I have very long and very thick hair, which is completely straight. As you can imagine, getting nice wavy strands or lush curls to last at least a full day is a very difficult task. I have given up on curling irons a long time ago and decided to accept things how they were. Moreover, I had a few bad experience with curling irons that burnt my hair. In addition, given the length of my hair, getting the curls in the morning to go to the office meant spending a lot of time waiting for some curls to occur.
Two months ago, I had to attend to a very fancy evening event and of course, I wanted to do something about my hair. I was ready to make an appointment with my hair stylist to get a nice updo or hairstyle, when one of my colleagues asked me if I knew about the Mr. Big Curling Iron. I tended to dismiss her enthusiasm for the product, knowing that most curling irons did not work for my hair thickness and length. However, she insisted, praising this iron as being one of the best curling irons on the market, one of the longest ones in existence and one of the most efficient.
She made a compelling case about the Mr. Big Curling Iron and after some thought I decided to buy it. After all, maybe it was about time to believe in modern technology and try the new products out there.
I have used this curling iron almost on a daily basis for about a month and I think it is time for me to tell how things go…
Things to Consider before Buying the Mr. Big Curling Iron
Women with wild hair – as I call it – usually have a hard time getting beach waves or some curls with the help of an iron. Straight, thick, long hair needs special care and a lot of time to reach the look you want it to reach. However, after trying the Mr. Big Curling Iron, I found that new technology is indeed something to appreciate. If you found that your curling irons lead to more than just curls – hair frizz and breakage for me, at least – then let me tell you some things about this iron to help you understand it better.
These are the main things you should know before you buy this product:
- Technology: The first thing that strikes you is the length of the barrel in conjunction with the length of the clip. The iron has a ceramic coating, which does not burn your hair and protects it from frizz and breakage. It also comes with a rotating tip, multiple heat settings, extra-long thumb grip, automatic shut-off, coated stand, extra-long cord, proper wattage, and so on. I will get into the tech specs and details immediately. Overall, this is a very useful and well-built curling iron.
- Efficiency: How would you like to blink once and have superb curls that last all day? The curling iron does its job spectacularly. It reduced the time to get the curls I wanted by half. The curls stay all day long. The process is easy and fast and you can get nice curls from bottom up in just one move. You do not risk burning your hair or fingers, everything works smoothly, no frizz, excellent curly bouncy hair in minutes – and my hair is waist-long.
- Type of hair: The friend who recommended me this iron has medium-long hair and she was ecstatic with the results. I feared the iron would not work on my hair length and density/thickness, but it did with no fuss. I think this iron works on all types of hairs and all lengths. However, if you have thin hair keep in mind to set the correct temperature to avoid burns.
- Multiple hair benefits: Besides the curls, the iron will help you get shinier, smoother, more voluminous hair – while eliminating the frizz and breakage. I would warn you to set your expectations correctly, no matter what type of iron you choose. It will not perform miracles if you do not know how and when to use it.
- Curling process: You can clip your hair at the base of the barrel and twirl the strand from the bottom up using both hands, or use one hand and take advantage of the rotating tip for easy twirling. I also suggest you can start at the top of the strand and twirl the hair while releasing the clip as you rotate, twirl, release, and repeat until the entire strand is curled.
Who Should Buy This Curling Iron
This is a great curling iron for all women wanting fast, luscious, long-holding curls, no matter how short or long their hair is and no matter how thick or thin it is.
Who Should Not Buy This Curling Iron
If your hair is extremely sensitive to heat or you suffer from some dermatological issue that prevents you from using irons, you should consider curling your hair with other more traditional methods.
Mr. Big Curling Iron
This Mr. Big Curling Iron is a ceramic iron with an extra-long barrel and clip and plenty of tech features that make it one of the best curling irons on the market. It saves you a lot of time with hair styling and for busy women like myself this is a godsend. I think I can sum up everything by conveying the pros and cons of this product as follows:
- Extremely efficient
- Very easy to use
- Curls last all day
- You have to make sure it is right for your type of hair
- The spinning tip may disconcert you
Mr. Big Curling Iron Features and Benefits
This is a great curling iron and I will continue to use it for as long as it will work – and buy a new one after this one dies on me. I have used plenty of curling irons in the past and threw them all out eventually. This one stays. I love how it works and how my hair benefits from it.
I want to write down a list containing the main features and benefits of this curling iron, as I said I would get into some details.
- The ceramic triple-plated barrel uses negative ion technology to reduce frizz and leave your hair silky and shiny, with perfect curls.
- It helps you curl over 15 inches more hair in a single pass.
- Extra-long barrel and clip.
- Ergonomic grip with anti-slip and anti-burn properties.
- It cuts your curling time in half.
- Extra-long cord.
- The temperature range is 180-430 degrees and it is accurate. Moreover, the 9.5 inch barrel and 6 different temperature settings make it easy to use on all hair lengths and types.
- Despite its length, it is very lightweight, making the curling process fast and easy.
- It helps minimize frizz and hair breakage due to the coating.
- The cool-to-touch rotating grip is a very useful and pleasant feature.
- The curls hold all day long.
