When you are 25, you may think that your adolescent pimples and face skin problems will go away with age. In many of my friends and colleagues, things happened exactly like this. Age made acne and blackheads go away. However, I live the paradox of having combination skin and wear all the signs of puberty on my face.
Combination skin is a huge problem, if you ask me. Half of your face is oily and prone to acne, pimples, and blackheads, while the other half is dry, sensitive, itchy, and prone to redness and winter itch. For this reason, I tried and tested many cosmetic and dermatological products. Some worked better than others did. My entire family knows about my struggles with oily skin and winter-damaged skin all in the same time. My close friends and co-workers also know about it.
This is how I received the SheaMoisture African Black Soap Facial Care Kit. With the holidays approaching, my friends bought me this facial care set. They labeled it one of the best winter skin care products on the market. They also promised me it would help me with my endless fight against zits and pimples. Overall, it seemed that this set was the miracle I had been waiting for my entire life. It promised to care for my face all year long.
I started using the kit right after I received the nice gift. I appreciated it for containing natural and organic ingredients. I also believed it would cover all my face issues, since the set came with four different products. This is my third week of use and I think I can now offer an objective opinion about the set in its entirety.
Before we start, however, I want to tell you a few things about the kit, so you know what to expect.
Things to Consider before Buying the SheaMoisture African Black Soap Facial Care Kit
As a woman with combination skin, I will say only this: some parts of my face are prone to acne, blackheads, and pimples (the oily side of my face), while the dry and sensitive areas of my face are prone to cracking, itching, hurting, and getting all red and puffy. Winter is a nightmare for me, although my face does not like summer much either.
If you want to buy this set for yourself, a sister, a mother, or a friend, I think you should know the following things about the set in its entirety.
- Possible side effects: The label on this product says that all ingredients are natural and organic. Therefore, they should work great on sensitive skin and cause you no side effects. However, I noticed that the scrub does cause minor skin outbreaks when I use it. This is why I used it only once a week. This happened probably because of my combination skin. It does not mean it will also happen to you as well.
- Efficiency: Each of the products in the set works pretty well. The set contains a facial wash & scrub, a face & body soap bar, a facial mask, and a skin moisturizer. I am very happy with the soap and the moisturizer. I am not that happy with the scrub and face mask. They should cover all my skin problems all year long – in theory. But in practice, the scrub causes me some little breakouts, while the mask is rather thin and does not remove pimples and blackheads as it promised. On the other hand, the overall effect is pleasant. I did get moisturized and hydrated skin. I also got a boost in skin smoothness and softness (on my face, hands, and body) due to the soap bar. The moisturizer cream, while thick in texture, does not clog the pores and does not leave a layer of lard on my skin. A few drops in temperature did not cause me any skin problems since I started using this product.
- Type of skin: I am not sure what the proper type of skin is that requires the use of this entire set. I think my combination skin is a problem in itself, hence, the poor results I got with the scrub.
- Multiple purposes and benefits: I used the bar soap for my face, body, and hands and it was amazing. I also used the moisturizing cream for my hands (and feet once) and I got smooth, soft, nourished, and healthy skin.
- Scent: Each product comes with its own scent. The problem is that they do not actually smell like African Black Soap or Shea butter for that matter – and I know how both these things smell because I use them separately. Overall, the scent is not great. Moreover, if this set was indeed a winter skin care product, I expected to smell a bit of Christmas cheer in it, which I did not.
- Expiration date: Never put on your face a product that went past its expiration date, no matter how natural or even organic it is.
Who Should Buy This Winter Skin Care Products Set
I think this product addresses young and adult people with normal/dry/oily skin that suffer from mild skin issues. The labels on each product in the set state that they are dedicated to problematic skin, but as one person with problematic skin, I say I had better products to use.
No products found.
Who Should Not Buy This Winter Skin Care Products Set
People with serious skin issues, who suffer deeply of winter itch or dermatological problems. People who need medicated or at least doctor-recommended lotions, creams, and serums.
SheaMoisture African Black Soap Facial Care Kit
This SheaMoisture African Black Soap Facial Care Kit comes with four products in the package:
- Acne Prone Face & Body Soap Bar: A gentle cleanser that eliminates impurities and toxins to refresh your skin. It reduces dark spots and leaves smooth, even toned skin with every wash.
- Skin Moisturizer Cream: It helps you get soft, supple, glowing skin with every use.
- Facial Wash & Scrub: This should exfoliate your skin, reduce the size of pores and leave you with even toned and glowing skin.
- Facial Mask: This should draw out skin impurities and detoxify winter-irritated skin to make it soft and supple.
For the purpose of this article, my review encompasses my opinion on the entire set as a whole. The products should work together, building on each other’s features and results. Unfortunately, I found that only two out of four products work exactly as advertised. Nevertheless, let me share with you the pros and cons I discovered while using this set.
- Works well against winter itch and combination skin related problems
- Contains natural ingredients to nourish your skin
- It is affordable
- Not all components work that well
- You may not like all the scents
- May cause some side effects
SheaMoisture African Black Soap Facial Care Kit Features and Benefits
I started using this product three weeks ago on an almost daily basis (the soap and the moisturizer). I used the scrub only once a week and the mask twice a week. This is not a bad investment after all, and now I am going to lay down the features and benefits as I see them.
- Great for the dry/normal skin areas on your face. While the scrub led to some new breakouts on the oily side of the face, the other items cared well for my dry skin – the portions also suffering from winter itch.
