Who doesn’t know what hairspray does? It is such a popular hair styling product that musicals have been named after it. But not many people know that this amazing product firstly became popular back in the 1950s and the early 1960s. At the time, the fashionable hairstyles required its massive use because they needed to be sleek and clean. Back then, aerosol hairsprays were the most popular after first being developed to use with insecticides during World War II. A bit later, the hair care industry adopted this modality.
By the 1960s, hairspray became so popular that certain fashionable hairstyles would have been impossible to achieve without its use. First lady Jacqueline Kennedy also played a big role in the popularization of hairspray. After taking a break for 20 years, a period during which more natural hairstyles were in trend and experts began outlawing some chemicals in the aerosol hairsprays, in the 1980s, this hair styling product came back in style. And people never stopped using it. Nowadays, hairspray is an essential part of any hairstyle that someone might want to achieve to impress. When sprayed on the hair, hairspray essentially forms a shell that keeps the strands of hair from falling out of place and therefore maintain the desired shape. And because its popularity never decreased since the ‘80s, in this article, we will talk about the best hairspray options for2018 that you will surely want to try.
Top 10 Hairspray Options for 2018
In the chart below, you will find my top 10 rated hairspray options. For a more in-depth review of each type, please click on the Read Review link.
Best Types of Hairspray
When it comes to choosing the best hairspray for your type of hair, things can get a little complicated. There area lot of things to take into account if you want to achieve the desired look after using this product, especially if you’ve never tried it before. Do you want more volume? Do you want shiny hair? Or maybe you simply want to keep your hair in place for a few hours and not get bothered by it. You also need to know that hairspray is usually made of some long, chain-like molecules that are called polymers. They are the main factors that add volume and structural support to your hair to keep it in place. So, it’s important to weigh your options wisely and choose the best type for you.
Type 1: Finishing Hairspray
Finishing hairsprays, as the name suggests, should be the very last thing that you apply to your hair before going out. Their purpose is to hold your hair in place. So, because of this, finishing hairsprays usually have a very firm hold. They also come in a few varieties, from those that add shine, to those that make your hair matte. It’s all a matter of preference and how you want your hair to look throughout the entire day.
- plus It keeps your hairstyle in place for the entire day
- plus It can add a nice finish to your hairstyle
- plus It’s very easy to apply
- close The hard-hold might be too much for some people
- close It can feel heavy on the hair
- close It can sometimes leave some residue
Type 2: Volumizing Hairspray
The volumizing hairspray, or thickening hairspray, offers all the benefits of a regular hairspray while also adding some volume and texture to your hair. After applying it, your hair will look not only thicker but also a lot fuller than it normally would have looked without this product. Moreover, there are some types of volumizing hairsprays that can be sprayed only to the roots and it will lift them, therefore adding some more volume to your hair.
- plus Works best on fine and dull hair
- plus Can only lift the roots for some extra-volume
- plus Also adds thickness and fullness
- close Might not have that strong of a hold
- close Not suited for already thick and full hair
- close Some people might not like its finish
Type 3: Shaping Hairspray
Shaping hairspray is a lot more flexible than the other types of hairspray. Its most important trait is that it allows you to brush your hair after applying it. If you choose this particular type, apart from being held in place, your hair will also have that natural bounce and will move freely. Shaping hairspray offers the most natural look out of all the types of hairsprays. It must also be used at the very end after you have already styled your hair the way you wanted it.
- plus Offers the most natural look of all hairsprays
- plus Leaves the hair bouncy and free to move
- plus It’s very lightweight and doesn’t feel heavy
- close It may not offer the desired hold
- close Might feel too lightweight for some people
- close Not suited for thin and straight hair
Common Features of Hairspray
Hairspray is one of those products that come once every few years and completely revolutionize the world of hairstyling or haircare. Moreover, it should be added that apart from keeping your hair in place, hairsprays have acquired a lot of other features too. It’s very important to know all of this product’s common features before trying it out on your hair for the first time. In order to help you, we have created a list of some of the most important common features of hairspray that you should know about.
- check-circle-o Holds your hair in place- Most people prefer to use hairspray over hair gels, mousses or creams and this is mostly because of its water-free and humidity-resistant flexible control over the hairstyle. After applying this product all over your hair (or just at the roots, depending on its type, as we’ve previously said), you will end up with a strong hold which will last for a few hours and in some cases, even for the entire day. Hairspray is indeed a wonderful product for complex hairstyles that require a lot of effort to create and which need to keep their shape for a longer period.
- check-circle-o Helps with hairstyling– Hairspray can also be applied as you create your hairstyle, on every lock of hair, even if they’re wet. So, brushing some hairspray through your hair and immediately bringing it into the desired position will make styling your hair a lot easier. Most types of hairspray dry quickly so you won’t need to worry about the strands of hair falling out of place. This is yet another important common feature that some hairsprays have, and which makes this product so amazing and useful.
