The popularity of almond butter has been substantially increasing over the past few months, and this is mainly due to its extraordinary health benefits. Apart from being full of protein, good fats and fiber, almond butter is also packed with magnesium, iron, antioxidants, and potassium. All of those elements are crucial for a healthy diet and lifestyle. They provide balance when it comes to the needs of your organism as well as offering you boosts of energy. Moreover, almond butter is a great alternative to the classic and very popular peanut butter. Recently, more and more people have developed allergies to peanuts. So, if you are one of them or have friends and family who are allergic to peanuts, a good almond butter is the way to go.
From now on, apart from being full of healthy ingredients, your snack break will also taste delicious. It’s also possible to eat almond butter in a variety of ways like on a multigrain toast or crisp apple slices, for a healthy and filling snack that will keep you full for a long time and offer you a lot of energy. Celery sticks are another healthy alternative when it comes to eating this creamy or crunchy almond butter. You can even find countless of recipes that will tell you how to incorporate this healthy butter into delicious meals and snacks. You can have it as a sweet relief, on oatmeal or ice cream, or as a savory snack, like an easy-to-eat wrap with greens.
Top 10 Almond Butter for 2018
In the chart below, you will find my top 10 rated almond butter. For a more in-depth review of each type, please click on the Read Review link.
Best Types of Almond Butter
Even if there are some different types of almond butter out there from a lot of different companies, their main ingredients are essentially the same. Most of them are very healthy if you want to follow that kind of diet and will keep you full for some good hours. Also, they all have that earthly almond taste that people love so much. Their color is almost the same along with a similar style of packaging. However, we will present you two of the main types of almond butter that you can buy and eat. After all, people have different tastes and it’s important for those to be satisfied. Also, you should be aware of the fact that any product has its drawbacks. We will present some of those too, in order to keep you informed and aware of what to expect when you decide to consume any type of almond butter.
Type 1: Raw Almond Butter
There are some people out there who prefer to follow a very healthy lifestyle and only choose to eat raw foods. If you happen to be one of them, then this specific type is for you. The raw almond butter is the perfect choice for the people looking for the most natural alternative when it comes to this type of spread. So, there is nothing keeping you from trying this type of almond butter, especially if you are one of those people.
- plus No added sugar or salt
- plus Has a very creamy taste
- plus Perfect to spread on toast or anything else
- close Not suited for people who don’t like that earthly taste
- close Not suited for people looking for a bit of flavor
- close Does not offer any kind of crunch
Type 2: Crunchy Almond Butter
For those people who love having a little bit of crunchy once in a while, this specific type of almond butter is for you. It has a thinner consistency than the classic peanut butter and it’s manufactured by roasting the almonds. This process really brings out that nutty and sweet flavor everyone is looking for in a high-quality almond butter.
- plus Very easy to spread
- plus Offers that amazing crunch many people love
- plus Has a sweet and nutty flavor
- close It has oil separation, which many people do not like
- close Not suited for people who don’t like dry roasted almonds
- close Not suited for people suffering from teeth problems
Common Features of Almond Butter
Almond butter is an overall healthier choice than the commercially produced roasted nut butter spreads like peanut butter. Nowadays, many people prefer it over the once-indispensable peanut butter. It is indeed a healthy and easy alternative when it comes to a healthy and fast snack. However, even if experts are recommending it, they are also advising people to consider moderate consumption. For example, people suffering from gall bladder or kidney issues might want to talk to a doctor before including almond butter in their diets. It contains oxalates which, in large quantities, can have serious effects on the body or can result in certain maladies.
- check-circle-o Good source of protein – Athletes and people who love to exercise can obtain their perfect amount of protein from almond butter. Because protein usually takes longer to digest, this type of food offers a great alternative because it can be digested more easily. As protein is crucial for tissue repair and regeneration, almond butter makes for the perfect choice
- check-circle-o Almonds are beneficial for your health – As previously stated, almonds are clearly the main ingredients of almond butter. Apart from being tasty and crunchy, experts have reached the conclusion that they can also prevent the development of cardiovascular diseases. This tree nut is low in saturated fat and high in unsaturated fat. This, along with its phytosterols and nutrients reduce the low-density lipoprotein cholesterol or the bad cholesterol levels.
- check-circle-o It positively affects insulin sensitivity – People suffering from prediabetes might do well to include almond butter in their diets because almonds have been found to influence insulin sensitivity in a good way.
- check-circle-o Good for weight loss – Also, if you want to lose some weight, almond butter might be for you. Experts are saying that eating nuts as part of an almond-enriched diet can help you lose some weight and manage it better.
