Summer sunburn is the worst. Scratch that. ANY sunburn is the worst no matter what time of year it is. Not only are you left peeling for days and even weeks to come, but it also incredibly painful. We are here to help all of your sunburn needs. The following is a compilation of sunburn remedies that work and are best at helping relieve sunburn pain.
Store Bought Sunburn Remedies
If you need sunburn treatment FAST and are too in pain to make a home remedy, here are some easy store bought sunburn remedies that are universally carried. These sunburn relief options offer immediate help and come at an affordable price. As a disclaimer, these are not ads for any of the following products listed.
Buying an aloe vera plant is a cheap and economic choice in sunburn relief. An aloe vera plant is extremely easy to take care of and is a resource that can be replenished if you take care of it right. Aloe offers immediate relief that is easy to access and use by simply taking a stem off of the plant and cutting it in half and rubbing the natural gel onto your sunburned area.
Keep your skin from swelling or inflaming with some inflammatory product, such as [easyazon_link identifier=”B004ZCT1M2″ locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]Advil[/easyazon_link]or [easyazon_link identifier=”B00802ZGGI” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]Ibuprofen[/easyazon_link]. This will help with the stinging sensation that you experience when touching, or even brushing, your sunburned skin. This anti-inflammatory product will not immediately relieve your sunburn pain, but it will contribute to healing.
Products with Witch Hazel
Buying products with [easyazon_link identifier=”B000PIMUR8″ locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]witch hazel[/easyazon_link] in it are extremely beneficial for preventing damage from sunburn. Witch hazel is known for healing damaged skin, so it makes sense that you would use some on a sunburn. Witch hazel will cut down on healing time and can even prevent potential peeling and tearing of skin from sunburn. What’s not to love?
Buying an [easyazon_link identifier=”B01EMCEDB8″ locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]after sun cream yogurt treatment[/easyazon_link] will do wonders for your skin after getting a sunburn. Not only does it have a cooling sensation, but it is also great for moisturizing your sunburn. This quick skin relief product is incorporated in a spray and a lotion. Yogurt treatments are especially calming for kids and babies as the child and baby will feel an instant cooling relief on their bad sunburn.
Sunburn Home Remedies
Severe and extreme sunburns can be treated at home. That’s right. you don’t need a special potion for sunburn relief when everything you need is right at home! This saves both money and time spent at the grocery store. Win-win for sure. Here are some of our favorite home remedies for sunburn.
A finely ground oatmeal works as a great anti-inflammatory remedy when put into a bath. This relaxing and cooling bath will do an amazing job in reducing redness and itching on your face, eyes, lips, and all other body parts in an instant. It can also help in the prevention of itchy skin and annoying peeling.
Surprise! [easyazon_link identifier=”B00286KM8E” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]Black tea[/easyazon_link] is an amazing thing that not only tastes wonderful but helps sunburns! By steeping tea bags and applying it to your skin, the tea will help speed recovery, prevent itch, reduce peeling, and make your burn look more like a tan. How great is that? Even if your sunburn is pretty intense with a blister (or blisters), black tea is still a helpful treatment to your burned skin.
Baking Soda Bath
Soaking in a bathtub full of water that is infused with baking soda is a great sunburn remedy. This mixture helps calm sunburns while providing a natural healing. Baking soda seems to be a miracle mineral as it seems to be in so many skin care tips. Add this sunburn relief remedy to your list the next time you get sunburned and need a treatment that works!
DIY Sunburn Remedies
If you love to craft and make things from scratch, then these fun and easy DIYs are for you! Have fun gathering materials and following instructions with these inexpensive projects!
Soothing Sunburn Relief Spray
This all natural relief spray has great ingredients that are perfect for sunburn relief and healing. Here are the ingredients that you will need:
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 TB[easyazon_link identifier=”B001VNGN9C” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]dried chamomile[/easyazon_link] or 2 [easyazon_link identifier=”B000F4DKCG” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]pure chamomile tea bags[/easyazon_link]
- 1 [easyazon_link identifier=”B0042IMPTU” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]green tea bag[/easyazon_link]
- 1/2 cup [easyazon_link identifier=”B000Q01KHQ” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]aloe vera gel[/easyazon_link] I like Real Aloe brand. I purchase it from our local health food store.
