Coconut oil? Avocados, bananas, honey and eggs? Olive oil, castor oil, yogurt? Is there anything left in the kitchen or pantry that we did not try yet in DIY hair masks? The answer is yes – there are more natural and available ingredients we have around the house, which we can use to pamper ourselves and spoil our hair in order to keep it healthy. We know that we already emphasized on hair masks that strengthen the hair and on hair masks that thicken the hair. However, we want to focus today on hair masks that simply make your hair shinier and healthier without necessarily addressing severe hair problems. As hair beauty and maintenance is concerned, let’s yum! away in the kitchen and come back with some amazing DIY hair masks to make ourselves feel like runway divas!
1. Brown Sugar Mask for Healthy Exfoliation
Brown sugar is an amazing exfoliating agent. It helps remove dead skin cells from the scalp and any residue that may have built up, leading to healthier scalp and hair. Brown sugar works great against itchy, flaky, dry scalp as its abrasive properties together with its nourishing properties help you get the hair you always dreamed of and the healthier scalp.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of brown sugar with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil;
- Apply to your scalp and hair top to bottom (double the quantities if you have long hair);
- Let the mask sit for a good 20 minutes;
- Rinse with warm water;
- Repeat at least once a week for shiny, flake-free scalp and hair.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair Cleansing and Strengthening
The magic of apple cider vinegar resides in this pantry item content: B vitamins, vitamin C and potassium, among others. Moreover, apple cider vinegar has antibacterial and antifungal properties, which help with flaky and itchy scalps. Being slightly acidic, when you mix it with water, you reach a balance that will in turn balance your scalp’s pH. You can use it for oily scalp and hair and for dry, flaky scalp and hair as well, depending on how much you dilute it. This vinegar does not strip the hair’s natural oils, only the excess ones, and retains the moisture inside your hair. It also hardens the hair, which results in hair that shines, is smooth and silky, and less prone to tangling.
- Mix 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons of plain water and 1 tablespoon of honey (double the quantities for long hair);
- Apply the mask on scalp and hair top to bottom on damp hair;
- Cover your head with a shower cap/towel and sit for 30 minutes;
- Rinse well with warm water;
- Repeat at least once a week for best results.
3. Matcha Green Tea Powder for Hair Growth Stimulation
You know we love Matcha Green Tea Powder as it is nature’s favorite anti-oxidant and detoxifying agent. If you drink matcha green tea you probably noticed you feel better, more energized, with better functioning metabolism, better focus, and no side effects. Well, it only makes sense that the anti-oxidant and detoxification powers of matcha tea to also work on your scalp and hair. As DIY hair masks are concerned, matcha green tea powder acts as a hair growth stimulant, boosting circulation and roots strengthening. In addition, eliminating the oxidants at your scalp and hair level, your tresses will grow shinier, cleaner, stronger, and livelier.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with an egg and 1 tablespoon of matcha tea green powder;
- Part your hair with a comb and apply the mask to the roots, progressively working from top to your hair ends;
- Let the mask sit for half an hour;
- Rinse with warm water;
- Repeat weekly.
Before we raid the fridge…
Tell us what other DIY hair masks you use to spoil your hair and encourage its health, shine, bounce, and strength! Are these ingredients on your usual list of hair care home remedies, or are you going to try them next?
Image source: 1