Brushing your teeth should be a daily habit. Dentists recommend you to brush your teeth at least two times per day. However, we live busy, stressful lives, and we don’t pay the required attention to this process. At first, it seems easy, but there are some mistakes that most people do when cleaning their teeth. Being careful when doing this task is critical for a healthy and beautiful smile.
What to Do When You Brush Your Teeth?
- Choose products wisely. Everything matters, from the toothbrush type to what kind of toothpaste you use. Those who have tartar-control properties can be harsh for sensitive teeth. According to some specialists, the best pastes are those simple ones.
- How long you brush your teeth is important. Try to do it for at least 2 or 3 minutes every time. If you have an electric toothbrush, keeping track of your time will be easier. If your brushing is shorter than this, your teeth might not get as clean as they should be.
- Be careful with where you store your brushes. Most people keep their teeth cleaning tools in the bathroom above the sink. Well, that is not the best choice considering it might get germs from both the sink and the toilet. Instead, store them in a special holder.
- Use the proper brushing technique. The brush must be held at a 45-degree angle. This way, when you press it against your teeth, it will be placed in the right manner. Also, try to make small circles for every move you make with your brush on your teeth. It is an effective way to eliminate plaque.
- Don’t forget to replace your toothbrush. Brush your teeth as often as you can, but remember to buy a new toothbrush before the old one gets damaged. The perfect thing to do is to replace it every three months. This is made because the bristles wear down and the brush becomes less effective.
What to Avoid When You Brush Your Teeth?
- Don’t brush your teeth right after eating. You should wait around 30 minutes before brushing your teeth. All foods make your mouth bacteria produce acid. This makes the enamel weaker, but it is only temporary. Rinse your mouth with water before brushing your teeth.
- Don’t forget to clean all your mouth. You might brush your teeth, but if you don’t clean your tongue too, it might create further problems. Most cases of bad breath are caused by a dirty tongue.
- Don’t brush too hard. If you brush your teeth too hard and especially if you do it from one side to another, it can seriously affect your enamel. Pressing gently the brush against your teeth is enough to remove plaque and bacteria.
- Don’t share your brush with others. Being generous is a good thing but not when it comes to your oral health. You should have your own toothbrush, and you shouldn’t share it with anyone else, even if it’s about family members.
- Don’t forget to go to the dentist. You should schedule regular appointments to make sure your teeth stay healthy. Don’t wait until is too late to see a specialist.
You should brush your teeth three times per day, in a correct way. Most people clean their teeth superficially, and they wait until it’s too late before going to the dentist. I hope our lists of do’s and don’ts will be useful for you. If you apply them, you will avoid further health problems.