For pretty much my entire life, I have always been an every-other day shower type of girl. Whenever I shower every single day my hair ends up feeling drier than normal. I can get away with this a bit more in the summertime. The air is more humid, I sweat more, my hair isn’t as dry from the bitter cold weather. But that doesn’t mean I want to have to shower every day. When I was younger, my mom introduced me to the fact that sprinkling baby powder or cornstarch in my hair and brushing it through could act as a dry shampoo. Just to absorb any extra oils at the roots since that’s about the only place I ever get oily. I didn’t even discover real dry shampoos until I was much older. Probably around the time that they became much more common and popular when I was a teenager. The funny thing is that my now-husband is the one who introduced me to it. I was getting ready for church in the morning at his house and was complaining about how I should have taken a shower the night before because my hair looked so dirty. He found his sisters dry shampoo and sprayed it in for me. Talk about a whole new world of possibilities!
Since then I use dry shampoo occasionally. It’s the most convenient product ever! But I haven’t looked into buying one in a long time. Since summer is just around the bend I’ve been thinking it’s high time to find the right one for me. So I will be working on our list of the 10 Best Dry Shampoo Options for 2018. The very first one on the list caught my eye! It is by Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe line and it is a texturizing dry shampoo. Time to do some digging and see if this is the right product for me this summer!
Things to Consider When Trying Not Your Mothers Beach Babe Dry Shampoo
Now is the time to look into the best and worst things about the product! Now I have a feeling that since this is #1 on our list, it’s well loved. But I want to know why! So I picked a few of the most important things I could think of when considering a dry shampoo. Since I’m familiar with a few products I’ve used I’m kind of basis this off of personal experience. You might be looking at different feature. But I’m hoping to cover all the bases here!
- Scent: You either love or hate this scent. It is supposed to be a coconut scent that reminds you of summertime and the beach. But a lot of customers were saying it reminds them more of a mix of toasted coconut and vanilla scents. Sounds pretty fantastic if you ask me! And I don’t even like coconut much! But they were also saying that this can be really strong, especially if you use a lot. If you’re like me and have pretty thick hair, you’ll probably end up doing exactly that!
- Hair Types: This works on all hair types and colors! This is especially great if you have thin hair that gets really oily and flat quickly. My sister has really full hair, but the strands are super fine. So her hair gets pretty greasy looking quickly. This would be great for her! By also promoting body and adding texture, it will also help volumize your hair. This would be perfect for me. I like curing my hair because it lasts a long time. At least until I wash it. But it can fall pretty flat on the second day. By spraying this on my roots I could fix that easily!
- Convenience: My favorite feature about dry shampoo in general is the fact that it is the perfect way to freshen up your hair. Since I have thick hair, when I take a shower I tend to be stuck with wet hair for most of the day. That’s not exactly what I want when I’m about to go out. Blow drying it is an option but it’s time consuming and my hair looks a million times puffier at the end. That usually means I’ll end up needing to style it as well and that just means spending even more time getting ready to go out. So if I need a quick and easy way to fix my hair before going out, dry shampoo is the fastest and most reliable ways to freshen up!
- Uses: It can actually help to preserve you hair color because you can shower and little bit less. At least you can wash your hair less, I would recommend popping on a shower cap and washing the rest of your body no matter what! But you can use this between washes which will help keep you from stripping the color out quickly by using soap on a daily basis.
- Drawbacks: The main drawback I saw consistent complaints about was the smell. It is a little too strong for some people. But Not Your Mother’s has a “Clean Freak” version of this dry shampoo as well. It’s more powdery fresh than this one. So if you like this brand in particular, you still have some options!
Who Should Buy This Product
I would recommend this for just about everyone because it is a great product and gets the job done! It works on all hair types and colors. It freshens up your roots without giving you that awful white dusting that can be hard to brush out sometimes. The almost translucent powder means that even if you have really dark hair, this is a great option! It is meant more for volume than absorbing oils. Although it still does absorb oils, it just isn’t meant mainly with that purpose in mind. So that makes it great for touch ups. It’s quick and easy, so if you do a lot in the summertime this could be a great option. Especially if your skin gets extra oily and makes your hair greasy in the front. Perfect for anyone who has bangs! That’s normally my main issue, although I haven’t had bangs in awhile.