Things to Consider Before Buying Almond Butter
As we previously stated, almond butter technically needs to contain only one ingredient: almonds. However, seeing how that can be pretty boring on your taste buds and extremely difficult to stir in a jar, food manufacturers nowadays add some extra ingredients in there. They add oils to make it more spreadable and sugar and salt to make it taste good or at least reasonable. The truth is that not everybody likes these nut butters. Sure, today, they are a lot healthier even with these added ingredients. They now contain coconut oil and natural flavors to make them so delicious you cannot resist them. So, all things considered, here are some important things to consider before buying the best almond butter on the market.
1. Do you want to use the protein for muscle building?
As you’ve probably heard before, almond butter packs a lot of protein in a jar. This is certainly a good thing, especially for athletes and people who like to exercise frequently and count their protein intake. However, what if you are not one of those people and would simply like to eat almond butter on toast for breakfast? Worry not! Seeing how experts recommend moderate consumption of almond butter, you are on the safe side here. There is nothing wrong with eating a small amount of almond butter just because you like it. Exercise is strongly recommended, but you don’t have to be a fitness junkie or athlete to consume this butter.
2. Are you a big fan of salt?
Because if you are not, you might want to look for almond butter without much sodium in it. Most of them usually contain a lot of salt because it provides a much better taste. Salt is not the enemy, but we need to be careful about how much we eat. For example, you should choose a type of almond butter that has under 100 milligrams of sodium per serving, which is two tablespoons. If you want to be even safer, you should choose the raw almond butter we’ve detailed above. Apart from this, if you prefer to do your own butter at home, you should simply choose pink salt in very small amounts because it still offers a little bit or flavor.
3. How about sugar?
Almond butter and nut butters in general have a lot of added sugars. Some of those include brown sugar, regular sugar, molasses, coconut sugar, maple syrup, honey, agave, and dextrose. Some might taste better than others, but at the same time, they are still added calories. Sugary almond butter contradicts its insulin sensitivity benefits. So, if you are not a big fan of added sugars even if it adds taste, you should go for types that have less added sugar or even better, for the raw type that has no sugar whatsoever. Of course, this is a problem that concerns the balance between taste and healthiness and it’s up to each person to decide what’s best for them.
Questions To Ask Yourself Before Buying Almond Butter
We have already talked about some of the most important things surrounding the use and benefits of almond butter. However, there are probably still some unanswered questions regarding this incredible butter that is so healthy and offers so many benefits for your health. Also, don’t think that you are the only one having so many questions! Almond butter is still a fairly new addition to the healthy diets all over the world so there are a few mysteries surrounding it. So, it’s important to know all the details before introducing it into your diet. Here is our list of some of the most important questions that you should ask yourself before buying almond butter.
Q: Why should I choose it? It is healthier than peanut butter?
A: This is a question that most people have when it comes to this battle between almond butter and peanut butter. When it comes to their macronutrients, they are almost identical. Peanut butter has a little bit more protein while almond butter has a little bit more fat. At the same time, almond butter is a bit higher in calories too. When it comes to vitamin and minerals, both are great, but almond butter has more calcium and iron, two very important nutrients people need in their diets. Then there’s the allergy issue. There are so many people allergic to peanuts that some schools have banned peanut butter at lunch. On the other hand, fewer people are allergic to almonds. Finally, when it comes to the environmental impact, peanut butter is the winner. It requires less water to grow them than to grow almonds. All in all, it is a draw between them and in the end, you might want to consider their taste as the main difference.
Q: Can I cook with almond butter?
A: If you are one of those people who like to cook and incorporate various ingredients into fascinating and tasty recipes, we have good news for you! You can integrate almond butter in a lot of recipes. You can make your own homemade almond butter ice cream or apple and almond butter soft pancakes. Apart from those you can try some granola bites and some healthy apple sandwiches. For savory snacks, you can cook some spinach and almond feta wraps or you can choose almond milk and use it in a variety of tasty combinations.
Why is Almond Butter Awesome?
There are a lot of reasons why almond butter is valuable and awesome. However, most of these reasons have to do with its amazing benefits on health for both normal people and professional athletes. As we’ve previously said, almond butter and peanut butter are almost identical when it comes to their benefits. So, there is no reason why you shouldn’t switch up your diet a bit and introduce this type of butter too. Here are some of the reasons why almond butter is awesome and valuable.
Magnesium and Vitamin E
Apart from the many other beneficial and healthy nutrients that almond butter has, magnesium and Vitamin E are some of the most important ingredients for your health. Magnesium helps strengthen the health of your bones, much like calcium does. Moreover, it synthesizes fatty acids and helps you produce more energy. It’s important for you to know that one serving of almond butter (about two teaspoons), offers you 89milligrams of magnesium. This is 21% of the daily recommended intake for men and 28% for women. As for Vitamin E, it helps to reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease.
