What is Dermaplaning?
What is dermaplaning exactly? We’re glad you asked!
A dermaplaning treatment (often paired with a micropeel) is a super successful technique in which a professional uses a scalpel bladed tool to remove the outer dulling layers of your skin. This stimulates collagen production which then leads to firmer, smoother, and healthier looking skin!
Does Dermaplaning Really Work?
The best way to answer this question is by looking at the proof that is so clearly seen on every face post treatment. There is clear, immediate evidence that it truly works. It helps everything from scars to dry skin to large pores. There are countless dermaplaning procedure reviews that share how much dermaplaning has helped people’s skin. It has been said by many that the skin looks better in on camera afterward because of the simple fact that there is less excess facial hair getting in the way of a perfect complexion.
This treatment helps those who have acne scars, fine lines, and many other skin issues to have visible and immediate improvement. Dermaplaning has been shown to cause skin rejuvenation by making it even and smooth. It removes the entire top layer of skin in order to take all the impurities off the top and expose the bright, beautiful layer underneath. It not only removes the top layer along with all its imperfections, but it helps the skin to be the healthiest it can be.
Dermaplaning is suitable for all skin types, and people with many different skin issues have given the word that it is an excellent treatment. Not only does dermaplaning work, but it does the trick non invasively. Instant results can be seen without having to worry about recuperating afterward. This is great news, to have a treatment with immediate results and no need for a recovery period! Dermaplaning so clearly works, and this is an irrefutable fact.
Is Dermaplaning a Safe Procedure?
Dermaplaning has absolutely no issues when it comes to safety. There are a few cautions here though.
For starters, this is not a DIY treatment. Make sure you find a professional who is trained and knows the ins and outs of how to wield the dermaplaning tool (aka scalpel). This is not a risky procedure if done correctly, but it can be hazardous if you do it yourself or have it done by someone who is not a trained professional.
Since this treatment is essentially taking off the first layer of skin, it is not painful. It is actually a very similar sensation to shaving a leg. In reality, you can think about dermaplaning as a deep exfoliation. Instead of using a scrub or peel, it exfoliates the entire top layer of skin and allows for the new and beautiful layer of skin underneath to be exposed. Nothing more than minor sensitivity of the skin is felt after this treatment.
The only case in which this treatment is strongly advised against (in order to avoid pain afterward) is if you have severe acne on the area of skin it would be done on.
If you need further proof as to just how safe dermaplaning is, take into account that it is recommended for nursing and pregnant mothers. This is because it does not utilize the same types of harsh chemicals that many other treatments do, such as a chemical peel.
If you are looking to take the best care of your skin after your treatment, you will want to use plenty of sunscreen to protect it from the sun.
As you can see, there is not much to worry about when it comes to getting a dermaplaning treatment. This is the perfect and most painless way to get flawless skin!
Does Dermaplaning Help to Exfoliate Skin?
Dermaplaning helps to exfoliate your skin in incredible ways. Not only is it a nontoxic way to exfoliate, but it gets into the skin deeper than most other exfoliators do. Think of it as a dermaplane facial. This treatment completely removes the top layer which brings with it dead skin and a whole list of other skin issues.
One of the greatest perks of having this treatment done is the way it will help you apply makeup to a smoother face and show off your unique skin tone. Dermaplaning will also allow your facial products to absorb into the skin properly.
There are so many avenues you can take when it comes to exfoliating, but not many do such a great job of helping rejuvenate your skin. This treatment takes all vellus hair (also known as peach fuzz) off, helps to reverse aging by creating younger-looking skin, gets rid of hyperpigmentation, and reduces acne scars. What more could you want in an exfoliator? Not to mention it is free of harsh chemicals, which is a huge perk!
Get rid of the chemical peels and manual exfoliation and do your skin a favor by exfoliating with dermaplaning!
What are the Benefits of Dermaplaning?
There are many short-term and long-term effects that come along with dermaplaning. Here we will explore some of the awesome benefits that you’ll enjoy when you dermaplane:
- Assists in dulling and getting rid of scars, especially pesky acne scars!
- Because dermaplaning enhances collagen production while scraping off the outer layer of skin, your acne scars will heal and discoloration will be prevented.
- Helps with eliminating fine wrinkles in a non-surgical way!
- Dermaplaning actually fully removes fine wrinkles from the skin. Not kidding. These results last up to six beautiful months.
- Removes annoying peach fuzz hairs from your face!
- This is perhaps one of the most popular reasons that people decide to dermaplane. The sharp scalpel removes vellus facial hair instantly which prevents makeup from clumping and leaves you with smoother skin.
- Skin care products will work even better than before!
- After you have the procedure, the skin care products that you use in your daily routine will actually start to work even better because they no longer have to remove dead skin from your face and can be applied with ease.
- There is no recovery time after the treatment!
- That’s right. This is not an invasive surgery, but a treatment, so after receiving the dermaplane treatment, you will be able to see the results immediately.
- The results actually last so you do not have to worry about scheduling an appointment every single month!
- The results of dermaplaning last up to four weeks, and that period of time can be stretched to six months as long as you take care of your skin. This length of time is possible because the procedure of dermaplaning removes three weeks worth of dead skin cells.
Where and How Can I Find Dermaplaning?
The dermaplaning process does require consent, so keep that in mind as you schedule an appointment. As for finding an office where dermaplaning is offered, they are everywhere. Just search for a professional aesthetician who has taken classes and has been certified through training. We do not recommend getting this treatment done by anyone who is not a certified professional.
