product. So, here are some of the most common questions that people have regarding this product, answered. Here we go!
- chevron-circle-right Q: How often should I exfoliate?
- chevron-circle-rightA: The advice that experts usually give is that you should aim to exfoliate at least once a week. This routine not only removes dead skin cells but also improves cell renewal, leaving your skin bright, clean, and smooth. However, in case you don’t have sensitive skin, it would be even better to exfoliate two to three times per week. Still, do it gently.
- chevron-circle-right Q: When exactly should I exfoliate my skin?
- chevron-circle-rightA: It doesn’t really matter if you exfoliate your skin in the morning or the evening. However, according to experts, it’s better to include exfoliation in your nighttime skincare routine. Also, if you use night treatments like retinol, this is another reason to do it before bed. It seems that your skin becomes more receptive after the surface dead skin cells have been thoroughly removed and products get absorbed better.
So, this was our article on the ten best face exfoliator options for this year, along with their different types, benefits, and downsides, ways to use it, and the answers to the most common questions that people usually have regarding this product. Face exfoliators have existed for years, but unfortunately, not many people knew about them until recently, when a new skincare trend has taken the beauty world by storm. Regularly using a face exfoliator has enormous benefits for your skin. It deep cleanses it by removing the dead skin cells and allowing the fresh skin to breathe. As a result, your skin becomes clean, smoother and achieves that glow that everyone is looking for.
Apart from this, while there might be certain drawbacks to this product, they are balanced by the enormous benefits that it has on the skin. People should acknowledge the fact that nothing is ever perfect, but if we can learn to make the best choice for us, in this case, for our skin, things might suddenly become a lot happier. So, what did you think about our article on the best face exfoliator options for 2018? Are you an exfoliator-lover yourself? Are you going to introduce it into your skincare routine now? Tell us your opinions down below!
External References and Citations
- chevron-circle-right How to choose the best face exfoliator for your skin
- chevron-circle-right How to exfoliate your face in three steps
- chevron-circle-right Best face exfoliators under $20
Last update on 2021-06-20 at 12:23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API