Alternatives to the Mr. Big Curling Iron
When you search the Internet for a specific product, you also bump into other similar products as well. I listed here three alternatives to this curling iron, hoping that they may work even better for you. I think I will also test at least one of them, now that my faith in curling irons has been restored.
This Hey Beauty curling wand features tourmaline ceramic ionic tech that distributes even heating and emits negative ions to seal the cuticle and eliminate frizz. It also comes with a premium insulated cooling tip, a built-in safety-stand, a high-end heat resistant glove, and a digital thermostat among others.
Who Should Use this Curling Iron
Mr. Big Curling Iron vs. Hey Beauty Curling Iron Comparison
- Hey Beauty has a shorter barrel than Mr. Big;
- Mr. Big comes with auto shut-off;
- Hey Beauty comes with extra specs and accessories;
- Hey Beauty has a shorter cord but the cord wraps around the handle;
If you want an alternative to this Mr. Big Curling Iron, check out the Hey Beauty Curling Iron as well. It may even work better for you if you want a no-fuss iron at a very small price.
This is another interesting alternative in the best curling irons department. It is a 5-in-1 interchangeable ceramic tourmaline barrels set for maximum styling, which will allow you to vary your look with ease. It also features 9 precise temperature settings.
Who Should Use this Curling Iron
Women who change their looks and hairstyles often and who want different types of curls in different days. Women who want to get rid of the clutter of irons and hair tools, and get just one set to cover all their styling needs.
Mr. Big Curling Iron vs. xtava Set Comparison
- xtava includes 5 detachable barrels for different types of curls;
- xtava does not come with a cool tip;
- Both irons feature a 60 minute auto shut off function;
- xtava comes with a 2 year warranty and money back guarantee on the 5 in 1 hair curling iron;
- xtava is cheaper.
This seems like a more professional, salon-style curling iron set and I think it works best for women who want different hairstyles and different types of curls. As tech specs and price go, this curling iron may be even better for you, so check out the xtava 5 in 1 Professional Curling Iron and Wand Set and decide!
This is another excellent option in the best curling irons department, and it seems to be easy to use and quite efficient.
Who Should Use this Curling Iron
Women who want fast and cute corkscrew curls that last 24 hours. From a tech point of view, this curling iron is interesting, to say the least, so you might want to try it if you want fast and hassle-free curls.
Mr. Big Curling Iron vs. Lee Stafford Comparison
- Lee Stafford has no controls and heats up to a fixed temperature of 450 degrees Fahrenheit;
- Lee Stafford’s manufacturer recommends you use a hair heat protection treatment and heat resistant glove because the chopstick gets quite hot;
- Lee Stafford heats up in 15 seconds and provides 24 hours-lasting curls;
- Lee Stafford comes with a money back warranty;
If you think that if you need cute, tight, corkscrew curls fast and easy – and you are versed in using such an iron – the Lee Stafford Ceramic Curling Wand may be exactly what you need for a fast, no fuss hair styling option.
As I said at the beginning of this review, I have given up hope regarding curling irons, because my extra-long and thick hair proved to be hard to manage and style with regular irons and wands. Having tried the Mr. Big Curling Iron for a full month on an almost daily basis,
One might think that curling waist-long thick and dense hair every day will eventually wear out the iron, leading to some small malfunctions or a sense of exhaustion. It never happened so far. The iron works as well as it did the first day and I do not see any sign of it being less functional as it was initially. It is still a sturdy piece of equipment.
I think the Mr. Big Curling Iron works well with medium and even short hair, thinner or normal. The long barrel is versatile enough to allow you nice and fast hairstyling without much fuss. It will curl your long strands or short ends in one pass. This does protect your hair and prevents frizzing, overheating, and burning because you do not have to repeat the heating and the curling on the same strand twice.
The curling iron comes with a strong non-slip grip that is ergonomic, it heats up relatively fast, and it allows you to set the temperature right. You may not feel comfortable taking it on vacation, (size does matter in this case) but you can rely on it to help you style your hair every day.
Is this product one of the best curling irons on the market? For me it is. I will certainly try others, now that I regained my appetite for hi-tech hair tools, but I am very happy with this one so far. Others can certainly find something better. I will try at least one of the alternatives I already mentioned. Until then, I will get my curls on with the Mr. Big Curling Iron and be very happy about it – which I also wish you.
External References & Citations
- chevron-circle-right See the best curling irons on the market according to Amazon reviews!
- chevron-circle-rightMr. Big Curling Iron Review
- chevron-circle-rightHey Beauty Curling Iron Review
- chevron-circle-rightLee Stafford Ceramic Curling Wand Review
- chevron-circle-rightxtava 5 in 1 Professional Curling Iron and Wand Set Review
- chevron-circle-rightPARWIN BEAUTY Curling Iron Review
- chevron-circle-rightAnjou Curling Iron Review
- chevron-circle-rightHot Tools Professional Spring Curling Iron Review
- chevron-circle-rightInfiniti Pro Ceramic Curling Wand Review
- chevron-circle-rightBerta Ceramic Curling Iron Review
- chevron-circle-rightGeneric Riwa Curling Iron Set Review