We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Dandruff is a serious problem in my family of two. Somehow, my husband and I, while sharing plenty of common traits and tastes, we also share dandruff as being part of our lives. None of us likes it, as you may figure out. We tried wagons of anti-dandruff shampoos and hair treatments. We also tried plenty of homemade remedies and solutions. Some worked better than others did, but we could never get rid of dandruff forever and for always. It seems to come back with a vengeance, actually.
Eventually, we ended up in a dermatologist’s office. After some tests and talks, we left there with a recommendation for a specific shampoo: Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. He said it was one of the best dandruff shampoos on the market – the type coming with doctors’ recommendations. He promised it will get us rid of the dandruff and prevent new dandruff from occurring if we used it only twice a week. He also said our problematic hair will also look and feel better after using this shampoo.
Since we trust specialists in medicine, we began using the shampoo the next day we bought it. We have using it for a month now and it is time to share our experience with others as well, because dandruff is common in both men and women and I am sure people want a solution to this insufferable issue. So let me tell you how things worked out so far…
Things to Consider before Buying the Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
People with dandruff can easily relate to our problem. Going to work and being terrorized of the dandruff “snowing” on your office suit’s shoulders turns into emotional and psychological distress. I also tried to dye my hair because of the popular belief that dyed hair develops less dandruff. It did not work as expected. My husband keeps his hair very short, even if he looks amazing with some loose curls, only to keep the dandruff in control.
After a month of using the Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo, we reached some common conclusions – besides the fact that the shampoo works amazing. These are the main things you should know before you jump at the opportunity of buying this product.
- Possible side effects: The shampoo should not cause any side effects. However, if you feel some discomfort while using it, stop using it. The manufacturer says that you should discontinue the product if you are allergic to one or more ingredients in this product. In other words, read the label before buying it. You should not use this shampoo on inflamed, injured, or broken scalp. You should also avoid contact with your eyes. Discontinue the product in the case of any rash occurring on your scalp or skin. Also, if you are pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a doctor before use. We never experienced any of such problems, but it is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Efficiency: The shampoo began showing the anti-dandruff results for me in about two weeks of usage (mainly four washes). It showed results in my husband after an average of 5-6 uses. The Ketoconazole 1% (the main and most important anti-dandruff ingredient in the shampoo) controls flaking, scaling, and itching. We both experienced a fresher, cleaner, freer scalp skin. The dandruff progressively disappeared. Nizoral A-D kills the fungus that causes dandruff.
- Scent: The Nizoral A-D scent is clean and fresh and it leaves your hair smelling even better.
- Type of hair and skin: The shampoo works well with dyed hair as the formula is gentle and does not clash against other products you use for hair color and styling.
- Multiple hair benefits: While it does not necessarily promote hair growth, the shampoo does leave your hair soft, squeaky clean, non-greasy, without a trace of dandruff, smooth, and smelling fresh for days.
- Family friendly: This shampoo worked amazing for both my husband and I, so I feel safe in assuming it will work great for larger families with children. You should pay attention to the manufacturer’s recommendations when you use it on kids, but things will work out just fine, I am sure.
Who Should Buy This Shampoo
This is a great shampoo – somehow coming from the medical department – which gets you rid of dandruff. It contains medicine as far as I am concerned and if this is what you have been looking for, then you should try it. Maybe ask your doctor before.
Who Should Not Buy This Shampoo
If you are allergic or sensitive to any of this shampoo’s ingredients, you should look for something else. In addition, if you look for organic shampoos or products containing natural/organic ingredients, you should try something else.
Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
This Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo contains ketoconazole 1%, a proven dandruff-fighting ingredient. This powerful shampoo controls flaking, scaling, and itching associated with dandruff. It is gentle enough to use on color-treated, chemically processed, and gray hair, and has a thick, rich lather that rinses clean and leaves your hair smelling fresh. It also contains coconut oil, a very important element used in hair and skin care. I noticed that it does not clash against other hair care products (normal everyday hair conditioner) or hair dyes. My husband did some experiments as well: in between the two Nizoral shampooing sessions, he used other shampoos we had around the house, to see if dandruff would come back. It did not.
I think I can sum up everything by conveying the pros and cons of this shampoo as follows:
- Extremely effective for dandruff prevention and control
- Makes your hair look and feel better
- You may not like the scent
- Has side effects
- More of a medicine
Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo Features and Benefits
I have had dandruff since childhood. My husband deals with the problem since his teenage years. We are now both in our mid-thirties and both have jobs involving public relations and plenty of socialization and networking as both profession and personal lifestyle. You simply do not attend a public event, a charity ball, a press conference, or a party with friends shedding dandruff all over the place. We both cut our hair short, to mitigate and control the problem. We used almost everything we had at home and in the cosmetic department store. Even if dandruff went away for a while, it also always came back in the end.
If you understand that having dandruff permanently can turn into a physical and psychological nightmare, you will also understand why we both took our time to test and try this shampoo for a full month before we drew any conclusions. Now I think I am ready to share the story and our view on the product.
Generally, these are this shampoo’s features and benefits we found to be the most important:
- The shampoo comes with an enriched medicated formula containing coconut oil and added ingredients – such as the ketoconazole 1%. This is good, because the shampoo fought the fungi and other nasty deposits on our scalp, which were causing the dandruff.
- The shampoo has some extra hair benefits: we did not experience new hair growth (and this was not something to actively look for), but we did experience cleaner hair, fresher scalps, and a nice sensation of soft, manageable hair.
