Winter is here and people with dry skin have a hard time dealing with it. I for one get my face all red and itchy and my hands dry and cracked. It is not an amazing feeling, especially when you also have a vulnerability to acne or eczema. Keeping our skin hydrated and moisturized should not be a seasonal goal. People with dry skin and related skin problems have to protect and nourish their skin all year long.
In order to prevent my skin from getting hurt this year as well, I talked to my dermatologist, asking him for a face moisturizing lotion I could use on a daily basis. I do have plenty of creams and oils, serums and masks at home, but I wanted something coming with a medical recommendation behind. This is how I learned about the CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion – one of the best winter skin care products, according to my doctor.
I bought the CeraVe lotion as instructed and began using it the next day. The product promises that it helps repair damaged skin and maintains the skin's natural protective function with ingredients not commonly found in other moisturizers. Looking at the label, I found it comes with tested-and-true skin care ingredients and with a patented Multivesicular Emulsion [MVE] technology, which releases these ingredients over time, allowing them to penetrate deep into the skin to hydrate and nourish all day long.
I have used this lotion for about a month. Winter is tricky in these parts, as the sun shines, while the cold gets the worst out of you. This lotion was my go-to solution – I used it once before I left the house, and once in the evening after I came back home.
Before I share my full opinion with you regarding this product, I want to tell you a few things first.
Things to Consider before Buying the CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion
Dry skin with a tendency to eczema and even acne (which sounds a bit paradoxical but it is not) needs constant care. I use plenty of face washes, creams, lotions, and oils to keep my face clean, nourished, hydrated, and healthy, but some do not work that great for me. I mind the fragrant cosmetic products in general and I was looking for something to restore/repair my skin while boosting its looks and feel. This CeraVe lotion did its job great, especially since it also contains a SPF factor.
Before you jump at the opportunity to buy this product, however, make sure you consider these following things:
- Possible side effects: This lotion, for me, is great. I do not experience any side effects. On the contrary, my skin does not itch or get red, my face looks healthy, and some of my skin issue went away. Due to the hyaluronic acid in the lotion, I now have less fine lines, wrinkles, and dark circles underneath my eyes. Nevertheless, if you feel uncomfortable after using this lotion, discontinue its use immediately.
- Efficiency: This is where the ingredients and the formula of this lotion come into play. In less than two weeks, my face skin looked fresher and even younger. It did not suffer any winter itch and the SPF 30 sunscreen did a wonderful job at keeping my face safe during sunny winter days. The lotion contains some ingredients found in cosmetic products (hyaluronic acid, ceramides, niacinamide), which fulfill the purpose of hydration, moisturizing, collagen boosting, wrinkles fading, and so on.
- Type of skin: The product’s label says this lotion is suitable for all types of skin. While I do have dry skin, I find the formula to be light enough to work on other types of skin as well. Some people with very greasy skin, however, may find the lotion a bit too thick and not penetrating their skin well enough.
- Multiple purposes and benefits: I used the lotion on my hands as well and I think it works very well. No more skin cracks, redness, and discomfort after a full day outside (even if with gloves on).
- Scent: I am not a huge fan of scented creams and lotions for my acne/eczema prone face. This product, while it has a faint sunscreen scent, is not bothering.
- Make-up: Applying foundation after you treated your face with this lotion may get tricky and messy. They do not seem to work great together. I avoid foundation, but sometimes the situation requires a more composed and formal makeup. I suggest you try a few foundation types and brands to see which one works better with the lotion. Or, do not use the lotion if you need to wear foundation that day.
- Expiration date: Never put on your face, hands, or body a product that went past its expiration date, no matter how natural or dermatologically safe it is.
Who Should Buy This Winter Skin Care Product
People with all skin types who want good hydration and skin moisturizing, together with sunscreen protection all year long. People who want something more than a drugstore face lotion in winter because their dry, sensitive skin needs better dermatological intervention.
No products found.
Who Should Not Buy This Winter Skin Care Product
People who do not necessarily need medically recommended winter skin care products and who manage to go through winter with their regular beauty creams. People who do not have dermatological problems.
CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion
After a month of using CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion, my review of this product is positive. There are a few things I do not like about it, but overall, this product delivered on its promise of keeping my face safe in winter. The added face care ingredients also boosted the aspect of my face, not just its hydration level. I mostly appreciated the presence of sunscreen – a rare occurrence in ordinary face lotions. But let me sum up the pros and cons of this product as I see them:
CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion Features and Benefits
I started using this product a month ago, twice a day. Once in the morning before I left the house, and one time in the evening after a hot shower. I also used the lotion from time to time on my hands and arms (especially elbows) and neck. After this month of experimentation, here are the main features and benefits of this product I identified as being the most important:
- Great for dry, sensitive, problematic skin. As I said, after a few uses, you will feel your skin soft, elastic, moist, and healthy. No more winter itch, redness, discomfort, cracks, and acne or eczema onsets.