- check-circle-o Adds more volume and thickness– Want more volume to your possibly dull hair? No worries! Hairspray can do that too! However, in order to make sure that you will get the desired volume, you should make sure that you hold your head upside down, shake it, and then throw it back up again. After this, you should gently lift your hair strands and apply hairspray underneath them. This way, the hair will be lifted off your scalp, and this will provide a lot more volume and fullness than your hair normally has.
Things To Consider Before Buying The Best Hairspray On The Market
We’ve previously said that there are a lot of hairspray types out there that you can choose from. However, before doing so, you should take into account a few more things. Firstly, you should know from the get-go that not all formulas are good for your hair. They will not suit you, and it’s important to acknowledge that it might not be the product’s fault, but yours. It may simply not be suited for you. Apart from this, it’s crucial to know precisely what you want from a hairspray when you decide to buy one. Because of this, we have made a list of some of the most important things to consider before buying a hairspray that is on the market right now.
1. What precisely do you want from a hairspray?
This is undoubtedly the most important question that you should ask yourself before deciding on a specific hairspray. As you probably know by now, there are a lot of different types of hairspray that are destined for specific purposes. So, are you one of those people who only need their hair to stay in one place throughout the day? Are you in desperate need of more volume, thickness or texture? Do you want some help in styling your hair and making this process easier? Or maybe do you want your hair to look shiny or matter after applying hairspray. There are all questions that you need to find answers to in order to make sure that you are choosing the best option for your specific needs.
2. What about your hair type?
Another very important factor to take into account when choosing a hairspray for you is your hair type. While hairspray usually works on all hair types, there are some things that you need to be aware of. For example, you won’t need to use a thickening and volumizing hairspray if you already have thick hair that has volume. This type was specially designed mostly for dull and fine hair. Then, if your hair lacks shine, don’t use a product that will leave your hair looking matte. Finally, don’t use a very strong hairspray if you want loose and relaxed curls because they will look stiff.
3. Do you have any health issues?
Normally, hairspray is not a dangerous product. However, as it’s the case with absolutely any cosmetic product out there, there are some people who might not be able to use it for one reason or another. So, if your scalp becomes itchy after using a certain type of hairspray, stop using it immediately. The same if you develop respiratory problems or asthma. Moreover, even if you don’t develop these symptoms, it’s important to regularly wash and condition your hair in order to get rid of the hairspray in it. If you don’t do this, your hair will look worse than before, duller and unhealthy. Hairspray is an amazing product if used moderately and with caution. It’s important to take this into consideration!
Questions To Ask Yourself Before Buying Hairspray
You should now know more about some of the most important uses of hairspray, as we have already covered some of them. However, this doesn’t mean that people have made up their mind about this popular hair styling product. Moreover, if you feel like you still have unanswered questions, don’t worry! You are probably not the only one. It’s also important to be aware of the fact that if the past bad reputation of this product came from the formulas of hairspray that were clogging the hair, you should not worry about this happening now. The formulas on the market nowadays are a lot more lightweight, hair-friendly and non-toxic. So, if you are one of these people who has used hairspray in the past and did not like it, you may want to give it one more chance.
Q: Will hairspray still be effective after using it frequently?
A: Yes, hairspray will always be effective, no matter how many times you have used it. This is because, unlike other products that make our skin or hair adapt to it, hairspray is washed off. Your hair and scalp will not get used to this product, no matter how often you use it. However, there is something that you need to be careful about! Make sure to not apply layer after layer of hairspray without washing your hair. This will badly affect your hair and scalp and will make it look worse. Preferably, you need to wash and condition your hair every time you use this product to make sure that your hair stays healthy.
Q: How is hairspray better than hair gels or cremes?
A: With their new lightweight formulas, hairsprays have become a lot more popular and commonly-used than other hair styling product like cremes or gels. This is mostly because both cremes and gels have a heavier texture that can sometimes make the strands of hair heavy and in time, the hairstyle can become dull. They are also a lot messier when it comes to applying them than hairspray. Apart from this, they don’t offer the same variety of benefits as hairspray which can also add extra volume, thickness, texture, can help with styling and can add shine or mattify your hair. So, if you want to benefit from everything that hairspray has to offer, you should choose the best type for you and go for it without hesitation. You won’t regret it!
Q: What are the dangers of using hairspray?
A: As it is the case with any other product, hairspray comes with its fair share of risks. It’s worth noting that before the 1970s, hairspray contained a chemical called vinyl chloride, which was linked to increased cancer risk. Thankfully, modern hairsprays no longer contain it. The same happened to its successor, methylene chloride, which was also recalled for health risks. The general idea is that the ingredients now present in hairspray do not pose health risks for people. However, some side effects can still happen because not everyone tolerates all the ingredients in this product. These include an itchy scalp, irritation of the eyes, skin, and lungs along with some respiratory problems or asthma. Its also mandatory to keep a hairspray can away from any heat sources or open fire because it can blow up causing serious injuries.
