I am a woman in her mid-thirties and the proud mother of a nine years old son. While our family is a happy and cool one (or we think we are), my son and I share a relatively difficult problem: we have bad dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and itchy scalps. My scalp and hair are extremely dry. My boy’s scalp and hair are extremely oily. For years we tried plenty of shampoos and homemade remedies. From apple cider vinegar for hair rinse to teas and hair masks, we pretty much tried everything (for dry and oily scalp respectively). One day, however, my husband came home with a recommendation: the Redken Dandruff Control Shampoo.
I made a decision to shop for it and experiment with it. My husband has little to no scalp and hair problems, but he insisted we tried this shampoo to get better scalp and hair. I think he learned of it from one of his colleagues at work. Since I am willing to try shampoos and make sure my son gets the best products to alleviate his problems, I decided to buy the Redken shampoo and test it. So far so good!
We have been exploiting this shampoo for three weeks and the relief came after one or two uses. There is no dandruff or itchiness to bother my son or me anymore! His oily scalp and hair became normal and he does not feel itchiness, pain, and discomfort every day at school. I can now show off my colored strands and new haircut without shame or fear of scratching my head during a business meeting. My husband now enjoys a new type of silence around the house, because nobody is whining anymore.
Since I found this shampoo to work very well, I decided to share with the rest of the crowd my impressions and opinions about it.
Things to Consider before Buying the Redken Dandruff Control Shampoo
People with dandruff and other skin and hair problems can easily relate to my endless concerns regarding my health and my looks. Dry itchy scalp with dandruff tendencies requires special treatment. My sensitive skin and scalp do not do well with drugstore shampoos, sulfate shampoos, medicated or chemical products of any kind, and so on. In other words, I always use as many natural and organic ingredients as I can. This shampoo fits the bill in the organic department, having excellent results.
These are the main things you should know before you buy this product:
- Possible side effects: The shampoo should not cause any side effects. Your hair may get drier than usual, but I do not personally mind that. However, if you feel some discomfort while using it, stop. In case you feel the shampoo leaves your hair less soft or it causes you an unpleasant look, discontinue the use.
- Efficiency: Dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis in both my son and me became a non-problem after a few uses. The shampoo left my scalp feeling tingly and fresh, with less and less dandruff and itchiness. My hair became more manageable, easier to comb and style. I had less and less scalp redness and swallowing, less dry patches, less head scratching and some hair growth.
- Scent: The scent is ok. It smells minty with a faint hint of lavender. While the scent of this shampoo is not too pungent to interfere with your other perfumes and fragrances, you may feel like other shampoos smell even better and less strong. For me, this was not a deal breaker because I wanted something to relieve the dermatitis symptoms in me and my son, not wear some top-shelf designer perfume on my head.
- Type of hair and skin: The shampoo works well for all types of hair and skin. I have extremely dry scalp and hair, my son has oily scalp and hair, and the shampoo worked for both of us like a charm when it came to dandruff reduction and scalp problems control.
- Multiple hair benefits: This shampoo has a few extra benefits besides the dandruff control and deep scalp and hair cleansing. It also corrects excess scalp sebum, heals itchiness, soars, flakes, and patches, and contributes to better looking hair. It helps with unclogging hair follicles, moisturizes hair, and restores the bounce and shine of your hair. It also promotes some hair regrowth. It dries your hair, granted, but my son enjoyed this effect.
- Family friendly: The shampoo seems to be gender and age independent, but, of course, we cannot extrapolate these results to an entire population. I think you should give the shampoo a fair chance and see if it works for you.
- Texture: The shampoo has a nice texture and it lathers and foams well.
- Efficiency-Price Balance: I believe I made a very good investment. The bottle is large enough and the price is good.
- Extra-Care: The shampoo may leave your hair very dry. If you also have color treated hair, you should consider using a conditioner afterwards. I use a regular conditioner for dyed hair, which leaves my colored strands smooth and soft.
Who Should Buy This Shampoo
This is a great shampoo, which gets you rid of dandruff, scalp dermatitis, dry/oily patches, itchiness, swallowing, and other issues. It is also a nice beginning in hair rejuvenation.
Who Should Not Buy This Shampoo
If you are allergic or sensitive to any of this shampoo’s ingredients, you should look for something else. You should look for alternatives in case you experience severe skin and hair symptoms and you need a medicated shampoo coming with a dermatologist’s recommendation. This shampoo is not fully organic or lacked of chemicals, so if you want natural/herbal remedies, you should look for something else.
Redken Dandruff Control Shampoo
This Redken Dandruff Control Shampoo contains Pyrithione zinc, which fights and controls dandruff. The Hydro-Zone system contains glycerin to hydrate your scalp. The lavender extract helps soothe and clarify scalp and hair.
I think I can sum up everything about this shampoo by conveying the pros and cons as we experienced it after three weeks of use:
- Effective for dandruff control and dermatitis relief
- Multiple hair benefits
- Dermatologically safe
- It contains some chemicals and artificial ingredients
- You may not like the scent
- It may excessively dry your hair
Redken Dandruff Control Shampoo Features and Benefits
I will buy more of this product and for all the right reasons, I think. It may be a bit off-putting in terms of hair dryness and lack of smoothness and softness. However, when you suffer from dermatitis, your hair softness is the last of your priorities. Moreover, when you finally get a happy child who does not scratch his head anymore as if he had lice, you are a happier parent.
I want to write down a list containing the main features and benefits of this shampoo and get into some details.
