What is Dermaplaning?
As you have probably guessed, dermaplaning has to do with your skin, especially exfoliation of you skin. So what is dermaplaning exactly? Glad you asked! A dermaplaning treatment (often paired with a micropeel) is a super successful technique in which a professional uses a scalpal blade tool to remove the outer, dulling layers of your skin. This stimulates collagen production which then leads to firmer, smoother, and healthier looking skin! To dermaplane is not a super invasive or risky thing. In fact, it is often used before surgeries to prep patients. Dermaplaning, not dermaplanning, is used by models and people in the entertainment industry to take off excess peach fuzz from the skin. This helps prevent makeup from caking up and leaves them with a fresher face. Dermaplaning is not recommended for people who have acne where they want to get the procedure done (face, body, etc.). If the patient does have acne during the procedure, dermaplaning could irritate and sensitize that area. Keep this in mind so that you do not receive this uncomfortable side of the treatment. Below is a quick YouTube video that catalogues what the process of dermaplaning looks like and just how quick it can be!
What are the Benefits of Dermaplaning?
There are many short-term and long-term effects that come along with dermaplaning. Here are some of the awesome benefits that come when you dermaplane:
- Assists in dulling and getting rid of scars, especially pesky acne scars!
- Because dermaplaning enhances collagen production while scraping off the outer layer of skin, your acne scars will help heal them and prevent discoloration.
- Helps with eliminating fine wrinkles in a non-surgical way!
- Dermaplaning actually full on removes fine wrinkles from the skin. Not kidding. These results last up to 6 beautiful months.
- Removes annoying peach fuzz hairs from your face!
- This is perhaps one of the most popular reasons that people decide to dermaplane. The sharp scalpel removes peach fuzz instantly which prevents makeup from clumping and leaves you with smoother skin.
- Skin care products will work even better than before!
- After you have the procedure, your skin care products that you use in your daily routine will actually start to work even better because they no longer have to remove dead skin from your face and can go directly to the problem source.
- There is no recovery time after the treatment!
- That’s right. After getting dermaplaned, you will be able to see the results immediately and will not feel the need to sit down every 5 minutes.
- The results actually last so you do not have to worry about scheduling an appointment every single month!
- The results of dermaplaning last up to 4 weeks, and that can be stretched to 6 months as long as you take care of your skin. This is possible because the procedure of dermaplaning removes 3 weeks worth of dead skin cells.
Where and How Can I Find Dermaplaning
The dermaplaning process does require consent, so keep that in mind as you schedule an appointment. As for finding an office where dermaplaning is offered, they are everywhere. Just search for a profession aesthetician who has taken classes and has been certified through training. We do not recommend getting dermaplaned in a white van, if that is even a thing, or by that one weird aunt who says that she knows how to do it and will just “wing it”. Both options are wrong and hopefully you can see that. Dermaplaning is especially popular in Las Vegas, Oregon, Sydney, Denver, Tampa, NYC, Chicago, Portland, Boston, and Dallas. The list goes on and on. So if you are in these areas, dermaplaning is easy to find at these places. A tip on deciding where to dermaplane is to do some research on who and where you are interested in. Reviews online go a long way in determining how happy you will be with the treatment. Doing this will help ensure that your experience is as enjoyable as possible.
7 Quick Questions about Dermaplaning
- How long is the procedure? — -The procedure is give or take 30 minutes. Perfect for people with busy schedules!
- Should I consult a doctor before scheduling an appointment to dermaplane? – – Absolutely! Dermaplaning is not a great experience for people with sensitive skin or those with acne problems. Consulting your doctor will help save you from any unnecessary pain.
- Is the procedure painful? -Nope! The feeling of dermaplaning is a lot like shaving your legs, but this time it is on your face, and instead of a razor blade, its a scalpel. The procedure is overall relatively painless.
- How much does dermaplaning cost? -Depending on where you live, dermaplaning will cost more or less $100-$200
- What side effects and time to recover should I expect? -Dermaplaning requires absolutely no recovery time and has immediate good side effects. These include smoother skin and a healthier complexion.
- Will my hair grow back darker? -Not at all! Unlike popular belief, your peach fuzz will not grow back darker or thicker. What a blessing.
- Are there any tips that I should know about before dermaplaning? -We definitely recommend not fidgeting or making sudden movements during the experience so that the aesthetician does not scrape your skin too roughly.
Is there a DIY for Dermaplaning?
Not sure if you can fit a dermaplaning procedure in this month’s budget? Want the results for a lower cost?Dermaplaning with a scalpel is not recommended, but exfoliation and a smoother complexion can be achieved without using a scalpel. You do not need a pro to get results. Here are the supplies and tools that you will need:
Tinkle Razor – Do not use a normal raHHzor, this is crucial.
- Rubbing alcohol
- Facial Exfoliator – Mix together
- 1/3 cup of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 5-10 drops of Frankincense oil (optional)
- 5 drops of tea tree oil (also optional)
You start your at home treatment off by applying a but of rubbing alcohol to your face. After this start using the razor we recommended to slowly take off any dead skin and peach fuzz that resides on your face. If this is your first time doing it, it will take more time, so be patient. After you have finished shaving, apply a facial exfoliator by rubbing it on your skin in circular motions. Rinse off, and you are ready to go! This DIY will take you 30 minutes to an hour depending on how comfortable and handy you are with the razor.
How Do I Take Care of My Skin After Dermaplaning
An extremely important thing to do in order to make your dermaplaning results last, is to take care of your skin pristinely after your dermaplaning appointment. This includes more than just washing your face. If you have sensitive skin we recommend that you invest in natural, non-fragranced face washes and cleansers. These are less likely to irritate your skin and will help keep the dead skin cells off. If you do not have sensitive skin, we recommend that you use whatever facial cleansing routine that has worked for you in the past. It is also important to note the importance of exfoliating after a dermaplaning appointment. You will notice that after a couple of days, your skin is not as glowing and smooth as it was fresh out of the appointment. Combat this by using a face exfoliator at least once every two weeks. This will smooth your skin and remove dead skin cells. You can adjust this frequency of application depending on the oily or dry your skin is naturally. Doing these things will make a world of a difference in your skin and will make your dermaplaning last for months!
Before & After Dermaplaning Pictures and Reviews
Dermaplaning is a form of dead skin removal that has plenty of raving reviews as you can imagine. These photos are amazing, from first to last, and are great to inspire you to schedule an appointment ASAP. Here are some reviews and before & after photos that we absolutely love!
Before & Afters
- “There was no downtime after my visit, and that was nice. (“You can walk out and go right to a luncheon,” said Dr. Doft, which I thought was delightfully Park Avenue.) For the next two weeks, I had the best skin texture I’d ever had” –Source
- “I was recently trained on dermaplaning and it has since become my favorite treatment for physical exfoliation. It is painless (I have a low tolerance for pain), quick, and the results are immediate!” –Source
- “I am thrilled with the results of this procedure. Dermaplaning has absolutely no downtime. You can apply your makeup and go immediately after the facial. My face wasn’t sore or red. It was, in a word, glowing.” –Source
Hopefully this article supplied you with more answers than questions. Dermaplaning procedures have raving reviews and lasting results. What more can you ask for? This addition to your beauty routine will provide results in multiple areas of your life that will help your skin become healthier than ever! Try dermaplaning today and let us know about your amazing results that you will be raving to your friends about for weeks!