On our skin and nails, we have different bacteria and fungi types which are not usually dangerous. Our bodies need most of them to function properly. However, when some of these bacteria start to multiply uncontrollably, you might develop an infection. The Candida fungus represents a harmful organism. It creates a skin and nail condition called candidiasis. Let’s see how you can treat candidiasis of the skin and nails.
What Is Candidiasis of the Skin and Nail?
Although there are more than 150 Candida types, the one that causes infections is called Candida albicans. It grows in all the moist skin areas. The condition created by this fungus can vary from a mild infection to more serious issues that can only be treated by a physician. But what causes this health problem? There is a wide range of factors such as poor hygiene, tight clothing, antibiotics, dirty water, and humid weather.
How to Treat Candidiasis of the Skin and Nails?
- Make sure that your skin is dry at all times. This doesn’t mean it should not be moisturized or hydrated.
- Clean your skin every day.
- Don’t get in contact with people who suffer from different skin conditions that can be contagious.
- Always do your gardening chores with gloves on.
- Don’t share personal things such as socks, nail clippers or combs, with other people.
- Maintain a fit body to get rid of skin folds.
- Change out of sweaty workout clothes of swimsuits immediately after you finish your working out program.
- Use clean socks and undergarments.
- If you suffer from this skin and nail condition, don’t use scented soap on your affected areas.
- Include probiotics in your daily diet.
- Eat less sugar.
Mild cases of candidiasis of the skin and nails can be treated with homemade remedies and natural treatments. However, more severe cases require a doctor’s help and prescription. Usually, physicians will tell you to use special powders and creams that have antifungal properties. They can spot the spread of the infection and kill the fungus.
If the over-the-counter medication is not effective, you should consult a doctor and ask for his/her opinion. In cases in which the infection spreads inside your body, you will need to take oral antifungal treatments. Once you discover you have this skin and nails condition, you must take immediate measures to treat it. Otherwise, it might spread to your bloodstream.
The most commonly used medications and treatments are the following ones: fluconazole, miconazole, tioconazole, voriconazole, caspofungin, and micafungin.
Putting It All Together
We need to make sure that our body is always clean, especially moist areas, skin, and nails. Even though Candida occurs naturally in our organisms, and it is totally harmful, once it multiplies uncontrollably, it might cause infections. These issues can range from mild conditions to more severe ones. Follow our tips and guidelines to prevent and treat candidiasis of the skin and nails.
Image source: 1