Copper and Calcium
Calcium and copper are also two of the most important ingredients that you can find in almond butter. Those minerals are very important when it comes to brain cell communication. Calcium is famous for keeping your bones strong and it also helps your muscle function. When it comes to copper, this is very important because it helps you produce melanin. This pigment protects your skin from the damaging rays of the sun.
Fiber and Healthy Fats
Some of the most important benefits of almond butter are the cardiovascular ones. Fiber and fats are responsible for this. These unsaturated fatty acids help improve your blood cholesterol levels. This process provides energy and helps combat cardiovascular disease. According to experts, fiber consumption can reduce the risk of developing coronary heart disease by up to one-third.
You Need to Know What to Chose
Finally, the benefits of almond butter are huge, but you also need to know what type of almond butter is best suited for you and your needs. You should really check the nutrition label and make sure that almonds and salt (but not too much) are its main ingredients. We strongly advise you to stay away from almond butter that has hydrogenated fats, sugar, or other additives. Once you’ve made sure that what you’re eating is safe, you can serve it in a variety of ways. From interesting and tasty recipes to smoothies, on toast or your breakfast oatmeal.
Recommended Best Sellers
- Includes one 12 oz jar of MaraNatha Creamy Almond Butter, No Salt or Sugar Added
- Gluten Free
- 100% California Almonds
- Extra Room To Stir
- No Sugar Or Salt Added
- KS Almond Butter is just roasted almonds - a perfect addition to your everyday...
- The almonds are carefully roasted and then ground into a sweet creamy spread....
- Kosher || Must-stir product || Oil separation occurs naturally || Refrigerate...
Before our article on almond butter reaches an end, there are still some common questions left that we want to answer for you. Usually, people’s curiosities are similar. This is why we have prepared a short list of the most frequent questions regarding almond butter.
- chevron-circle-right Q: For how long can I keep my homemade almond butter?
- chevron-circle-rightA: The shelf life of homemade almond butter depends on a lot of things. Firstly, you should know precisely what you’ve put in it and the shelf life of those particular ingredients. For example, if you added certain extras like honey or vanilla, the shelf life will be much shorter. Also, it’s important NOT to soak the almonds beforehand! That will also reduce its shelf life. However, most raw and natural homemade almond butters should last in the fridge about 6 to 8 weeks. If you used sweeteners, then it should last a maximum of 2 weeks.
- chevron-circle-right Q: Do I really have to store almond butter in the fridge?
- chevron-circle-rightA: We can see where this question is coming from. Storing your almond butter in the fridge will make it extra hard and very difficult to use. However, the official rule tells us to refrigerate the almond butter. Once you’ve opened the jar, unsweetened butter becomes very susceptible to spoilage and rancidity. These unsaturated oils, as healthy as they are, also oxidize incredibly quickly. Even if eating rancid almond butter will not harm you very much, you should NEVER do it as it can get quite nasty. However, you should know that rancidity does not affect almond butter overnight and might not do it for a few weeks. So, the main idea is that you are eating almond butter regularly, you can store it out of the fridge. The jar will be gone in days and you won’t risk anything bad. You will still need to keep it in a dry, cool and dark place. Also, you can buy smaller jars of butter to make sure that you won’t waste any. However, if you know you won’t eat your butter for a few weeks or very rarely, it might be best to refrigerate it.
In conclusion, this was our article on the best almond butter on the market right now and its amazing health benefits! If you are one of those people who love the ever so popular peanut butter, you might love almond butter too and it’s really worth a try. Its benefits are countless, from decreasing the risk of cardiovascular disease to helping with losing weight, offering enough protein for athletes along with a boost of energy. It also helps strengthen your muscles and bones and improves your blood cholesterol levels. Moreover, it tastes very good and can be used in a lot of ways. You can incorporate it in a variety of tasty recipes from ice cream to cookies, wraps, on your toast or on your morning oatmeal.
While there are of course some drawbacks for certain categories of people when it comes to almond butter, it is still a healthy alternative for you to choose. Allergic people should not consume it as well as those struggling with kidney and gall bladder issues. Also, you should be very careful about what kind of almond butter you choose and to avoid those with too many sweeteners, additives, hydrogenated fats and too much sodium. All in all, almond butter is the new trend when it comes to healthy eating and we think it may become even more popular than the classic peanut butter. Do you have any other questions that we failed to answer in our article? Write them down below and let us know your opinion? Have you ever tried almond butter before? What did you think?
External References & Citations
- chevron-circle-right Recipe for homemade almond butter
- chevron-circle-right How to eat almond butter
- chevron-circle-right How to lose weight by eating almond butter
Last update on 2023-04-18 at 02:11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API