Nail fungus is a skin condition. It is also called onychomycosis and affects certain areas of the nail such as the plate, bed or even matrix. Besides pain and general discomfort, the fungus can get infected, which will interfere with your everyday activities. If you are wondering how to get rid of toenail fungus, search no more. We have the answer for you. We have come up with a list that includes both medical and natural treatments.
How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Fast
When it comes to how to get rid of toenail fungus, there are plenty of fast and effective treatments:
- Oral medication. Prescription pills are an effective treatment. Depending on how severe the problem is, your doctor will probably prescribe you medications such as Lamisil or Sporanox. You will have to be patient because the treatment might take longer than expected. Usually, you have to take these pills for a minimum of two or three months.
- Antifungal prescription solutions. In addition to pills, your doctor may recommend you to apply a solution like Ciclopirox or Jublia, directly on the affected area. These, combined with pills, might decrease the treatment’s period.
- Surgical treatment. More severe cases of fungus won’t just disappear with a pill or an ointment. Therefore, you will have to fix the problem with During the procedure, the infected nail will be partially or totally removed.
- Laser treatment. If you can afford it, laser treatments are highly effective and less painful than conventional surgery. One session is not enough to solve the problem, so you will be required to pay for more than just one treatment. Make sure you find the right doctor because this method is still experimental.
How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Naturally
If you are afraid of having surgery or if you don’t want to ingest the pills’ chemicals, there are also other alternatives. Natural homemade remedies don’t solve the problem as fast as a prescription medical treatment but, at least, they are totally risk-free.
- Tea tree oil. This is a great solution due to its antiseptic properties. Tea tree oil is beneficial for several skin conditions such as fungus, rashes, eczemas, and more.
- Baking soda. This is one of the simplest and cheapest toenail fungus treatments. Everybody has baking soda in their kitchens. It not only cures the fungus but it also eliminates the foot odor. All you have to do is to mix a small amount of baking soda with vinegar and water. Then, soak your feet in this solution.
- Coconut oil. The fatty acids from the coconut oil will fight against the fungus. You will only need a bit of coconut oil which you will apply directly to the affected area. Make sure to use gloves when you do this.
Whether you choose a medical treatment or a natural solution, you shouldn’t leave the infection untreated. This may cause complications. When it comes to how to get rid of toenail fungus, mild cases are treated with noninvasive procedures. If your case is a severe one, you might have to remove part of the nail through surgery.