Working on our list of the 10 Best Dry Shampoo Products of 2018 has been pretty eye opening. I probably know more about dry shampoo now than I ever thought I would. It is great for so many things! But the one problem I ran into when researching dry shampoos was finding one both my husband and I could use.
After deciding I needed something more neutral, I was pretty drawn to one of the last items on our list. Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo is supposed to be a really great brand (also topping our list) but it has a scent that isn’t as strong and fades quickly! This could be a wonderful option for me and my husband!
Things to Consider When Trying Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Dry Shampoo
There are always important things to consider before deciding to purchase any product. Here are the important details of Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo!
- Scent: This is a big thing I was looking for personally. I want something neutral that most people won’t mind. That includes women and men. Typically products like this are geared towards women. But there are a lot of men who would find use out of a product like this. Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak has a very simple and clean scent. From what I can tell, you don’t need much to freshen up your roots so that will contribute to the mild scent. If you use a lot, you will probably smell stronger than anticipated. But any smell is supposed to fade quickly. So if you use this to freshen up before bed, you will wake up to grease free hair and can use any perfume or cologne you want by the morning.
- Hair Types: Dry shampoo is something you can use on pretty much any type of hair. This one is the same! It will help even the most oily hair and creates minimal residue! Now, if you do have a very sensitive scalp I don’t think I would advise getting the twin pack until you know this won’t irritate your scalp. I don’t have a very sensitive scalp normally, but I do have fairly dry hair. But Not Your Mother’s promises that this won’t dry out your hair further, which is perfect for me.
- Affordability: This is super affordable and comes in a twin pack! Since I’m probably going to get something my husband and I can both use, more is definitely better for me. It comes out to 14oz total between the two 7oz cans. But even if you’re only getting it for yourself, you could keep one in your bathroom and one in your bag for on the go use.
- Convenience: Not only will this work for just about everyone, it’s probably one of the most convenient products ever made. As I said before, I used to use baby powder on my roots to absorb the oils. But that left my hair chalky and looking rather grey. This comes in an aerosol can so you can spray it onto your hair in select spots and distribute it evenly. That makes it so much easier to use and bring along as a carry on item in your bag. Perfect for anyone who is super busy! Or even when you’re traveling!
- Uses: Of course, the main purpose for a dry shampoo is to absorb the oils at your roots. This is really meant as a spot treatment, not something that you’ll need to use over your whole head. Your roots are normally the most oily part of your hair. By using this dry shampoo, you can absorb the oils and make your hair appear cleaner. It will also boost the volume so that you won’t be flat on top. This is perfect if you’re a very busy person, whether you work a lot or have to keep up with kids or both! It is the perfect way to freshen up your hair really quickly! You can even take it with you to use after work, during hospital stays, while you’re traveling, or even when you’re camping and don’t have availability to shower regularly.
- Drawbacks: The biggest drawback for a majority of dry shampoo is the residue that it can leave in your hair. This one will leave a residue, but there weren’t a whole lot of complaints. Some people mentioned that the residue wasn’t normal and powdery, but more like dandruff. I imagine that comes from not shaking the can properly before using it. Other than that, just remember that this will give you a very matte finished result. So if you want your hair to look really shiny like you just hopped out of the shower, I would recommend just taking a shower instead. But this is a wonderful backup product in case you don’t mind the matte finish and are really short on time.
Who Should Buy This Product
I would really like to get this product as something my husband and I can both use. I think it would be perfect for any guy who doesn’t want to smell like a girl. It has a nice clean scent, rather than a perfume based one and it will fade quickly. Other than that, this really holds its own against other dry shampoo options. It absorbs oils and dirt, adds volume to your roots, and can be used on any hair type! It is perfect if you’re always on the go, have very naturally oily hair, or just want to have something on-hand in case of emergencies.
Who Shouldn’t Buy This Product
So after doing all this research on dry shampoos, I don’t think I would recommend this to someone who is very picky about their products. This is a very straightforward dry shampoo and it will do the job really well. But this isn’t what you’re looking for if you want something that won’t show any residue at all and that will make your hair feel clean. In some of our previous products, there were a few that made your hair feel super soft and manageable. But this will most likely make it feel dirty. It will look clean, but it will probably be difficult to run your fingers through it. I don’t mind so much because I already have pretty dry hair on a regular basis. But if you aren’t used to that and love the feeling of soft and smooth hair, this might not be your favorite.
Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Dry Shampoo
Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo comes in a 7oz aerosol can for a very reasonable price. You can also purchase the twin pack and have an extra in the closet or as a carry on item! It has a very fresh scent that will fade quickly. A little bit goes a lot way, so this product will last you a long time. Most other products on the list were half the size and twice the price or more. This is a wonderful go-to product because it is a trusted brand and it absorbs oils and adds volume to your roots easily. It’s great if you need to freshen up quickly. It is also used pretty regularly by people who are trying to limit their use of shampoo and join the “no poo” movement.
- Very affordable as a twin pack
- Larger sizes than most options
- Very clean but neutral scent
- May make hair appear dull
- Will most likely cause some residue
- Hair may feel dirtier
Features and Benefits
I already gave you a breakdown of what to expect that will make it really easy to compare this with other products. But I wanted to break down this product in more detail. Just to give you a better idea of the individual qualities of this product. Hopefully that will make it a whole lot easier to decide whether this is the right product for you!
- First off, this will absorb the excess oils that make your hair look dirty. All you need to do is spray it on your roots. I recommend spraying underneath and waiting a minute or two before you work it into your hair. You can do that with either a brush or just your fingertips. By doing it that way, you will maximize volume and minimize residue.
- This also has a very fresh and clean scent. It is favored by some over the Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe dry shampoo because this has a more neutral scent that fades quickly. The Beach Babe option smells like coconuts and vanilla, which isn’t exactly what everyone is going for.
- Not Your Mother’s products are very affordable. The dry shampoos are larger than most in their 7oz size and you can typically get them in a twin pack. With a twin pack you get 14oz of product and still only pay half the price of some other dry shampoos.
- Dry shampoo is not only great for absorbing oils at your roots. It is also the perfect way to add volume to your roots. No hairspray needed! I don’t know about you, but I have always despised the sticky, crunchy feeling of hairspray in my hair.
- This product will work for just about everyone! It will work on all hair types and will not dry out your hair.
- If you are always on the go this could be the perfect product for you. It will make getting ready very quick and easy because you can extend the life of washed hair for a few days. That also makes it perfect for anyone who has been trying to use less shampoo. Transitioning to life without shampoo can be pretty rough. Your hair will be super greasy in the beginning, when you rinse it. But you can fight the look of oily hair with dry shampoo until things even out a little.
- This is also a great product to use if you are looking to extend the life of your hair color. When you dye your hair unnatural colors like red, pink, blue, or whatever color you choose, it can be hard to maintain those colors long-term. The dyes for these colors aren’t usually damaging to your hair. But that doesn’t mean you want to touch up the color all the time. By taking time between showers, you won’t have to touch up your hair as often. So this dry shampoo will break up the look of dirty hair and preserve your color!
In case this isn’t exactly what you were on the market for, I wanted to suggest a few more options. I know that though this one works well, it isn’t going to make your hair feel very nice and it might not be everyone’s favorite. So here are three alternatives just in case!
Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Dry Shampoo
So I wanted to start out with an alternative from the same brand, since they both made the list! It is a little bit different and it is still one of the top products on our list. It is well known, well loved, and one of those affordable products I was talking about. It comes in a 7oz bottle, that you can either get in a single or a multipack. It works for all hair types and it is paraben free. The big difference between Beach Babe and Clean Freak is the scent. Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe smells like coconut and vanilla. It’s super summery and a lot of people prefer it for the smell. But it is more focused on adding volume and texture to your hair. Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak is a bit better at absorbing oils, at least according to the brand.
Who Would Buy This Product
This would be a fantastic product to start out with. It is simple to use, well loved, and you can find it just about anywhere! It comes in a nice size and has a great price, so it will last you awhile for little cost. It also has a pleasant coconut vanilla scent, according to the customers. It reminds you of summer, all while absorbing the oils at your roots and saving you so much time while getting ready!
Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe vs Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak: Dry Shampoo Comparison
- Clean Freak has a fresh and clean scent that fades quickly
- Beach Babe has a beachy coconut and vanilla scent that sticks around
- Both will absorb oils and help you freshen up quickly
- Both will give you body, volume, and texture
In the end this is just about the most straightforward product there is. It smells wonderful, like summer. It fixes your hair up in seconds with a few sprays. It’s incredibly affordable. But most of all it is well loved by customers who all say it does exactly what it claims to do! So if you happen to be interested in trying this first, you can find Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Dry Shampoo on Amazon!
Batiste Clean and Classic Dry Shampoo
So I decided to add this one to the list because a lot of customers that didn’t like the Not Your Mother’s variety, love Batiste and decided to stick with it instead. It also comes in a 2-pack for a reasonable price, although it is a little more expensive for about the same amount of product. You don’t need much to freshen up! It also absorbs oils, adds texture and body, and is very quick and easy to use. Some men liked it enough to leave some positive reviews! It works on all hair colors and types, so it will work for just about anyone!
Who Should Buy This Product
I would recommend this for anyone who wants to get a trusted brand that has been around for a long time. It has a lot of return customers because they were so happy with the results! If you need something that will help provide body, texture, and fullness, this could be the right product for you. And if you prefer to see what people say about a product, this one has a lot of great reviews you can check out before purchasing.
Batiste vs Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak: Dry Shampoo Comparison
- Both come in a 2-pack option
- Not Your Mother’s smells clean and fresh
- Batiste was prefered by some customers over Not Your Mother’s
- Both work on all hair types
- Not Your Mother’s doesn’t leave as much white residue behind
If you’re looking for a trusted formula, you might be in luck! There were a lot of customers who preferred this and it made me curious. It has a weird scent according to some reviews, sort of like a cleaning product. But it absorbs oil well, adds texture and body, and it it a crowd favorite! If you’d like to try out this product for yourself, you can find Batiste Original Clean and Classic Dry Shampoo on Amazon.
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo
I’ve always been more of a price oriented person, so I was a little critical of this one. But to my surprise there were a lot of happy customers! It comes in a 4oz can for a steep price. But it leaves no white residue if used properly! It absorbs oils, sweat, and odor. I don’t typically know people with stinky heads, but I understand you can smell unwashed after a few day of not washing your hair. It also adds texture and body. You won’t need a lot and that’s most likely the key to avoiding that white residue. Overall, there were a lot of really happy customers who didn’t have a lot of luck with other products but adored this one!
Who Should Buy This Product
A few interesting reviews I saw were from people who have dreads. I never thought about how useful dry shampoo could be if that was the case! But they really enjoyed this product because it was easy to avoid a white residue. When you have dreads, I imagine that can be hard to get rid of. It isn’t like you can just brush it out. But other than that, this worked for a lot of customers who don’t normally have much luck with dry shampoos. If you’ve ever had any issues and wish you could find something that really works, this might be just the thing!
Living Proof vs Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe: Dry Shampoo Comparison
- Not Your Mother’s is much cheaper and you get more
- Living Proof absorbs oils, sweat, and odor
- Both don’t leave a white powdery residue
- Living Proof has a nice fresh but subtle smell
- Both add texture and volume
I know this is a pricier option. I’m always going to lean towards the cheaper option unless it doesn’t work at all. But there were a lot of people who tried everything they could think of and nothing worked well for them. This was just what they had been searching for and they were return customers despite the price. If you’ve ever had trouble finding the right product for you, you can find Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo on Amazon!
- REFRESHING DRY SHAMPOO: Refreshing dry shampoo spray instantly absorbs excess...
- ORIGINAL FRAGRANCE: Leaves hair feeling—and smelling—fresh and clean with...
- NO RINSING REQUIRED: This waterless shampoo leaves hair feeling washed without a...
Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo might not be on the top of out list, but it is a foolproof item. It smells good, can be used on all hair types, and will absorb the oils and dirt between washes. It also makes getting ready in half the time so much easier. I mentioned in the beginning that I was looking for a product that both me and my husband could use. That means it has to be something that will work on different types of hair. This is such a straightforward product and I think it will do the job really well. If you’re interested in trying Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo you can find it for a fantastic price on Amazon!
Last update on 2023-04-18 at 02:11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API