I know what you’re thinking. How is putting charcoal on my teeth supposed to whiten them? But that is an old misconception, stemming from the fact that charcoal is black, which makes you believe it couldn’t possibly whiten anything. However, once you understand how it works, you’ll actually be thankful. So, use this activated charcoal toothpaste recipe and watch your teeth get whiter right at home.
How Does Activated Charcoal Work?
It’s simple, really. It’s a special type of charcoal that has been treated to increase the surface area of its molecules by as much as 100 times. This means that it has some sort of superhero absorbent qualities. Why does that matter to us? Because this makes it the perfect ingredient in an activated charcoal toothpaste recipe. It will draw out stains from your teeth like a magnet! Therefore, now that we know the chemistry behind it let’s take a look at the recipe itself.
The Activated Charcoal Toothpaste Recipe
Needless to say, because we are attempting to make toothpaste with whitening properties right at home, rather than going out and buying one with whitening chemicals, you are supposed to use all-natural ingredients. This is what you will need.
- Two tablespoons of activated charcoal
- Two tablespoons of coconut oil, preferably liquid. You can heat it up a bit if you currently have the solid kind, it will work fine just the same.
- Ten drops of liquid stevia to sweeten the recipe.
- Five drops of lemon or peppermint essential oil.
- A glass jar.
- One ceramic bowl for mixing.
How to do it
- If you bought activated charcoal capsules instead of powder, first break those apart into a fine powder until you get the two tablespoons needed for this recipe.
- Mix all the ingredients at the same time in your ceramic or glass bowl. Keep stirring until you get a paste.
- Store it in a glass jar.
Recommended read – How to Remove Plaque from Teeth: 8 Easy Solutions
Tips on how to use it
- Only a pea sized amount of this toothpaste will be sufficient.
- You can first rub it all over your teeth and gums with your finger and then wet your toothbrush and use it as you would normally do.
- It’s best if you brush twice every morning and twice every night before you go to sleep for at least two minutes.
- If you don’t like lemon, which is used here as a freshening agent, you can always use peppermint essential oil. It will make your toothpaste taste and feel like a traditional spearmint one.
- Stevia is used to sweeten it up. Therefore, you can add more drops if you like it sweeter or you can skip it altogether if you don’t like how the resulting product tastes. It’s all up to you.
Here is the activated charcoal toothpaste recipe that we promised. As you can see, it’s extremely easy to make right at home, it’s healthy, and safe to use for everyone. Fun fact: Activated charcoal is also great for skin! All you need to do now is start brushing your teeth with it and write to us in the comment section below to let us know just how white your teeth are getting in this natural way!