- The formula comes with natural ingredients. The items in the set contain tamarind and tea tree oil (this latter ingredient may be the one causing the products to smell funny). On the other hand, the manufacturer says their products contain no sulfates and no parabens. I tend to believe them, as none of the items caused me skin reactions. The few breakouts I had after I used the scrub may have a connection to my oily skin.
- No animal cruelty. I think my furry canine friend Oy would never forgive me for using any cosmetic product that was ever tested on another animal. I would never forgive myself and the friends who bought this set for me also know I am a vocal believer in animal testing banning.
- The manufacturer is in the USA. I also favor local entrepreneurs, so this is a plus point for me.
As I said, I received this set from my friends, as an early holiday’s gift. After using it for two weeks, I followed my curiosity and started to read other reviews regarding this product. I think now that most people sharing the experience with this product are right: some items in the pack work better than others, but it all may depend on our specific type of skin and severity of skin problems. However, when you look up a product online, you are bound to find other similar products that catch your attention. In all fairness, it seems that other winter skin care products work even better than this one.
Alternatives to the SheaMoisture African Black Soap Facial Care Kit
Now that I became curious about other similar products, I did my homework. Therefore, here are my three alternatives to the SheaMoisture African Black Soap Facial Care Kit
This is full set of winter skin care products that seems to contain natural ingredients. It has positive reviews and it caught my attention because it seems to have a special formula for young skin.
Who Should Use this Set
Young women with sensitive skin, combination skin, and accentuated skin problems.
SheaMoisture vs. Natural Beauty Limited Set Comparison
- Natural Beauty Limited set comes with three products;
- The Shea Moisture pack is cheaper;
- Natural Beauty Limited items in the set have amazing scents;
- Shea Moisture may lead to some skin side effects;
- You may not like the Shea Moisture scents.
If you want an alternative to the natural SheaMoisture winter skin care set, check out the Natural Beauty Limited Oxygen Skincare Young Skin Starter Set as well! You may like it even better.
This product is a standalone winter cream that comes with ravishing positive reviews and a best-seller label. This also works great for all types of skin, but doctors recommend it for extremely sensitive skin and to all people facing skin issues.
Who Should Use this Winter Cream
People who have very dry and sensitive skin that suffers a lot in winter; people who also have dermatological problems; people who want a multi-purpose cream.
SheaMoisture Set vs. Vanicream Comparison
- Vanicream is a skin cream coming with pump dispenser;
- Vanicream is free of dyes, fragrance, lanolin, parabens and formaldehyde;
- You can use Vanicream as night cream and as a daily moisturizing cream for face, hands, and body;
- Vanicream comes with a seal of acceptance from the National Eczema Association;
- Vanicream is cheaper.
This is an amazing alternative for all people to get excellent winter care to treat dermatological problems and keep their faces, hands, and bodies healthy all year long. While it does not come with extra items, such as soaps and face masks, this cream may be what you look for in safe, reliable, and efficient skin treatments. You can try Vanicream and decide for yourself!
As far as best winter skin care products go, this set of Olay body wash products deserve their place on this list. They are not beauty sets or dermatological treatments, but self-care and self-pampering winter delights that nourish and protect the skin. In truth, you can use a body wash on your face as well and consider you got a gentle winter care face wash as well.
Who Should Use this Winter Skin Care Set
People who want nourished smooth, healthy skin with the help of a gentle body wash that moisturizes and hydrates deeply all year long.
SheaMoisture Set vs. Olay Body Wash Comparison
- Olay products are body washes for cleansing the face and body;
- Olay also contains shea butter;
- Olay works very well for mature dry skin suffering from winter itch and dehydration.
- Olay offers long-lasting moisture to help treat dryness at the source;
- The full Olay pack is cheaper.
If you feel you want to start your winter skin care in the shower (and maybe continue it with other winter skin care products), then the Olay Shea Butter Body Wash is a great deal for the entire family to enjoy.
No products found.
I truly wanted it to work as advertised and thus make my friends happy for giving it to me, and make myself happy for finally getting a full-face care set. Unfortunately, the items in the set did not work for me, as they should have. While I am extremely pleased with the soap and moisturizer, I found the mask to be too thin to work well and the scrub to be… unfit for my face, I guess.
I consider this set to be valuable for women with different types of skin and I think the set might work for men as well. I was disappointed with the products’ scents, and I think other reviewers mentioned this issue. The products do not smell nice and they do not smell the same, even if they are supposed to contain the same ingredients. I know tea tree oil isn’t the greatest scent in the world, but these items should have had a more pleasant scent nonetheless.
In conclusion, if you want a good skin care set to use all year long, then the SheaMoisture African Black Soap Facial Care Kit may be a good beginning! This is not the winner of the best winter skin care products competition, but it may work better for you than it did for me. The price is just right so you can try this without being sorry for the investment.
- chevron-circle-right See the best winter skin care products according to Amazon reviews
- chevron-circle-rightNatural Beauty Limited Oxygen Skincare Young Skin Starter Set Review
- chevron-circle-rightVanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream Review
- chevron-circle-rightOlay Body Ultra Moisture Body Wash Review
- chevron-circle-rightDove Body Wash Winter Care Review
- chevron-circle-rightCeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion Review
- chevron-circle-rightCicaplast Multi-Purpose Balm Cream Review
- chevron-circle-rightOleavine Therapeutic Balm Review
- chevron-circle-rightHoneyskin Organics Organic Moisturizer Cream Review
- chevron-circle-right Good on Ya Manuka Honey Face Moisturizer Review
- chevron-circle-rightSheaMoisture African Black Soap Facial Care Kit Review
Last update on 2021-12-02 at 11:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API