The seasonal color analysis might seem a bit difficult to understand. But you don’t have to worry because once you get the hang of it, you can easily determine which colors suits you best in each of the four seasons. In this post, we will teach you how to perform your seasonal color analysis in just a few simple and quick steps.
How to Perform a Seasonal Color Analysis – Main Steps
#1. Are You a Warm or Cool Type?
This is the first step of a seasonal color analysis which is also the hardest one. During it, you must look beyond your external layer or overtone, to discover your look’s undertone. This is what gives your appearance its definition, and it is created by carotene, hemoglobin, and melanin. Unlike overtones which change due to illnesses, sun exposure, or blood pressure, undertones will always remain the same. They are given by genetics.
There are three main tests you can use to determine your undertone:
- Foundation test. This is the easiest one, and it provides accurate results. Apply a small amount of cream foundation on one of your cheeks. Choose a pink based one. Then, on the other cheek, you should apply a yellow-based Massage both of them gently until they are absorbed into the skin, forming an even layer. The one that blends better is your type. Obviously, pink means cool, and yellow is warm.
- Silver/Gold test. Place your right hand on a silver-colored fabric and the other hand on a gold-colored material. Your hands should be placed in such a way that you can see their parts which are less exposed to sunlight. Observe which fabric blends better with your skin. It must look even. Gold stands for warm, while silver means cool.
- Vein test. This is another very simple test. All you have to do is to look at your veins and see if they are green or blue. Make sure to position yourself in such a way that your hands will benefit from natural light. Green is warm, while blue means cool.
After this first step, you will determine the following things:
- Cool undertone – winter or summer type.
- Warm undertone – autumn or spring type.
#2. Are You a Light or Dark Type?
This is when you need to define your natural hair color as well as your eyes. If you have a cool undertone, and your eyes and hair are dark, then you are a winter type. Light hair and eyes for the cool undertones lead to a summer type. For those of you that got warm undertone at the first step of the seasonal color analysis, dark eyes and hair mean autumn type, while light features mean spring type.
#3. Extra Tips for All Types
- Black works for all types, making them slimmer. On the other hand, black and white are recommended only for winter types.
- Dark colors create a powerful look, and they give you a sense of authority. Even if you don’t like black, you can still wear darker shades such as navy blue, dark brown, or dark gray.
- If you don’t want an aggressive look, avoid using strong Instead, use harmonizing colors.
A seasonal color analysis can help you discover which colors suit you best regarding clothing and accessories. According to the above-detailed test, the conclusions for each type are the following ones:
- Winter type – sharp and clear colors such as navy blue, white, black, pink, and red.
- Summer type – soft neutrals and pastels like powder pink, lavender, and soft
- Autumn type – golden undertones such as beige, dark brown, and orange.
- Spring type – warm colors such as peach, yellow, camel.
Image source: 1