If you’re a die hard makeup lover, you probably know about a little product called setting spray. It is meant to lock in your makeup and keep you looking fresh and flawless all day. And let’s be honest here, who doesn’t want to keep their makeup looking perfect? We all work hard to get our makeup just right, so we should get as much time out of it as possible!
Most of us just spritz setting spray on after we finish our makeup and call it a day. But did you know that there are so many more uses for setting sprays? After a bit of research, I learned quite a few tips and tricks to get the most out of your setting sprays. I want to tell you about a few top products and the new ways you could use them to get your look to last!
Why Should You Use a Setting Spray
As I already said, setting sprays are meant to set your makeup and help it last longer. There are a few different types of setting sprays. I want to break them down for you into three basic categories and why you should choose each type.
Type 1: Containing Alcohol
The first kind of setting spray contains alcohol, although the amount may vary. You might see that as a bad thing since we usually are trying to steer clear of alcohol in skin products. However, most people say that setting sprays that contains alcohol are the best kind. When it’s sprayed on, it helps the makeup bind together and evaporates quickly. That will keep it from sliding around on your face.
First, you want to check out the ingredient list. If alcohol is listed as the first ingredient, it tends to contain more alcohol than water. That kind is not suitable for people with sensitive or dry skin types. Typically, you will want to look for setting sprays with water listed as the first ingredient and alcohol listed second. Less alcohol is a better option for most people unless you have super oily skin. In that case, you should consider the stronger choice.
Type 2: No Alcohol
Many people prefer these types of setting sprays because they have dry or sensitive skin. However, many beauty bloggers seem to avoid using these setting sprays, especially in the summertime or in humid climates. They are better for very dry skin types or for intensifying your eyeshadow, which I will talk about soon. But they are much better for refreshing your makeup or getting rid of that cakey look we all hate. They don’t work as well for keeping the makeup in place.
You could also consider using this setting spray after you have taken your makeup off. Many of these products contain great minerals that will hydrate and nourish your skin. So while they don’t always work well as a setting spray, they are still great for your skin.
Type 3: The 2-in-1 Primer and Setting Sprays
Having a 2-in-1 product sounds like a great idea in theory. You won’t need to buy two separate products. But these don’t always work well for everyone. They are very similar to mixing Type 1 and Type 2. So they refresh and hydrate as a primer, which may make oily skin worse. They also work as a setting spray but will work best for a dry or combination skin type, not so much an oily skin type.
Uses for Setting Sprays
As promised, I want to give you a few tips and tricks to getting the most out of your setting sprays! Most of us generally use them for their original purpose, which is great. All of us want to get longevity out of our makeup. But there is so much more to it!
- First, I want to stress a tip about alcohol based setting sprays. You need to spray those products on with your eyes and mouth closed. Then you should wait about 15-20 seconds before opening your eyes. By waiting at least a little while for the mist to disperse and the alcohol to evaporate, you won’t hurt your eyes. If you have ever used one of these products before and you have experienced a burning sensation, that means that you needed to keep your eye closed longer!
- Type 2, or alcohol-free setting spray, can be used to intensify your makeup. Load up your brush with eyeshadow and then spritz the brush with setting spray. That will help make your eyeshadow look much bolder. Many of us have a favorite eyeshadow that looks better in the container than it does on our faces. But this trick will help regular eyeshadow go on more like a creme eyeshadow and add that extra intensity! But remember not to use a setting spray that contains alcohol! If that is the only kind you have, use water instead and finish up with the setting spray to keep it in place. The water just won’t evaporate as quickly.
- You can also spray some setting spray on a thin brush and use it to fix your winged eyeliner. This is the perfect trick for anyone who tends to make one wing thicker than the other. By using setting spray, on a brush you can remove the excess without wiping off too much makeup! And let’s be honest, it’s rare to get winged eyeliner right on the first try. At least not when you freehand like I do!
- Apply setting spray to your brush or beauty blender before blending out your foundation or concealer. This trick will help you achieve that gorgeous airbrushed look we all strive for. It will also help get the makeup smooth and avoid any buildup in your fine lines or oily areas.
- You could also apply setting spray to a brush when you finish your foundation or concealer. Then brush it over the problem areas where you usually get unwelcome buildup for extra hold in those areas.
- Spray any of the mentioned types of setting sprays over powdery foundation or finishing powder. This will help banish any cakey or powdery finish, and your makeup will look impeccable!
Top 5 Setting Sprays on the Market
So there are a lot of different opinions about the best products on the market. I did a bunch of research and wanted to share a few of the top products I found. These aren’t just products that make it on every blogs top list. I sorted through a bunch of setting spray reviews from regular beauty bloggers/vloggers who give honest opinions. The thing I liked about them was the fact that they did wear tests to show how well the products really worked for them. After all the research I found a few products you may not have heard of until now!
Makeup Forever is an excellent product that a lot of people haven’t heard of. Makeup forever setting spray is alcohol-free and perfect for dry skin. This product will refresh your look if you tend to have cakey makeup. Also helping to hydrate and renew your skin. It may not be the best option for oily skin types. If you have dry skin, this could be a fantastic option for you, but keep in mind that it comes with a bit of a hefty price tag. While I usually don’t like to recommend expensive products, I overlooked that in this case. Mainly, because I only heard great things about Makeup Forever!
Here we have another great option for dry skin. Cover FX is also alcohol-free and will help replenish and rehydrate your skin. It will work best for dry/combination skin types. I would try this because I have very dry skin in the wintertime. Cover FX is highly recommended by a lot of customers, despite having a higher price tag as well. But when a product is this good, most people don’t mind spending the extra money!
No products found.
Some setting spray reviews claimed that this was one of the best Ulta products. I don’t personally know if that’s true. But considering how highly recommended it is, I’m starting to believe it! I provided the link above to their website if you would like to check out a twin pack for a fantastic price. Urban Decay is a well-known brand and this a great setting spray for oily skin! So if the previous products didn’t fit your skin type, this might be the perfect alternative!
- 118ml / 4oz
- Makeup setting spray that hold your make up all night long .
Not many people have tried this setting spray, but maybe they should! This is a waterproof makeup spray for all skin types. After checking out a setting spray review featuring this product, I have to say, it really works! It will keep your makeup in place perfectly, as long as you don’t wipe or rub your face. To be honest, if you do that, nothing will keep your makeup in place.
Now, this is a setting spray you may have seen in around. A lot of customers adore this product and say it is the best drugstore makeup setting spray out there! I haven’t tried it personally, so I can’t confirm that. However, I love NYX products. And considering how widely recommended this one is, I think it’s safe to say that this drugstore setting spray is worth a try, especially because it is so affordable!
- Matte Setting Spray: For a matte makeup look that stays put, use our lightweight...
- Lock In Your Look: Get a smooth, long lasting finish for your makeup with this...
- Face From Foundation To Finish: Complete your makeup look with our full line of...
Time to Spray and Stay Flawless!
I hope all this information helps you get the most out of your makeup routine! Setting spray is something I think everyone needs if they love doing their makeup. Finding the perfect one for your skin is essential, so I hope the recommendations are helpful. There are so many setting sprays, so I recommend getting out there and finding the right one for you. That way you will keep your gorgeous makeup looking fresh throughout the day!
Last update on 2023-04-18 at 02:11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API