Why is Hairspray Awesome?
There are a lot of reasons why hairspray is such an awesome, valuable and popular product. We have already covered its benefits and most common uses in this article, but we will also discuss some of the reasons why you should indeed start using it. Hairspray was once popular, still is, and most likely will continue to be until something better comes along. For now, there are a lot of brands that have come up with their own hairspray alternatives, eachone claiming to be the best on the market right now. This is why we have made a list of some of the most important reasons why hairspray is awesome and valuable.
It’s very easy to use
Hairspray is so awesome mostly because it is so easy to use and helps you achieve a complex or relaxed hairstyle in no time. Simply spray it on your hair to make it stay in one place or to offer it some extra volume, thickness or even texture in some cases. Want some shine in your locks? Spray some hairspray! Want a matte look? Also hairspray. Are rebel strands bothering you? You know the answer. This seems to be the way when it comes to any hair issue that you might have.
Everyone can use it
Apart from the fact that it is extremely easy to use, hairspray is also for everyone who doesn’t display adverse reactions to it. Women are no longer the only target for hair styling products. Men can also use hairspray without any problems at all. In moderate quantities, your child can also use it if they want a more sophisticated look for their prom or a birthday party. There are simply no limitations when it comes to this amazing and very popular hairstyling product.
You have many options to choose from
Last but not least, hairspray is awesome because you can choose from a wide variety of brands and types that are now on the market. You can buy everything from volumizing, shaping or finishing hairspray to scented ones. From expensive to cheaper alternatives, and from famous brands to unknown ones. It’s all a matter of preference and necessity after all. We are not the same, and neither should be our hairspray.
Recommended Best Sellers
- Humidity-Resistant Hairspray: Lock It Bold Control Anti-Humidity Hairspray goes...
- Fine Mist, Strong Hold: Bold Control hair spray goes on in a light fine mist for...
- How will you style it: Whether your style is curly, wavy or straight, this...
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken (Actors)
- Adam Shankman (Director) - Leslie Dixon (Writer) - Neil Meron (Producer)
- You will receive three 10 ounce cans of hairspray
- PERFECT FOR all hair types
- USE IT TO give hair extreme all day hold
Before reaching the end of our article on the best hairspray options for this year, we have some remaining questions that we need to address first. And seeing how people have similar curiosities, it’s normal for us to try and provide a suitable answer. Therefore, here is a list of some of the most common questions regarding this very popular product that is hairspray.
- chevron-circle-right Q: Does hairspray damage my hair?
- chevron-circle-rightA: Normally, none of the ingredients present in its composition are known to damage the hair. So, hairspray itself should not do any damage to your hair or health, but it’s probably better to avoid those that contain ethanol, or any other kind of alcohol because they can irritate you. Other than that, make sure to brush your hair gently to avoid breaking it, and to not let the hairspray buildup. You should wash and condition your hair each time you use hairspray in order to make sure that you are protecting and keeping it healthy.
- chevron-circle-right Q: What happens if I accidentally inhale hairspray?
- chevron-circle-rightA: Everyone inhales small amounts of hairspray when they are spraying it on their hair. This usually doesn’t affect you in any way. However, inhaling very large amounts of hairspray can have serious side effects like nausea, vomiting, headache and slurred speech. This shouldn’t happen if you accidentally inhale just a little bit. However, intentionally inhaling very large amounts (like an entire bottle) will cause very dangerous side effects and in extreme cases, even death.
Finally, this was our article on the best hairspray options for 2018. This hair styling product has been one ofthe most popular since the 1960s and its popularity is still as strong as ever nowadays. Especially with these new and lightweight formulas that are easier to use and do not affect the hair or the health in any way. As for its benefits and uses, there are so many of them that it becomes clear why so many people use it. Hairsprays nowadays do not only keep your hair in place, but they provide a boost of volume, offer thickness and texture, and even make your hair shine. It is very helpful when it comes to styling your hair in various ways and itis especially useful for complex and time-consuming hairstyles.
Sure, there are certain drawbacks to some types of hairspray, but this applies to every product out there. Actually, sometimes, it may not even be the product that’s to blame, but your lack of attention when choosing the right type for you. So, what did you think about our article on the best hairspray options on the market right now? Did you find it useful? Don’t forget to leave your questions down below if we failed to answer them.
- chevron-circle-right Hairsprays that will not leave your hair crunchy
- chevron-circle-right What you don’t know about hairspray
- chevron-circle-right Strongest hairsprays out there
Last update on 2022-05-23 at 13:23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API