Have you ever wondered if there was a best foundation for dry skin? I know I have! When you have dry skin, applying foundation can be a pain. No matter what time of year it is, you may still have some problems. I can say from experience that dry patches can even be an issue in the summer time. This summer I have been battling acne, which is a new problem for me. Face masks and moisturizers have been my best friends.
The real issue is the fact that I get dry skin patches where my acne is healing. It felt impossible to wear makeup without making my skin look worse. Instead of giving up on wearing makeup, I decided to look into the best options for my dry, flaky skin. That includes proper skin care, prepping for makeup, and picking the best foundation for dry skin.
After a little experimentation of my own and some research, I want to share some tips and tricks with you. Hopefully, these products and a better skin routine will help you with your dry skin issues!
Skin Care Routine Tips For Dry Skin
If you have extremely dry skin, a proper skin care routine is going to be crucial. No matter what, a good routine is essential. But when it comes to other skin types, all you need is a facial cleanser and a moisturizer. Breaking out from time to time might be an issue, but oily skin types won’t have issues with dry skin patches.
If you have dry skin, you may struggle with flaky patches. Most people have a harder time in the winter time. But lately, I seem to have this problem all year around. Drastic times call for drastic measures. So the first step is getting your skin back to normal in the best way you can. There are a few ways you can do that.
Pick The Right Facial Cleanser
First, you can start by using the right facial cleanser. You may want to avoid the oil-free cleansers that may dry out your skin even further. Pick something that contains hyaluronic acid because it will help your skin retain moisture. Hydroboost Hydrating Cleanser Gel by Neutrogena is a good option. It’s affordable, won’t dry out your skin, and will cleanse and hydrate at the same time.
You may also want to consider hydrating masks. There are a ton of these on the market. If you aren’t a huge fan of oils, this is a wonderful option. You can put on a mask at night when you’re getting ready for bed. That way you won’t feel greasy the next morning, but your skin will still be soft and manageable. I personally like to use Freeman’s Renewing Cucumber Mask. But an overnight face mask would be another fantastic option. Such as the Mudmasky Sleep Repair Mask!
Moisturizers Are a Must
When you have dry skin, using a good moisturizer is the key. Remember that you will want to avoid anything that contains alcohol. When picking the right moisturizer, it’s best to choose a cream or salve. Avoid lotions because they normally have more alcohol in them to give them a thin consistency. NIVEA Creme is something the women in my family have always used. I have a feeling it’s the secret to youthful-looking skin because their skin has always been so soft and smooth. They honestly aged so gracefully because they moisturize daily. When you first use it, your skin can feel a little oily, but it doesn’t take long for it to soak in. It’s the perfect moisturizer to use right before bed on your face and neck!
Preparing For Flawless Makeup
I can understand the struggle of applying makeup to dry skin. But there are only a few things you need to do to make your skin look smooth. Prepping your skin isn’t hard to do.
The first thing I like to do is exfoliate. That will help remove any dead skin cells and smooth out your skin. I have been using the Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Mask recently. It helps with my acne issues and works as an exfoliant. But there are plenty of options on the market and a lot of DIY exfoliants you could make at home too!
- This unique polishing mask and scrub works double time to detox pores and...
- Activated Charcoal helps absorb oil and impurities without over-drying
- Black Sugar helps exfoliate away dulling skin cells for softness and clarity
After that, you will need to use a moisturizer and a primer. I know a lot of people like to steer clear of makeup primers that contain silicone. When it comes to dry skin, you may want to pick a foundation primer that contains dimethicone, which is silicone oil. It might sound scary, but it is a great product to use when you have dry skin and want to make your skin look smooth. A favorite makeup primer is Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer.
Try a Thick Salve
If you are having issues with dry skin patches like I do, you could also try a salve. I have the Glossier Skin and Lip Salve. You obviously need to get something that is sheer. Recently I have been putting it on before bed and before I put on makeup. I only apply it to the dry areas before putting on the rest of my makeup. But it’s the perfect way to keep any flaky skin looking smooth.