Who Shouldn’t Buy This Product
This wouldn’t be highly recommended for anyone who is really sensitive to strong perfumes. The scent was the main complaint. Even if some customers enjoyed the product, they can have a real issue with smells. My mom is one of them. I could never wear perfumes around her without giving her a terrible headache. So this would probably be something I would tell her to avoid. Even though she loves the scent of coconut. It has to be subtle and not at all perfumy.
Another feature I thought you might want to avoid is the fact that this can really dull the shine in your hair. It is made with a powdery substance so this is pretty easy to expect. But can put some people off. It doesn’t ruin the shine or take it away permanently, just until your next shower.
Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Dry Shampoo
Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe texturizing dry shampoo comes in a 7oz bottle, which will last you longer than you would think. It comes at a super affordable price and you can either buy a single or stock up with some multi-pack options. This spray has a strong coconut and vanilla scent. It helps add texture and volume to hair. It is so quick and easy to use that it would be perfect for anyone who doesn’t take a shower every single day. If you hair is unexpectedly oily, this is a quick way to touch up your roots and make your hair appear fresh and cleaner. You can spray it in and wait a few minutes before working your fingers through your hair in case you do see any residue. After you use this product you can still style your hair as though it was freshly washed and dried!
- Adds texture and volume
- Super quick and easy to use
- Works on all hair types
- Leaves no residue
- Very strong scent
You may need to use a lot
Make hair look dull
May not work well on very oily hair
Features and Benefits
To give you a good idea of everything you can expect from this product, I wanted to give you the rundown of its best features. There are honestly a lot of great things about Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Dry Shampoo! To make things easy and save you some time in your own research, I want to list them all for you!
- You can purchase this product in multi-packs. I personally think this is a great feature because I might be tempted to get this for myself and some friends as well. If it works that well, why not?
- It is a cruelty free product. I know this is important to a lot of customers.Why buy a questionable item when you can get one like this with a guarantee. There is really no good reason that a product should be tested on animals and I’m certainly glad to have that reassurance with this product.
- Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Dry Shampoo is also paraben free! I don’t know if everyone knows about or watches out for parabens in their beauty products. But it is very important. Parabens have been linked to cancer, although I don’t know if they have any really reliable studies and whether products normally have enough to really effect you. But I personally think it’s better to choose an item without just in chase. No sense in possibly poisoning your body and taking the chance when you can avoid it.
- This Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Dry Shampoo comes in a coconut scent. Customers claimed it actually reminded them of more of a toasted coconut and vanilla mix, rather than straight coconut. It is fairly strong, so keep that in mind. But a lot of customers didn’t mind. It really just depends on what you like and whether you are really sensitive to different scents.
- A really important feature is the fact that this product works on all hair types! It doesn’t matter what your hair type might be or what color it is. This will give you no issues! It has minimal residue because it is more of a transparent spray, rather than leaving behind a white powdery residue.
- My favorite thing about dry shampoo has always been the fact that it saves so much time getting ready. My hair is much more manageable than it used to be. It was a nightmare when I was a young teenager. But now it’s much better! However, I still need to be able to freshen up at times. As I mentioned before, I need something between showers since I shower every other day. This is a quick solution and my hair won’t be soaking wet for most of my day!
- In the summertime I have issues with my hair getting oily in the front. By using this dry shampoo I can freshen up easily without overwashing my hair during the summer. It absorbs the excess oils to an extent and makes my hair look clean and soft.
- Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Dry Shampoo is perfect for adding texture and body. I love that because I can fall a little flat at my roots between showers, even if I’m not oily.
- I know you can use hairspray to add volume as well. But unlike hairspray this won’t make you hair feel gunky, heavy or stiff and crunchy. I personally can’t stand using hairspray. My hair holds curl really well and I have experience putting into updo’s without it falling out halfway through the day. So I would much rather use a dry shampoo for volume than anything that could make my hair feel sticky and gross.
Even though I think this is a great product, I wanted to list a few more. I know that not everyone likes the same things. For some of you the powerful scent of this product might really put you off, even though others will love it. But just in case you’re looking for something a little different I wanted to give you a few alternative options!
Dove Refresh + Care Dry Shampoo
Dove has another affordable option! This dry shampoo comes in a 5oz bottle, so it is a little bit smaller. But has a fresh scent, similar to their soap! It is not as overwhelming (to most) and fades faster. That way even if you start out too strong, you won’t be a walking cloud all day. Dove achieves a lot of similar benefits. It absorbs excess oils, adds body and texture, you don’t need much, but it does leave behind more white residue if you aren’t careful to spray it at a far enough distance from your hair. It is also quick, easy to apply and will leaving you looking and feeling fresh all day.