Dermaplaning is especially popular in Las Vegas, Oregon, Sydney, Denver, Tampa, NYC, Chicago, Portland, Boston, and Dallas. The list goes on and on. So if you are in these areas, dermaplaning should be easy to find. A tip on deciding where to dermaplane is to do some research on who and where you are interested in.
Dermaplaning treatment reviews online go a long way in determining how happy you will be with the treatment afterwards, so be sure to checkout a dermaplaning review or two before heading to get it done. It’s vital to find some dermaplane pro reviews that tell you about the professional performing the treatment in order to get the best person for the job. Doing this will help ensure that your experience is as enjoyable as possible.
7 Quick Questions About Dermaplaning
- How long is the procedure?
- The procedure is 30 minutes long give or take, making it perfect for people with busy schedules!
- Should I consult a doctor before scheduling an appointment?
- Absolutely! Dermaplaning is not a great experience for people with sensitive skin or those with acne problems. Consulting your doctor will help save you from any unnecessary pain before it is too late.
- Is the procedure painful?
- Nope! The feeling of dermaplaning is a lot like shaving your legs, but this time it is on your face, and instead of a razor blade, it’s a scalpel. The procedure is painless overall.
- How much does dermaplaning cost?
- Depending on where you live, it will cost more or less $100-$200
- What side effects and time to recover should I expect?
- Dermaplaning requires absolutely no recovery time and has no side effects.
- Will my hair grow back darker?
- Not at all! Despite popular belief, your peach fuzz will not grow back darker or thicker. You will be left with the same fine hair on your face as before! What a blessing!
- Are there any tips that I should know about before the procedure?
- We definitely recommend not fidgeting or making sudden movements during the experience so that the aesthetician does not scrape your skin too roughly.
Is there a DIY for Dermaplaning?
Not sure if you can fit this procedure in this month’s budget? Want the results for a lower cost? Dermaplaning with a surgical blade is not recommended, but exfoliation and a smoother complexion can be achieved without using a scalpel. You do not need a pro to get results.
Tinkle Razor Method
Here are the supplies and tools that you will need:
- A Tinkle Razor (it is crucial not to use a normal razor!)
- Rubbing alcohol
- Facial Exfoliator – Mix the following ingredients together:
- 1/3 cup of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 5-10 drops of Frankincense oil (optional)
- 5 drops of tea tree oil (also optional)
- You will begin your at home treatment by applying a bit of rubbing alcohol to your face.
- After this, start using the razor we recommended to slowly take off any dead skin and peach fuzz that resides on your face. If this is your first time doing it, it will take more time to get the hang of it, so be patient.
- After you have finished shaving, apply a facial exfoliator by rubbing it on your skin in circular motions.
- Rinse off, and you are ready to go!
This DIY will take you 30 minutes to an hour depending on how comfortable and handy you are with the razor.
2. The Dermaflash Facial Method
Another great alternative DIY is the Dermaflash Facial. Dermaflash is the perfect way to do an in-home dermaplaning treatment that will exfoliate your skin and remove that outer layer with all its imperfections such as dead skin cells and fine facial hair. This is not a cheap product, but in the long run, if this becomes a frequent treatment for you, you will be saving money.
3. The StackedSkincare Dermaplaning Tool Method
Aside from the Dermaflash, some people recommend using the dermaplaning tool from StackedSkincare. In all honesty, we don’t know much about this method, so it’d be best to look at a StackedSkincare dermaplaning tool review or two in order to see what others are saying about how well this product works. It’ll be totally your call as to whether this is a decent alternative to getting it done by a professional.
How Do I Take Care of My Skin After Dermaplaning?
An extremely important thing to do in order to make your dermaplaning results last is to take care of your skin pristinely after your dermaplaning appointment. This includes more than just washing your face.
If you have sensitive skin, we recommend that you invest in natural, non-fragranced face washes and cleansers. These are less likely to irritate your skin and will help keep the dead skin cells away. If you do not have sensitive skin, we recommend that you use whatever facial cleansing routine has worked for you in the past.
It is also important to note the importance of exfoliating after a dermaplaning appointment. You will notice that after a couple of days, your skin is not as glowing and smooth as it was fresh out of the appointment. Combat this by using a face exfoliator at least once every two weeks. This will smooth your skin and continue to remove dead skin cells. You can adjust this frequency of application depending on how oily or dry your skin is naturally.
Doing these things will make a world of a difference for your skin and will make your dermaplaning treatment results last for months!
Before & After Dermaplaning Pictures and Reviews
Dermaplaning is a form of dead skin and hair removal that has plenty of raving reviews. These photos are amazing, from first to last, and are meant to inspire you to schedule an appointment ASAP. Here are some reviews and before and after photos that we absolutely love!
Before & Afters
- “There was no downtime after my visit, and that was nice. (“You can walk out and go right to a luncheon,” said Dr. Doft, which I thought was delightfully Park Avenue.) For the next two weeks, I had the best skin texture I’d ever had” –Source
- “I was recently trained on dermaplaning and it has since become my favorite treatment for physical exfoliation. It is painless (I have a low tolerance for pain), quick, and the results are immediate!” –Source
- “I am thrilled with the results of this procedure. Dermaplaning has absolutely no downtime. You can apply your makeup and go immediately after the facial. My face wasn’t sore or red. It was, in a word, glowing.” –Source
Prepare For Dermaplaning to Change Your Life
Hopefully, this article supplied you with more answers than questions. Dermaplaning procedures have raving reviews and lasting results. What more can you ask for? This addition to your beauty routine will provide results in multiple areas of your life that will help your skin become healthier than ever! Try dermaplaning today and let us know about your amazing results that you will be raving to your friends about for weeks!