- Great cosmetic effects. Besides being a great moisturizer, the lotion also has evident cosmetic effects. The presence of hyaluronic acid made some of my fine lines, crows’ feet and expression wrinkles fade away.
- Perfect for all year skin care. I chose to buy this product for winter skin protection, but I will use it in the summer as well because it contains SPF 30 sunscreen.
The texture is great. If you use the lotion and do not exaggerate with the makeup afterwards, you will find that the lotion penetrates your skin without any feel of stickiness or greasiness. It may have been my personal foundation, but it seems the lotion and liquid foundation clash and make a mess on your face.
- The scent is faint and rapidly fades away.
- The formula comes with dermatologically friendly ingredients. This is a good thing for me, because I needed something more than just a cosmetic product.
- Comes with dermatological recommendations.
I bought this lotion because my dermatologist recommended it to me. I looked the product on the internet and found that many people started using it upon their doctors’ advice. Just like me, they were very happy with both the product and, subsequently, their doctors. When you research for a product online, you are bound to learn many other things about the product. Of course, not all people are happy with the same thing, but I was pleased to learn that this product has excellent reviews.
Alternatives to the CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion
As I said, when you look for the best skin care products online, you are open to an entire world of possibilities. This is how I learned about other similar products for winter. I will present them to you here in short, so you can make the best choice for you and your skin.
This is a full-body skin cream, which also comes with dermatological recommendations.
Who Should Use this Winter Cream
People with extremely dry skin and skin problems who want great winter protection at an affordable price.
Vanicream vs. CeraVe Lotion Comparison
- CeraVe cream is a face lotion only;
- CeraVe comes with SPF 30 sunscreen;
- Vanicream is free of dyes, fragrance, masking fragrance, lanolin, parabens and formaldehyde;
- Vanicream can be used for skin problems such as atopic dermatitis (eczema), psoriasis, ichthyosis, winter itch;
- CeraVe is more expensive.
If you want a doctor-recommended winter skin care product that works great and has ravishing reviews, you should try the Vanicream Skin Cream as well. It is also child friendly and the entire family can use it.
This is another entry on the list of best winter skin care products that people love. It is a balm for hands, face and body, coming with Shea Butter, glycerin and vitamin B 5.
Who Should Use this Winter Balm
People who have very dry and sensitive skin that suffers a lot in winter; people who also have dermatological problems; people who want a multi-purpose cream, which is family friendly.
Cicaplast Balm vs. CeraVe Lotion Comparison
- Both come with dermatologist recommendations;
- Cicaplast also comes with pediatric control and dermatological testing;
- Cicaplast is fragrance-free, paraben-free and suitable for sensitive skin;
- Cicaplast is a La Roche-Posay product;
- Cicaplast is cheaper.
This is an amazing alternative for all people to treat dermatological problems and keep their faces, hands, and bodies healthy all winter long. Cicaplast comes with a wide range of dermatological benefits for men, women, and children. If you want great skin care for the entire family – coming from a renowned brand – then the La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5 Multi-Purpose Balm should be on your wish list.
This is a very interesting product and I think it should be on this list. It contains plenty of natural ingredients and people say it works amazing for sensitive, dry, cracked skin. It is a full-body balm, recommended in the treatment of many dermatological problems.
Who Should Use this Winter Balm
People who want good winter skin care with the help of a product containing natural ingredients and added vitamins, essential oils, and herbal extracts.
Oleavine Balm vs. CeraVe Lotion Comparison
- Oleavine comes with added Omegas 3, 6, 7 & 9, Aloe Vera & natural Vitamin E;
- Oleavine helps with the treatment of athlete’s foot and ringworm;
- Oleavine helps soften calluses, dry, cracked, itchy, irritated skin on your body;
- Oleavine may cause side-effects and does not come with dermatologists’ recommendation;
- Oleavine is cheaper.
Oleavine is a full-body balm that may help alleviate and treat fungi and bacteria responsible for foot odor, athlete's foot, toenail & nail fungus, yeast, and other common foot and skin irritations. It also contains Omegas 3, 6, 7 & 9 and natural Vitamin E to help reduce the occurrence of redness, scaling, or eczema. If you want more than winter itch relief for your face, then you should try the Oleavine TheraTree Therapeutic Tea Tree Oil Balm as well!
No products found.
I loved many things about it, except for the price. You can get perfect full body winter skin protection and dermatological treatment at half the price and an efficient summer sunscreen face lotion or foundation with the other half of the price – and maybe save some money in the process as well. On the other hand, I found this face lotion to be very good when it comes to skin hydrating, moisturizing, protection, and cosmetic benefits, so the price is somehow justified.
I also enjoyed the lack of scent. In the case of a winter product, I know many people expect it to smell like Christmas, but when you have some acne or some eczema on your face, excess fragrance is not something to condone.
In conclusion, if you want great, healthy face skin all year long, with amazing beauty benefits, you should try the CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion! You will not regret your choice, especially if you have dry skin and winter itch is something you definitely want to avoid!