Who Would Buy This Product
I would definitely recommend this for anyone who is looking for something quick and easy for a touch up. Maybe you need something for after work, before you hit the town. Maybe you have colored hair and don’t wash it all the time for color longevity. Whatever your reasons, this is a great option because it will work well and has a really fresh scent!
Dove Refresh + Care vs Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe: Dry Shampoo Comparison
- Not Your Mother’s comes in a slightly larger size
- Doves scent is fresh and not overwhelming
- Not Your Mother’s won’t leave behind white residue
- Both are lightweight and won’t weigh down your hair
Overall, this is another great option. I wouldn’t say that this is in any way a superior product, but it does have its own individual perks. This is another fantastic option for freshening up, absorbing excess oils, saving time and smells clean and refreshing! If you’re interested in Dove Refresh + Care Dry Shampoo you can find it for an excellent price on Amazon!
Batiste Clean and Classic Dry Shampoo
So I decided to add this one to the list because a lot of customers that didn’t like the Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe variety, love Batiste and decided to stick with it instead. It comes in a 2-pack for a reasonable price, although it is a little more expensive for about the same amount of product. You don’t need much to freshen up! It also absorbs oils, adds texture and body and is very quick and easy to use. Even some men left reviews and enjoyed using this product as well! It works on all hair colors and types so it will work for anyone!
Who Should Buy This Product
I would recommend this for anyone who wants to get a trusted brand that has been around for a long time. It has a lot of return customers because they were so happy with the results! If you need something that will help provide body, texture and fullness, this could be the right product for you! And if you prefer to see what people say about a product, this one has a lot of great reviews you can check out before purchasing!
Batiste vs Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe: Dry Shampoo Comparison
- Batiste comes in a 2-pack
- Not Your Mother’s smells like coconut and vanilla
- Batiste was prefered by some customers over Not Your Mother’s
- Both work on all hair types
- Not Your Mother’s doesn’t leave as much white residue behind
If you’re looking for a trusted formula, you might be in luck! There were a lot of customers who preferred this and it made me curious. It has a weird scent according to some reviews, sort of like a cleaning product. But it absorbs oil well, adds texture and body, and it it a crowd favorite! If you’d like to try out this product for yourself, you can find Batiste Original Clean and Classic Dry Shampoo on Amazon!
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo
Okay, so I’ve always been more of a price oriented person, so I was a little critical of this one. But to my surprise there were a lot of happy customers! It comes in a 4oz can for a steep price. But it leaves no white residue if used properly! It absorbs oils, sweat and odor. I don’t typically know people with stinky heads, but I understand you can smell unwashed after a few day of not washing your hair. This with breakup that smell and leave it smelling really good! It also adds texture and body. You also won’t need a lot and that’s most likely the key to avoiding that white residue. Overall, there were a lot of really happy customers who didn’t have a lot of luck with other products but adored this one!
Living Proof vs Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe: Dry Shampoo Comparison
- Not Your Mother’s is much cheaper and you get more
- Living Proof absorbs oils, sweat and odor
- Both don’t leave a white powdery residue
- Living Proof has a nice fresh but subtle smell
- Both add texture and volume
Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe is a great line of products. I reviewed their texturizing sea salt spray in the past and it was another well loved product! Dry shampoo in general is one of my favorite go-to products. Talk about coming in clutch! Whenever I’m planning on going out I get ready ahead of time. But I used to work in a grocery store and would pull some long shifts before going out at night with my friends. Dry shampoo was incredibly handy as a carry on item to pop in my bag so I could freshen up after work. I would even freshen up in the car before leaving work! No need for a bathroom or to stop at home. This one even smells nice so you don’t have to bring perfume too! Although I probably wouldn’t use a perfume in addition to this anyway. The smells would either clash or people will be able to smell you coming.
Another great thing about this product is the fact that it can be used to freshen up your hair. Even after using it you can style as needed without causing extra damage! Or if you already styled your hair after a shower and just need to spruce it up a little the next day, just spray this on your roots. It will add texture and volume at the top where it normally falls flat. So after considering all this we decided to give this a 5 star review! It has so many perks! So if you’re interested in trying Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Dry Shampoo you can find it on Amazon! You can even find it in multi-pack to stock up if you really love it!
Last update on 2023-04-18 at 02:11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API