Gradient nails are extremely in right now and you might see this type of manicure everywhere you go. It is present from runways, to red carpets and on the streets. It’s a versatile and wearable alternative to a simple, one color nail polish applied onto the nails. And while it may look a bit difficult to make, that is not at all the case. You absolutely don’t need to visit a nail salon to get this type of manicure, because you can easily achieve it at home. This is also the focus of our article, a guide on how to do gradient nails at home without much effort and with only some simple and easy to find tools.
Gradient nails designs, not to be confused with ombre nails (which only feature different shades of the same color), can be done in absolutely every color that you want. There are even nude gradient nails or gradient French manicure, which are more suited for a bride or a more serious event. Apart form this, you can always add glitter, sparkly and even metallic nail polishes into the mix to create a one of a kind manicure. All while keeping that gradient design that everyone is looking for today. And because we want to help you even more, we have also attached three of the best video tutorials on how to do gradient nails. Enjoy!
What you need
- Cotton buds
- Base coat
- Top coat
- Two nail polish colors
- Makeup sponge
- Nail polish remover
How to create gradient nails
1. The first thing that you want to do is start off with a clean base, preferably white. You can use any color, but the white will really make the colors that you will apply later pop. Youtuber Ane Li covers this part perfectly in her tutorial!
2. Take your clean makeup sponge and start painting strips of nail polish, one color after another, horizontally. Be careful to start at the base of your sponge so that you can align that with the base of your nail. You can sue two or three colors, it’s all up to you. You can even add in some metallic or glittery nail polish. Play with the design! You can watch Kelli Marissa’s tutorial to get some inspiration for your design. At the same time, YouTube channel “cutepolish” also has 5 alternatives for you to try out, and they explain how to get them done yourself!
3. Now, place the sponge over your nail but be careful to align it perfectly, the base with the base, and the top with the top. Move the sponge so that the colors are transferred onto your white nail. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect! At this stage, it never is!
4. Keep on doing this until you are happy with how your nail looks. Then, repeat the process on every other nail. The perfect amount is three layers of nail polish so that the design is really opaque.
5. Now, with your cotton pads dipped in nail polish remover you will want to remove any excess that’s on the skin, around the nails. Finally, apply a clear topcoat and your gradient nails are done and good for taking out into the world!
Summing it all up
So, what did you think about these tutorials and our guide on how to do gradient nails at home? Will you try doing this yourself, now that you know how it’s done? If yes, show us our results down below and tell us what you think!
Image source: pinterest