- 1 TB [easyazon_link identifier=”B01EW16TCK” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]apple cider vinegar[/easyazon_link]
- 10 drops [easyazon_link identifier=”B00TSTZQEY” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]lavender essential oil[/easyazon_link] I like [easyazon_link identifier=”B005V22SEI” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]Plant Therapy[/easyazon_link] or [easyazon_link identifier=”B001DJ6J0C” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]Aura Cacia[/easyazon_link].
Now that you have gathered all of the needed here is what you need to do:
Add the chamomile tea bags, or loose flowers, and green tea bag to the hot water, and steep for 10 minutes. Strain the tea bag(s) (and loose flowers, if using) away from the tea water. I use a cheesecloth when working with the loose flowers. If you’re just using tea bags, simply remove the bags from the infused tea.
Whisk together the tea, aloe vera gel, apple cider vinegar, and essential oil. Using a funnel, pour the mixture into a spay bottle. Store the spray in the fridge for 1 week. Discard after 1 week.
This relief spray is proven to aid in soothing sunburns and helping them heal faster and efficiently. This DIY also helps prevent further damage done to your skin and help your peeling keep to a minimum.
Sunburn Relief Gel
This sunburn relief gel is a simple, natural gel that is guaranteed to make you sunburn feel better. The three ingredients that you will need to make this miracle gel is:
- 100% [easyazon_link identifier=”B06XDNKH65″ locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]pure aloe vera Gel[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00QQOERJE” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]Pure Lavender Essential Oil[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00OEIBJRW” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]Pure Peppermint Essential Oil[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0026HOAM4″ locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]Small hermetic jar[/easyazon_link]
Once you have found all of the materials and have measure them out, all you have to do is:
- Add 3 Tablespoons Pure Aloe Vera Gel into a small Hermetic jar.
- After you add the Aloe Vera Gel into the jar then you will add 15 drops pure Lavender Essential Oil.
- Add 15 drops Pure Peppermint Essential Oil.
- With a stick or back end of a spoon stir until the oils and aloe vera are mixed well. It will turn your aloe vera slightly cloudy.
- Then Seal the lid and it is ready to use!
This DIY remedy is the best because lavender and peppermint help aloe vera to instantly stop pain, stop burning, soothe, moisturize, reduces chance of peeling, turns sunburns into a tan, and keeps your skin smooth and soft! This is a miracle gel that will be on your next DIY to try!
Sunburn Relief Cream
We have a DIY for a sunburn relief spray and a sunburn relief gel, so we figured we only have to find a sunburn relief cream to complete the DIY list. This sunburn relief cream is one of the best DIYs out there and is super simple and easy to make. You will be finished making it in not time at all. Really! Here is what you will need to get or buy at the store:
- 1 cup of [easyazon_link identifier=”B00DS842HS” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]coconut oil[/easyazon_link]
- 1/2 cup of [easyazon_link identifier=”B00WRN3TBU” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]Aloe Vera Gel[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00PYS7R7M” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]Lavender essential oil[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00QJCFWSI” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]tea tree oil[/easyazon_link], optional
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B009VUHLHA” locale=”US” tag=”beautifu0f2-20″]hand mixer[/easyazon_link] (or stand mixer)
- Plastic or Glass storage container
What is awesome about this DIY is that you mostly have all the ingredients in your own kitchen! Once you have found all of them, follow these instructions:
- Add 1 cup of the coconut oil to your mixing bowl
- Add 1/2 cup of aloe vera gel
- Add 20 drops of lavender essential oil and peppermint essential oil each
- If you have tea tree oil on hand, you can also add some of that (has healing qualities for burns)
- Use a whisk and mix all of these ingredients together
- Once your mixture is smooth, let it cool to room temperature.
Mix your lotion for 5-7 minutes til it is a whipped, luxurious cream texture
This cream is so smooth and has healing qualities that can help with blisters and the most stubborn sunburn. Break up with your sunburn once and for all with this magical sunburn relief cream.
When it comes to sunburn, everyone gets it, but no one wants to talk about it. Hopefully, this article was full of information that you found both helpful and exciting. Now you have three different ways of getting relief with a multitude of ideas on how to apply relief specifically to your sunburned skin. You can go buy an aloe plant at the store, fish out the black tea in the pantry to make a tea bath, or even attempt to make the sunburn relief cream that is filled with amazing ingredients, like coconut oil and lavender essential oil, to help keep your sunburn controlled and feeling better. These many different avenues offer different ways that your sunburn can be soothed. If one idea does not work, just continue down the list! The opportunities are definitely endless. Please let us know what remedies work for you and are your favorites. Also any that should be added! Happy sunburn healing!