How to Pick the Best Foundation For Dry Skin
I never used to be very educated in the whole process of putting on makeup. Social media and makeup tutorials have come in handy. Even then you need to make sure you’re getting the right products for your skin type. I’m obviously going to focus on dry skin types, but it goes for all the other types too.
When I was learning how to apply makeup, I didn’t even think about different skin types or various options for foundation. I would grab whatever liquid foundation matched my skin tone and called it a day. But there is such a variety of options and no reason to settle for something that doesn’t work. There are liquid foundations that can be lightweight and sheer, or thicker and meant for full coverage. You can choose a powder foundation for a more natural look, but the liquid foundation is the smartest option for dry skin. It helps smooth out your rough patches and adds a little extra moisture.
The Best Liquid Foundation for Dry Skin
When picking the best foundation for dry skin, liquid foundation is your best bet. They can add moisture because they tend to contain more oils. There are a few different options in this category too. After checking out a bunch of makeup reviews, I want to give you a quick rundown of the top choices overall.
- Maybelline SuperStay Foundation is highly rated as one of the best full coverage foundations for dry skin. It has 24hour coverage, has a few great shades, and is a great summertime makeup option. Not to mention it’s also highly recommended as the best drugstore foundation for dry skin because it comes at such an affordable price!
- Superstay better skin foundation for an all-day flawless coverage now and a...
- Longwear that improves skin every minute you're in it: brighter, more even and...
- With the antioxidant power of actyl-c, a more durable form of vitamin c
- Wet n Wild Photo Focus is the best foundation for dry skin or combination skin. It’s meant to smooth everything out and leave you looking like you’re using a filter on your skin. It gives you a gorgeous glow! So if you have skin that can be both dry and oily depending on the area, this might be the right choice for you!
- High-performing, skin-perfecting foundation tested under seven different photo...
- Featuring a light-adjusting complex that stays selfie-perfect anytime, anyplace.
- Breakthrough formula featuring light-adjusting complex to help prevent white...
- Milani Conceal + Perfect is the best foundation for dry acne prone skin. I’ve been meaning to try it myself because that is definitely my skin type right now. It is a 2-in-1 product, which isn’t always something I’m interested in. But in this case, it contains concealer and foundation in one product. That is exactly what you need to cover up redness or acne scars!
- Neutrogena Hydroboost is the best foundation for dry, patchy skin. It’s such a lightweight and hydrating product. It’s considered to be more of a tinted moisturizer than a full coverage foundation. But in the summertime, this tinted moisturizer is definitely preferable to a heavy formula!
- 1.0 fluid ounce (30 mL) of liquid foundation for dry skin
- Liquid face makeup plumps skin and boosts hydration
- Refreshes thirsty skin for 24 hours
- Physicians Formula’s Healthy Foundation. It’s highly recommended as one of the best foundations for sensitive skin. I am currently using this product for my day-to-day look. I love the formula. It’s very lightweight, blends out beautifully, and gives you great coverage. But you will definitely need concealer and moisturizer for your dry skin with this one.
- Color, correction and hydration
- Naturally protects skin
- Hypoallergenic; Fragrance Free; Dermatologist approved; Gluten Free; Paraben...
Living With Dry Skin Doesn't Have to Be Impossible
I was thinking about going through the different kinds of foundation. Even the different kinds of makeup that could be used for dry, sensitive skin. But at the end of the day, liquid foundation is the best foundation for dry skin. I’m sure that there is such a thing as the best powder foundation for dry skin. But powder is typically a matte finish and tends to emphasize imperfections in your skin. So powder is better for oily skin. You could also put it on top of liquid foundation if you want a matte finish. That way you have a creamy layer before getting to your skin.
Before I even got into the best foundation for dry skin, I was talking a lot about other skin care products. Make sure you check them out, or find your own favorites. But using a hydrating moisturizer, face mask, or even facial cleanser is crucial to dry skin. The best way to use makeup on dry skin is to improve the canvas before applying the art. Get your skin healthy, hydrated, and as smooth as possible. Then using the best foundation for dry skin will only be important to maintain your beautiful skin. Good luck and feel free to share your favorite tips or products with us in the comments below!