- It is a good remedy for hair, scalp, and skin conditions (itchy scalp, eczema, extreme dandruff, and seborrheic dermatitis)
- The formula of this shampoo and its ingredients help you feel better and look better after just a few uses.
- The shampoo offers itchiness and pain relief.
- It comes in a mix of natural and artificial ingredients that work well together and are dermatologically safe.
- It is safe for colored or styled hair.
- It is gender and age independent, thus becoming family friendly.
Alternatives to the Redken Dandruff Control Shampoo
When you search the Internet for a specific product, you also bump into other similar products as well. I listed here three alternatives to this shampoo, hoping that they may work even better for you. I think I will also test at least one or two of them, mainly the ones coming with natural ingredients and some organic/herbal formulas.
This shampoo works well for both men and women. This shampoo is medicated and recommended for more serious dandruff and scalp issues. It comes with dermatologists’ recommendation for scalp eczema and psoriasis, dermatitis and severe dandruff. This is that type of shampoo that has a reputation on the market. I am not sure it is child-friendly, but if you are interested in it, you should check it out in detail.
Who Should Use this Shampoo
People who want a medicated shampoo that has anti-dandruff properties and comes with doctor’s recommendations for psoriasis, scalp eczema, dermatitis and other skin and hair issues.
Redken Shampoo vs. Nizoral Shampoo Comparison
- Both have anti-dandruff properties;
- The Ketoconazole 1% in Nizoral controls flaking, scaling, and itching;
- Nizoral comes with doctors’ recommendations;
- Nizoral needs medical recommendation for children under 12;
- Nizoral is a bit cheaper.
If you want an alternative to this Redken shampoo, check out the Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampooas well. It may even work better for your more complex and severe hair and scalp problems that need medical care.
This is another interesting alternative in the best dandruff shampoo department of organic formulation.
Who Should Use this Shampoo
People who want to control dandruff, itchiness, head eczema, dermatitis, and psoriasis. People who want to get better looking hair, and feel better about their hair overall with the help of natural and organic ingredients.
Redken Shampoo vs. Puriya Shampoo Comparison
- Both work great for dandruff control;
- Puriya also comes with many organic and herbal ingredients;
- Puriya is made in the USA ;
- Puriya comes with a 180-Day Money Back Guarantee;
- Puriya is more expensive.
If you want an alternative to the Redken shampoo that covers plenty of scalp and hair issues, check out the Puriya Natural Dandruff Shampoo as well! It may be what you need in terms of quality and organic/natural hair care.
This is another excellent option in the best dandruff shampoos department, and it seems to be unisex as well. It also seems to be natural or containing mostly natural ingredients and extracts.
Who Should Use this Shampoo
People who want natural/organic hair care, dandruff control, psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis control.
Redken Shampoo vs. Maple Holistics Sage Shampoo
- Both are dandruff-control products;
- Maple Holistics contains both natural and artificial ingredients;
- Both promise to stimulate hair growth;
- Both seem to be gender and age independent;
- Maple Holistics is a bit cheaper.
If you think that you need mild dandruff control and some hair restoration, then the Maple Holistics Sage Anti-Dandruff Shampoo may work great for you and your entire family. It also contain more natural extracts and ingredients, so it may be even safer for your problematic scalp.
The anti-dandruff effects were great. Scalps do not itch or hurt anymore and we definitely do not shed dandruff all over the place. My son loves it completely even if I would have preferred a less powerful scent. Dad did not try the shampoo yet, but he is happy that mom and junior feel a lot better and complain less and less about their problematic heads. The Redken Dandruff Control Shampoo worked great after only a few washes. After three weeks (twice a week use), we felt and looked amazing.
This product got a few minus points, but overall, I think you should try it. It does make your hair drier. My son has no problem with this, but I need to use a conditioner to balance the sebum on my scalp and hair. Since I do have colored highlights, I am aware I need extra protection, since the shampoo comes with plenty of artificial ingredients you usually find in all shampoos. I enjoy it being color-safe, but if you do not pay attention, it can dry your hair to the extreme. This is why I recommend you pause the use and resume it after a few weeks.
If you have additional severe dermatologic issues that require medical attention, you should try this and see how it works. You may also want to leave your options open to medicated and doctor-recommended shampoos that come with a specific dermatological use design. This is, after all, a salon shampoo, not medication.
I also want to tell you to make sure you use the shampoo within its expiration date. If you have severe dandruff or dermatological problems, extremely sensitive scalp skin and so on, you should make sure you do not cause harm by using expired products.
Is this product the best dandruff shampoo on the market? It may be for some, while others can certainly find something better. I will try a few of the alternatives I already mentioned – the fully or at least partially organic ones. On the other hand, if you want fast and steady dandruff control, itch alleviation, itchiness control, dermatitis alleviation, pain relief and healthier head skin, then the Redken Dandruff Control Shampoo may be the answer to all your needs!
External References & Citations
- chevron-circle-right See the Amazon best dandruff shampoo list according to customers’ reviews
- chevron-circle-rightMaple Holistics Sage Anti-Dandruff Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightNizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightMaple Holistics Pure Tea Tree Oil Anti-Dandruff Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightClear Shampoo Complete Scalp Care Anti-Dandruff Review
- chevron-circle-rightPuriya Natural Dandruff Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightArt Naturals Dandruff Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightOm Botanical Dandruff Hair Loss Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightMaple Holistics Anti Dandruff Thickening Shampoo with Cedarwood Review
- chevron-circle-rightRedken Dandruff Control Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightThe Wonder Seed Hemp Shampoo Review