Makeup can be so expensive. And as a mom, there are so many other things you’d rather spend the money on. DIY makeup is my new favorite thing to save a few bucks. And it’s better for your skin too! Many women don’t like to wear a full-face makeup day in and day out. It’s not just a lot of hassle, but it can also take a toll on your skin. However, you might still want your lips to receive the care they deserve. Naturally tinted lip balm is the ideal alternative for you since it’s smoother and more subtle than lipstick.
So why not give it a shot and make your own? You will need a handful of natural ingredients that you probably already have at home. Below are three of the easiest tinted lip balm recipes that you could try.
1. Natural Tinted Lip Balm Recipe
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp Shea (or cocoa) butter
- 1 tbsp beeswax
- 1/2 tsp red or rose mica powder
- 2-4 drops of peppermint essential oil (optional)
- Start by melting the beeswax, coconut oil, and shea/cocoa butter. Place them in a glass jar sitting in a small pot filled with simmering water (not boiling). Stir gently until the ingredients melt (do not add any water to the mixture).
- After melting them, add the essential oils or the colors (if using any). My favorite is vanilla, but lemon works great for scent too, while a sprinkle of red powder enhances the color.
- Once you’ve mixed in the colors/scents, transfer the mixture to lip chap containers and let cool. If you’re using tins instead of containers, apply the tinted lip balm with your finger.
2. Homemade Raspberry Lip Balm
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ – 1 tsp beeswax (for a firm lip balm)
- ½ tbsp. ground freeze-dried raspberries (available at Trader Joe’s)
- Use the coffee grinder to grind the raspberries. The result should be a very fine powder.
- Melt the beeswax and the coconut oil and mix them in a double boiler. Add the ground freeze-dried raspberry powder and stir gently.
- Transfer the mixture to a container with a lid. Let sit to harden before use.
Note: If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s nearby, you can always order your ground freeze dried raspberries from your local health-food store or online. The recipe works with freeze-dried cherries as well, but the color will be less intense. Feel free to experiment until you reach a composition you love!
3. Natural-looking Tinted Lip Balm
- 1 tbsp argan oil
- 2 tbsp jojoba oil
- Four tsp beeswax
- Four tsp shea butter
- 1/4 tsp essential oils
- Two tsp alkanet root powder
- Take out your double boiler and use the super-low heat to melt the argan and jojoba oils, as well as the butter and beeswax. Stir constantly until the ingredients melt.
- Remove the mixture from heat and add the alkanet root powder. Mix in a few drops of essential oils (whichever you like best). Now stir vigorously to combine the oils completely. Stirring is also vital for distributing the alkanet root powder evenly.
- As soon as you stop stirring and remove the tinted lip balm mixture from heat, everything will start solidifying. So don’t delay pouring the mixture into the containers. Allow it to cool until firm and completely solid.
Which lip balm idea was your favorite? Will you try those out at home now? Let us know in the comments below!
Related Article: 6 of the Best Home Remedies for Sensitive Teeth