- The shampoo is unisex. My husband was adamant in explaining to the doctor that we needed a unisex shampoo to experiment with it. The surprise offered by this shampoo pleased him a lot. He also noted down a shine, silky texture of his now dandruff-free hair.
Alternatives to the Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
When you search for a specific shampoo or you expand your online browsing to the best dandruff shampoos on the market, you will surely find products that will catch your attention. I listed here three alternatives to the Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, hoping that they may work even better for you.
This shampoo can also work well for both men and women. It comes with natural ingredients and it seems to have more hair benefits than just simply getting you rid of dandruff.
Who Should Use this Shampoo
People who want a sulfate free shampoo that has anti-dandruff properties. People who also want fast hair growth and regrowth for strengthened, luscious hair. People who want lice treatment. People looking for organic ingredients in shampoos.
Maple Holistics Shampoo vs. Nizoral Shampoo Comparison
- Both have anti-dandruff properties;
- Maple Holistics is sulfate free;
- Maple Holistics comes with organic ingredients;
- Maple Holistics comes with a wide area of hair benefits;
- Maple Holistics is cheaper.
If you want an alternative to Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, check out the Maple Holistics Pure Tea Tree Oil Anti-Dandruff Shampoo as well. It may even work better for your more complex hair and scalp problems.
I listed this shampoo here, even if it is men only, because I am aware that men are more vulnerable to dandruff. My husband was happy with this product as he tried it before.
Who Should Use this Shampoo
Men who want to control dandruff and also need a built-in conditioner to make their hair look shiny, smooth, and more voluminous.
Clear Shampoo vs. Nizoral Shampoo Comparison
- Both work great for dandruff control in men;
- Clear comes with Nutrium 10, an advanced moisture complex of vitamins and nutrients;
- Clear contains vitamins B5, C and E, sunflower, almond, soybean and coconut oils and aloe vera ;
- Clear is not unisex;
- Nizoral is more expensive.
If you want an alternative to the Nizoral shampoo for men and teenage boys, check out the Clear Men Scalp Therapy 2-in-1! It may be what you have always been looking for!
This is another excellent option in the best dandruff shampoos department, and it seems to be unisex as well.
Who Should Use this Shampoo
People who want organic hair care, dandruff control, psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis control and alleviations.
Puryia Shampoo vs. Nizoral Shampoo Comparison
- Both are dandruff shampoos;
- Puryia is sulfate free and natural;
- Puryia is safe for all hair types including damaged, curly, fine and color treated hair;
- Puryia comes with a 180-Day Money Back Guarantee;
- Puryia is more expensive.
If you feel you want to gain more organic and natural hair, dandruff control and even hair restoration, then Puryia Natural Dandruff Shampoo may be exactly what you need for daily hair and scalp care and therapy.
Shedding dandruff all day long (and scratching your hair as if you have lice) pushes people to the brink of extreme frustration. It is not healthy, socially acceptable, hygienic, visually pleasant or psychologically comfortable. I know dandruff is not something to control only with shampoos. It also requires some lifestyle changes, including diet and the use of other cosmetic/care products for skin and hair. My husband and I tried plenty of such measures, until we could not take it and visited a dermatologist.
The effects were amazing. We no longer have dandruff. We no longer develop dandruff even if we use other shampoos we have around the house.
We loved it because it is family-friendly (unisex to be more specific). We also loved it because it made our hair look cleaner, shinier, less … heavy somehow. We did not notice hair growth, but this was not our main goal. We did notice smoother, shinier hair however.
I enjoyed the scent of this shampoo very much. It is faint and pleasant and it does not last for days – meaning it will not interfere with the scent of your body wash or your daily perfume. Even if the shampoo is chemical so to speak, the scent is refreshing.
Overall, we enjoyed the results this shampoo offered. We enjoyed our now clean shoulders and the new nice texture the shampoo offered. We are thinking of letting our hair grow again.
If you have more severe dermatological problems, you should also look into other alternatives. This shampoo does not cause side effects, but if your scalp suffers from rashes or other types of damages, you may want to speak with your doctor before using it. It should also be used on children with care.
Make sure you use the shampoo within its expiration date. Never use anything expired on your skin and hair. When you have sensitive, itchy, and flaky skin – or if you suffer from some skin and scalp allergies – it is always good to read the labels and make sure you use the product within its expiration limits.
Is this product the best dandruff shampoo on the market? It may be for some, while others can certainly find something better. We will also try a few of the alternatives I already mentioned. However, if you simply want to start from something in your war against dandruff, try this Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. I think it will lead to the results you have been always looking for.
External References & Citations
- chevron-circle-right See the Amazon best dandruff shampoo list according to customers’ reviews
- chevron-circle-rightMaple Holistics Sage Anti-Dandruff Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightNizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightMaple Holistics Pure Tea Tree Oil Anti-Dandruff Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightClear Shampoo Complete Scalp Care Anti-Dandruff Review
- chevron-circle-rightPuriya Natural Dandruff Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightArt Naturals Dandruff Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightOm Botanical Dandruff Hair Loss Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightMaple Holistics Anti Dandruff Thickening Shampoo with Cedarwood Review
- chevron-circle-rightRedken Dandruff Control Shampoo Review
- chevron-circle-rightThe Wonder Seed Hemp Shampoo Review
Last update on 2021-04-18 at 10:54 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API